Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks so much for posting the article. I love that it comes with video too.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome! I love the videos too, it's great to watch them and reminisce about that season.

More AI and videos:

Quote:
First Person: My 'American Idol' Experience, by David Cook

David Cook
January 12, 2016

The 15th and final bittersweet season of American Idol is underway, and all season long, Yahoo Music’s Reality Rocks is inviting alumni from the series to share their stories. And who better to participate in this special essay series than Season 7 champion David Cook, one of the most important contestants to ever win the show? Here, he reveals what was going through his mind on the night he said “Hello” to his Idol fate.

I think, at first glance, it’s easy to characterize American Idol as nothing but just another in a long line of television shows that have had their moment in the sun. Hell, on the surface, it’s hard to argue with that. The plot synopsis of “TV show finds someone and turns them into an overnight success” is certainly palatable on a base level. I’ll be the first to admit that before I was on the show, that plot synopsis was the beginning and end of my view of AI.

But, having gone through the experience, I can say that Idol represents so much more than that, especially to the few that have had the opportunity to find their feet planted on that stage, if even for a short time. The amount of time and energy committed by people behind the scenes to make sure that you don’t fall flat on your face for the few minutes a week you’re front and center on people’s televisions is insane, and I never saw that effort done with anything but a genuine desire to see the contestants succeed.

I remember every single time, while the people at home were watching the lead-in videos, where we’d be explaining our song choice for the week (while sitting in an area of Los Angeles that had just the perfect view behind us), Debbie or Spence, the AI stage managers, would walk up to me while I was standing there in front of the microphone, looking out at a bunch of expensive cameras and lights, trying not to A) forget the lyrics that were rolling around in my head, or B) throw up. They’d give me a quick pep talk, or a reminder to not lock my knees so I didn’t pass out, or even just a not-really-all-that-funny joke to get me to not think about the fact that I was about to sing in front of, literally, millions of people.

And there was vocal coach Debra Byrd, who was so influential on me from the get-go. I had been on the show for a couple weeks, receiving middling reviews at best, and somehow had dodged the chopping block to get to the top 16. That week, the theme was ‘80s Week, and I thought for sure I was gone. I had resigned myself to it, and after talking with friends, we picked a song I thought would be, at least, funny: A power ballad version of Lionel Richie’s “Hello.” I went to Byrd with it, and ran through it a couple times to get the edit right, and she just told me to go back to the hotel and figure out how to stop “singing” the song and start “performing” the song. Break the lyrics down, and figure out how to tell the story in front of a camera, she said. That performance ended up being a huge turning point for me, and not just for Idol but for my music career ever since.

Those are just a couple examples. For every person associated with AI, both onscreen and behind the scenes, there’s a story. Those stories didn’t come from their desire to one day be mentioned in an “American Idol Retrospective” Yahoo essay (Except maybe Spence. [Insert inside joke about manatees here]). Those stories come from being around good people who care. The opportunity to be a member of this small fraternity, and to be lucky enough to have those relationships as a result has been and will probably always be my favorite part of the Idol experience.

Source
Great article by David! 'Hello' was really a turning point in his Idol journey and the rest is history!

---------

Since I missed the last 2.5 months of 2015, here's a random interview from November. xD

Never too late to watch and listen to him talk.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

That was a nice article. So much love for 'Hello', by the way. I'm glad that performance happened. Kudos to his vocal coach.

Haha, thanks for posting that random interview. I haven't seen it yet so I'll watch it now.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's an amazing performance and a definitely a game changer for David's journey on Idol and for the whole show. Big kudos to the vocal coach indeed. And it was nice to read David's own thoughts about it.

You're welcome, hope you enjoyed!

========

David will mentor on AI again:

Quote:
The following night, Thursday, Feb. 18 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), former IDOLs Constantine Maroulis, Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler, Jordin Sparks, David Cook and Haley Reinhart return to perform duets with the second group of semi-finalists before the judges reveal who is moving on in the competition and who will be sent home.

