Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Spirit (View Post)
It might be too much for the audience....
I don't care, I want to see it.

Quote:
Aw, really? That happens sometimes.
I think the official AI channel is doing that to the videos from the past seasons so the focus would be on the current season's videos. It's still stupid.

Quote:
True! (I can't believe how horribly written my reply to you was, by the way. Terrible. Thanks for understanding me. )
Aw, no problem, I know I write some incoherent stuff sometimes but as long as the message is relayed.

Quote:
'Eyes On You' too! You know it's my favorite out of the new songs. It's so much fun with a unique sound. I love all of them, so I'd be happy with anything. Ahh, I do hope he can have a record done by then. I'd love to hear a performance him!
It has a really unique sound, that's why I love it so much. Well, as long as he performs, I'd be happy with any song too. Only a few weeks left, hurry up David.

Quote:
Agree with all of it! I guess Simon wanted David to perform one of the songs he really nailed in his earlier performances, which I get, but I like that he performed a different song. That final touch was my favorite touch.
Yeah, I get Simon's logic behind it but luckily David was smarter than Simon and did something more special instead.

Quote:
They knew they saw something special.
They were right.

Quote:
It's hard to imagine you ever not being a fan of David's.
I know right, it feels like an alternate universe or something.

Quote:
David did such a great job as mentor, so enjoyable to watch him in action with the contestants! He really gave good advice and he was really honest and helpful. I actually wanted to see how everyone did after hearing his feedback so I watched the performances too which I wasn't planning on. Oh and I loved David's intro!
I totally agree! David said in an interview that he did his homework and went back and watched all the performances of the remaining contestants so far. I love that he committed to his job there and didn't just half-ass it to get some face time. He really wanted to do a great job and help the contestants and he certainly did! I loved his intro too, his AI journey was so epic, so it was nice to reminisce on it a little bit.

Quote:
Yes to David being a mentor all the time! Or, at the very least, maybe one more time? It would be nice to see him again. He did look good, loved the glasses too. Thanks for bringing in that picture.
He's the best mentor they've ever had. They'd be lucky to have him there all the time. He looked so handsome and smart with the glasses!

Quote:
On a different note, Ryan's comment about none of the contestants being born yet in the 80's (did I hear that right?) stood out to me. I had to comment on it.
Yeah I think Ryan said that. We are getting old. xD
Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
I don't care, I want to see it.
They'd need to be a warning sign in advance.

Quote:
I think the official AI channel is doing that to the videos from the past seasons so the focus would be on the current season's videos. It's still stupid.
But I love the past more!

Quote:
Aw, no problem, I know I write some incoherent stuff sometimes but as long as the message is relayed.
Ha, true. But I really did ramble incoherently there, I did a double take re-reading what I wrote. Next time that happens, and it will, let me know. I'll appreciate it.

Quote:
It has a really unique sound, that's why I love it so much. Well, as long as he performs, I'd be happy with any song too. Only a few weeks left, hurry up David.
Hurry David! On a serious note, even if he doesn't end up performing...I'm just happy we got to see him back again with that mentor appearance. So enjoyable.

Quote:
Yeah, I get Simon's logic behind it but luckily David was smarter than Simon and did something more special instead.
Seemed the crowd really loved it. For me, it hit an emotional mark.

Quote:
I know right, it feels like an alternate universe or something.
Good thing those days are long past.

Quote:
I totally agree! David said in an interview that he did his homework and went back and watched all the performances of the remaining contestants so far. I love that he committed to his job there and didn't just half-ass it to get some face time. He really wanted to do a great job and help the contestants and he certainly did! I loved his intro too, his AI journey was so epic, so it was nice to reminisce on it a little bit.
Oh, that's a great think about doing his homework and watching those performances. He really did want to do his best. Very nice.

Quote:
He's the best mentor they've ever had. They'd be lucky to have him there all the time. He looked so handsome and smart with the glasses!
I wouldn't be surprised if he came back again. He did! He always does, but the glasses add a nice little extra touch of it.

Quote:
Yeah I think Ryan said that. We are getting old. xD
This was my first thought.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
They'd need to be a warning sign in advance.
Yes, a warning of hotness.

Quote:
But I love the past more!
Me too!

Quote:
Ha, true. But I really did ramble incoherently there, I did a double take re-reading what I wrote. Next time that happens, and it will, let me know. I'll appreciate it.
Aw, I'm sure it won't happen again.