Source
(Okay, it says just duets in that blurb but if you click on the link, mentoring is mentioned there.)

------

I think these are from the TCA event:

How American Idol has changed lives, including his:

What he's doing now:

Describing his new album, "Digital Vein":

How he'll return to AMERICAN IDOL next week:

The night he won American Idol:

Old 02-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ralphie Aversa interviewing David at the 58th Grammys backstage:

The 58th GRAMMYs: David Cook

David talks about baseball, Andrew getting married (congrats!), Digital Vein & touring, Stevie Van Zandt being David's friend, mentoring on AI, possibly doing Broadway.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the videos and the interview
Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Preview of David's session with one of his duet partners on Idol tonight:

American Idol: Olivia Works With David Cook Trailer (2016) - Video Detective

Alternate: American Idol: Olivia Works With David Cook | Movie Trailers | Videos | Movie Teasers | Action Movie Addicts

----------

Interview from the the Grammy's:

Andre Styles talks to David Cook at The Grammy's

He cracks up in the beginning. Then he talks about his fans and the final season of American Idol.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks so much for the videos! I'm looking forward to watching him today on AI. I'm listening to the interview on soundcloud right now, I like how appreciative he is of his fans.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome! I just finished watching David's parts on Idol and I loved them! And yeah, he is sweet being so appreciative but always say fans have much more to be appreciative of than he does.

=========

Idol round-up:

His duets with this year's Idol contestants:

CJ Johnson and David - The World I Know

ETA: YT video:

Aw, the memories! David's performance of this is still one of the most amazing moments in the entire Idol history. Loving David's bits here. It's a lovely performance but let's face it, nobody does this song better than David (not even Collective Soul xD). The judges can shut up though.

Olivia Rox and David - Light On

ETA: YT video:

Wow, quite a performance! I got David Cook show vibes the moment David started this song. He is so good! But Olivia held her own, it was a great duet! Loved how giddy she got to be singing with him, and who could blame her? Now I need to listen to Light On!

David sounded and looked so good! I also loved the mentoring parts, as per usual David gave them both excellent advice. He is just so wise. And the last poses before the show cuts back to the performances, typical David.

-------

A couple of articles:

Quote:
'American Idol' Alums Jordin Sparks, Chris Daughtry & More on Coming Home to Duet With Season 15 Singers

2/18/2016 by Fred Bronson

David Cook, Kellie Pickler, Haley Reinhart & Constantine Maroulis also return for Thursday's show.

The producers of American Idol promised that the final chapter of the long-running series would honor the show's history. While it's still early in the current season, they are already keeping that pledge, bringing back 12 Idols from years past to duet with contestants from season 15. On Thursday night (Feb. 19), Idols from seasons 4 (Constantine Maroulis), 5 (Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler), 6 (Jordin Sparks), 7 (David Cook) and 10 (Haley Reinhart) will mentor and sing with 12 of the finalists from the top 24.

These six former competitors weren't just lending their support to this year's group; they were also returning to a familiar place and experiencing déjà vu by interacting with production staff they knew from their time on the Fox series. Billboard spent a couple of days with the previous Idols to ask about their experience of coming home.

"We had mentors come through on my season and I asked a lot of the same questions this year's contestants are asking," says Cook. "I remember Fantasia and Kellie Pickler coming back during our season. It was great getting to pick their brains. We had Annie Lennox come through and Neil Diamond. Then we got more into questions about performing and interpreting songs."

Cook will duet with Olivia Rox and CJ Johnson on Thursday's episode. "The advice I've given them is that you can't control how people are going to perceive you or how they're going to vote. But you can control how good a performance you put on. You can communicate and connect with the people at home. Make sure you're interpreting the song in an authentic way. It's easy to get in 'concert mode' where you connect with the people in the room. So when you go through camera blocking, make sure that you find those moments in the song where you can connect with the people at home. Olivia and CJ are really receptive, so hopefully I'm steering them in the right direction. I'm really looking forward to giving them a chance to shine so they can [remain on the show]. From the interaction I've had with them, it seems they're worthy of sticking around."

Source & the rest of the article
Quote:
‘Idol’ winner David Cook: Olivia Rox and CJ Johnson ‘blew my mind’ with their talent

by Aaron Pruner at 02:02 PM on Feb 18, 2016

Thursday (Feb. 18) will find several “American Idol” favorites returning to the competition series to lend their expertise in helping the new crop of hopefuls. Last week found the likes of Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino and Scotty McCreery taking the stage for some power duets.

The second round of alumni duets will find Jordin Sparks, Constantine Maroulis, Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler and David Cook returning to the “Idol” stage. Zap2it spoke with Cook — who took home the top prize in Season 7 — about the challenges he’s faced in returning to the show as a mentor.

Forgive the nerdy reference here, but … once a Padawan, you’ve now returned as a Jedi Master. How does it feel being back at ‘American Idol?’

I think this is such a unique experience and ultimately when all is said and done, only a couple hundred people get to go through it. So, to be able to come back and maybe help the new crop of people navigate it a little bit, I welcome that.

So far from what I’ve gathered, they’ve all seemed obviously talented but I think they get it and they’re appreciative and it’s making for a good vibe. It’s fun to be around.

Who are you mentoring?

I’m paired with Olivia Rox and CJ Johnson. It was crazy because, when I was on “Idol” and going through that, I put a lot on myself with the arrangements and how you’re to cut songs down for time.

So, I thought coming in this week it was going to be a lot of the same, you know? Like I was going to work with them on that, but then I came in and they were done and ready. Olivia even had harmonies mapped out on one of these songs — just stuff that blew my mind. They are super talented.

For lack of better term, you're a seasoned professional now. Has your presence, along with the rest of the mentors, helped to raise their game?

You know, I don’t know. It’s a competition and whether or not the alumni are coming around, I hope they have that mentality every week. I’m telling you, I haven’t seen a weak performance in this group yet. It makes the decision pretty tough for those voting.

Is there one piece of advice you've taken from your time on 'Idol' that you still use in your career to this day?

One of the things I learned really quickly on the show is that, you know ... as a performer, you are there to serve the song and not the other way around. I grew up doing the band thing in Kansas City and Tulsa and I always felt like I could just get by having a good voice, you know?

Ultimately, that just proved to not be true … at least, for me. I learned to dissect lyrics. I learned to read the story of the song before you ever touch the music. You’re not just singing the song, you’re performing the song.

That’s really what I’ve tried to push this week mentoring CJ and Olivia: try as much as you can in the limited time that you have each week to internalize these songs and make them your own.

What challenges lie ahead in the upcoming alumni duets? It feels like the judges are expecting a lot.

I remember going through our season and obviously we had Neil Diamond, Mariah Carey and Dolly Parton come in. You’re singing the songs in front of them and it’s like, how on Earth am I supposed to internalize this song when the person who wrote it is standing and staring lasers through me?

I would hope that there’s nothing like that going on this week. It is easy, especially realizing what’s on the other side of the camera, to become a deer in headlights real quick. What I talked to CJ and Olivia a little bit about this week was, just to zone in on what you can control which is your performance.

Everything else is going to figure itself out depending on how well you do with that minute you have in front of the camera. It’s a pressure cooker, for sure.

There are so many moving parts with the band, the venue, the cameras, the audience, the judges and the partner on stage. When it's done well, though ...

You hear it all the time on the show: create the moment. That’s, to me, what it means. Finding your pocket on stage where the audience can really connect with what you’re doing.

Source
I especially love what he said about internalizing the song and understanding the lyrics. David is a master at that!

Quote:
Olivia Rox and David Cook light up the ‘Idol’ stage

by Aaron Pruner at 08:02 PM on Feb 18, 2016

One of the standout performers in "American Idol" this season, is Olivia Rox. The 16-year-old singer has continually impressed the judges and viewers of the competition series.

In Thursday's (Feb. 18) episode, Rox was paired up with Season 7 winner David Cook and the two performed the alumni's hit song, "Light On."