Quote:
Hurry David! On a serious note, even if he doesn't end up performing...I'm just happy we got to see him back again with that mentor appearance. So enjoyable.
It looks like they broke the tradition and he won't perform this year.

Quote:
Seemed the crowd really loved it. For me, it hit an emotional mark.
For me too.

Quote:
Good thing those days are long past.
Yep, I've seen the light.

Quote:
Oh, that's a great think about doing his homework and watching those performances. He really did want to do his best. Very nice.
That's just the kind of person he is.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if he came back again. He did! He always does, but the glasses add a nice little extra touch of it.
They should have him back next season. With the glasses.

Quote:
This was my first thought.
You can't fight the time.

----

It's almost the 6th anniversary of David's AI win.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Yes, a warning of hotness.
That kind of warning should just follow him everywhere.

Quote:
Me too!
Erasing the past isn't going to make us love the present cast more.

Quote:
Aw, I'm sure it won't happen again.
We'll see.

Quote:
It looks like they broke the tradition and he won't perform this year.
Right, AI is over isn't it?

Quote:
Yep, I've seen the light.
Once you get hooked on The David, you never go back.

Quote:
That's just the kind of person he is.
On point. I'd be really excited to see him mentor again.

Quote:
They should have him back next season. With the glasses.
Yes, please.

Quote:
You can't fight the time.
Unfortunately.

----

Quote:
It's almost the 6th anniversary of David's AI win.
Darn, I should have posted here earlier! Here's a spam of pictures.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
That kind of warning should just follow him everywhere.
With a neon sign.

Quote:
Erasing the past isn't going to make us love the present cast more.
Exactly.

Quote:
Right, AI is over isn't it?
Yeah, the finale was this week.

Quote:
Once you get hooked on The David, you never go back.
This needs to be a title. I especially love The David. xD

Quote:
On point. I'd be really excited to see him mentor again.
Fingers crossed he'll be back!

Quote:
Darn, I should have posted here earlier! Here's a spam of pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/TQaeJug.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5zS3942.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jR6WBV1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jHYjGLy.jpg
I love this spam! Thanks for posting! Needless to say which ones are my favorites.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
With a neon sign.
Yes.

Quote:
Exactly.
Speaking of that, I've went back and watched a few old David performances again. Always Be My Baby, Billie Jean and a few others, one from Archie (since you've been posting some Cookeleta goodies), and old performance of Carrie's and one of Kelly's, some select stuff from season 5 and s8, etc. I really do enjoy those older seasons. And, dammit, I really do love AI s7.

Quote:
Yeah, the finale was this week.
Good finale? If you've watched it already. No David performance is a downer but his mentoring appearance makes up for it, for me.

Quote:
This needs to be a title. I especially love The David. xD
Haha, we'll remember it for somewhere then. Glad you like that added touch of 'the'.

Quote:
Fingers crossed he'll be back!
To perform and/or as a mentor. *crosses them*

Quote:
I love this spam! Thanks for posting! Needless to say which ones are my favorites.
I know you love that Michael is in there. I really love that third picture!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Speaking of that, I've went back and watched a few old David performances again. Always Be My Baby, Billie Jean and a few others, one from Archie (since you've been posting some Cookeleta goodies), and old performance of Carrie's and one of Kelly's, some select stuff from season 5 and s8, etc. I really do enjoy those older seasons. And, dammit, I really do love AI s7.
Wow, you had a long walk down the memory lane. I love those performances by David so much. Which ones did you watch from the others? AI S7 is the best forever!

Quote:
Good finale? If you've watched it already. No David performance is a downer but his mentoring appearance makes up for it, for me.
I haven't watched it yet. I've been watching the show when they air it here and the finale will be aired this Saturday. Yeah, I'm glad he got to mentor, at least we got one appearance.

Quote:
Haha, we'll remember it for somewhere then. Glad you like that added touch of 'the'.
I wrote it down, it's too good not to be remembered.

Quote:
To perform and/or as a mentor. *crosses them*
Exactly!