She may be young, but Rox brings with her a vocal gift and wisdom that helps her on-stage alongside her mentor. Not only matching his intensity, she succeeds at holding her own with a unique star quality that is recognized by the judges and audience alike.

It's no surprise, really, that Rox is one of the hopefuls picked to move on in the competition. Not only did she light up the stage, next to Cook, it's possible she may go far in the show's final season. With talent like that, she has a brilliant career ahead of her.

Source
Wow, she is only 16! She did a very good job and I wish her luck in the competition!

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 02-18-2016 at 11:38 PM
Old 02-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Another review:

Quote:
Review: David Cook and Olivia Rox stun on Light On duet on American Idol Special

By Markos Papadatos Feb 19, 2016 in Music

Singer-songwriter David Cook returned to the platform that made his famous, "American Idol," and dueted with contestant Olivia Rox.

Rox is in the Top 24, and this marks the farewell season of the reality singing competition, American Idol.

She went on to duet "Light On" with Cook, which she dubbed as one of her favorite songs of his, and Cook concurred that it is one of his favorites to play live, since it poses a challenge for him.

As they performed their "Light On" collaboration, Cook accompanied her on electric guitar, and both their vocals together proved to be a true force of nature. Cook praised Rox for her "powerhouse voice," and rightfully so.

The Verdict
Overall, David Cook and Olivia Rox stunned on their vocal collaboration for "Light On." They were able to set the bar really high for the other contestants, and it was a fitting homage for her mentor, David Cook. They both earned an A for a job well done.

Source

This is sweet (check out the video):

Quote:
Blue Springs South teacher remembers American Idol winner David Cook for talent, mentoring ability

Posted 9:45 pm, February 18, 2016, by Abby Eden

BLUE SPRINGS, Mo. -- It was eight years ago that the world was introduced to David Cook, the newest American Idol. His rock n’ roll style made him stand out from previous idols, but as a student in Blue Springs South High School, he was already known as a standout.

"I have wonderful memories of him as my Petruchio with Taming of the Shrew sitting here in his goofy Renaissance costume," said Susan Cooper.

Susan Cooper was Cook's drama teacher, and she remembers him for his talent and character.

"David has always been a mentor and looking out for those who are coming up behind him," said Cooper.

Cooper says it doesn't surprise her, therefore, that he was chosen to help young idols on Thursday's American Idol episode.

"He has never been someone to put on airs, to get a big head about things," said Cooper.

As she looks through her folder of newspaper clippings of some of Cook's accomplishments, Cooper admits she still sees Cook as the silly sophomore in her class, but she's proud that he's become so much more.

"He's always been genuine," said Cooper.

Video at the source
Aw, love all the nice things his former teacher said about him.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

New interview:

Quote:
‘American Idol’ bits: David Cook interview (Terminal West, Feb. 24), Power 14 rankings

By RODNEY HO/ rho@ajc.com, originally filed Tuesday, February 23, 2016

David Cook won “American Idol” seven years ago when the show was near its peak of popularity and his name became in instant household name as a result. Today, “Idol” is a relative shadow of its former self, closing shop in seven weeks with very little buzz attached.

But 10 million viewers are still nothing to sneeze at.

Cook performed one final time during last week’s pre-taped Thursday semifinal episode. He mentored and dueted with two of the semifinalists: rocker CJ Johnson and bubbly teen ingenue Olivia Rox. Johnson didn’t make the top 14 cut. Rox breezed through and is now considered one of the top-tier candidates to win the final season.

“Olivia for her age has a very strong grasp of musical elements that I didn’t pick up until my mid-20s,” said Cook, who is coming to Atlanta Wednesday at Terminal West. (He was 25 when he first appeared live on “Idol” in 2008). “She created strong harmonies. And I got to meet her folks off camera. You can kind of see that they’re a musical family for sure.”

He enjoyed working with both singers. “They made the process really enjoyable. You run the risk of finding someone whose personality doesn’t mesh with yours. I lucked out. However they put that together, they knew.”

Cook said he was a little apprehensive returning on the show after a long absence but he “fell right into pocket” and got to hang with other “Idol” alums such as Haley Reinhart, Chris Daughtry, Constantine Maroulis and Jordin Sparks. “I love that girl to death,” he said, referencing Sparks. “And I’m friends with her manager.”

He said it was a bit odd singing his most popular song “Light On” as a duet with Johnson.

“I hadn’t had much fun playing that song in awhile,” he said. “It was awesome to bring in that new energy.”

His concert at 600-capacity Terminal West was by choice. He could have gone bigger. “We talked about wanting to do some more intimate shows,” he said. “I love being able to connect with as many people as possible not just on a crowd basis but one-on-one basis. I want everybody coming to a show and feel like they’re part of a special experience. We play different sets every night. The banter is not predetermined. If the joke’s bad, it’s just bad for that night if that’s any consolation!”

The tour will promote his latest album “Digital Vein,” which is his first post-RCA Records indie release.

“I’m a sucker for creative control,” Cook said. “I took on the challenge with this record of self producing. It’s something I hadn’t done since before ‘Idol.’ I was fortunate to have experiences I had with RCA, to get to work with amazing producers, to take those lessons and experiences to bring it into this new project. You become this amalgam of your favorite producer moments.”

He said his last studio album “This Loud Morning” in 2011 was a tough undertaking. His brother Adam died of a brain tumor in 2009. Cook, supporting his first album, was touring nonstop, he said, partly to ward off the grief. His brother’s death didn’t really hit him hard until he was working on “This Loud Morning.”

After that, he took a little time off, even wondering if he wanted to create any more music. He started “Digital Vein” to see if he could get the juices flowing again. And fortunately, it did.

And given Cook’s special ability to take a cover song and place his own special stamp on it, he put a cover on “Digital Vein” of Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game.”

Oh, and Cook is still excited that his Kansas City Royals won the World Series last fall. He didn’t get a chance to make it to a World Series game but did make it to an ALCS playoff. He worked for the Royals in the suites delivering food in college. “I spent way too much time watching the games when I shouldn’t have,” Cook said.

Source
------------

ETA: Another interview in video:

Video | WAGA

He talks about his one person entourage , playing smaller venues, mentoring on Idol, changing musically, the inspiration behind Criminals, and in the end the reporter compliments on his hair.

======

Stuff that I missed last week:

I will have to watch these.

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 02-24-2016 at 01:10 PM
Old 03-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the latest. So much to catch up on!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome! And I know right. I am so damn behind with everything.

I should have posted this when it came out but it's still not too late, you've still got time to buy a ticket.

Quote:
Watch the David Cook Race for Hope Benefit Concert LIVE STREAM April 30th!

We know that you would not want to miss David Cook’s Storytellers-style full-band performance on April 30th, but that not everyone can make it to the Clarendon Ballroom in Arlington, Virginia so, we’re bringing the concert to you, with 100% of all ticket proceeds benefiting David Cook’s 2016 Race for Hope-DC Team for a Cure! This is a unique opportunity to hear the stories behind the songs straight from David himself!

David Cook Storytellers – Race for Hope Benefit Concert
Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 7:00 PM EDT
–| CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKET TO LIVE STREAM |–

Are you going to be in the Washington, DC area that weekend?
-| CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS TO CLARENDON BALLROOM |-

Finding a cure for brain tumors and providing support to brain tumor patients and their families is a cause that’s very close to David’s heart and, since 2009, he and his fans have raised more than $1 million for brain cancer research through his involvement with the Race for Hope-DC and various fundraisers.

To learn more about the Race for Hope-DC, David’s 2016 Team for a Cure, and to make a donation, please visit braintumorcommunity.org and help spread the word with these great badges and banners!

Source
I bought a ticket! To the live stream obviously. I really loved it when David did this for the Digital Vein release party so I'm excited to be able to watch his show in real time again!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

I completely missed that. Did you get to watch the show?