Quote:
I know you love that Michael is in there. I really love that third picture!
Gotta love David and Michael together. I love the third pic too, the whisper.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Wow, you had a long walk down the memory lane. I love those performances by David so much. Which ones did you watch from the others? AI S7 is the best forever!
If I remember correctly...Kelly Clarkson: Stuff Like That There (my favorite) and 'Natural Woman'. For Carrie it as 'Alone' and 'Could've Been'. She did such a good job in that Heart song especially. For season 8, I went to watch some Adam performances. I loved his duet with Allison. I'll now have to rewatch the group performances from s7 to answer the newest DC question from the appreciation thread.

Quote:
I haven't watched it yet. I've been watching the show when they air it here and the finale will be aired this Saturday. Yeah, I'm glad he got to mentor, at least we got one appearance.
I hope you enjoyed. And what an appearance it was, right?

Quote:
I wrote it down, it's too good not to be remembered.
Thanks for doing that.

Quote:
Gotta love David and Michael together. I love the third pic too, the whisper.
"So happy for you."
Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
If I remember correctly...Kelly Clarkson: Stuff Like That There (my favorite) and 'Natural Woman'. For Carrie it as 'Alone' and 'Could've Been'. She did such a good job in that Heart song especially. For season 8, I went to watch some Adam performances. I loved his duet with Allison. I'll now have to rewatch the group performances from s7 to answer the newest DC question from the appreciation thread.
Great stuff! Carrie's Heart performance was a standout, she owns that song now. Love Adam's performances. Looking forward to your answer! Maybe you like the group performances better than me. xD

Quote:
I hope you enjoyed. And what an appearance it was, right?
The finale was alright. David's mentoring was outstanding.

Quote:
Thanks for doing that.
No problem!

Quote:
"So happy for you."
Aw, that would have been sweet. I remember everyone trying to figure out what Michael said to David, that's one possibility.

======

I came across a link that should have videos of the whole season 7. Should we try to do a rewatch?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Great stuff! Carrie's Heart performance was a standout, she owns that song now. Love Adam's performances. Looking forward to your answer! Maybe you like the group performances better than me. xD
Haha, I'm not too sure about that last part. (I'm watching a top 12 group performance right now. Oh no, they're all doing the synchronized dancing thing with the swinging of hips side to side.

Quote:
The finale was alright. David's mentoring was outstanding.
I do hope that's not the last of the mentoring we'll see. I assume AI has more seasons coming along for that to happen.

Quote:
Aw, that would have been sweet. I remember everyone trying to figure out what Michael said to David, that's one possibility.
I wonder what the other suggestions/possibilities were.

======

Quote:
I came across a link that should have videos of the whole season 7. Should we try to do a rewatch?
Oh great thing about the link! Let's do it.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Haha, I'm not too sure about that last part. (I'm watching a top 12 group performance right now. Oh no, they're all doing the synchronized dancing thing with the swinging of hips side to side.
Haha, I wouldn't blame you. Those choreographies were always so cheesy. xD Great selection of songs in that week though!

Quote:
I do hope that's not the last of the mentoring we'll see. I assume AI has more seasons coming along for that to happen.
I hope so too, it would be lovely to see David do it again. There will be at least one more season for sure.

Quote:
I wonder what the other suggestions/possibilities were.
I think the most popular was "You did it, man, I love you." How sweet would have that been?

Quote:
Oh great thing about the link! Let's do it.
Yay, awesome! Before we start, I just want to know how we will do this. Do we just watch one video at a time in a chronological order, all the group performances and Ford videos included when we get to that point?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

When David performed Chris Cornell's version of 'Billie Jean', it really made an impact because ever since it's been performed on various singing contests around the world (I know it's been done on our version of Idol at least once ).

Quote:
'American Idol' vs. 'X Factor' vs. 'Rising Star': Who Sang 'Billie Jean' Better?

Monday, August 18, 2014

Jeff Dodge
Staff Writer, BuddyTV

There are certain artists that are hard to cover because, well, how can you live up to the original? Take Michael Jackson, for instance. Many of his songs are considered classics. But what happens when you change up the arrangement completely and manage to make people forget that it's a Michael Jackson song? That's where today's Music Battle comes into play.

Everyone knows "Billie Jean." But Chris Cornell included a completely brand-new rendition on his 2007 album. And it looks like that is the version that has become standard on singing competition shows.

Enter American Idol: in season 7, David Cook was known for changing up the arrangements of all sorts of songs, including Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby" and Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean," among others. The latter is without a doubt considered The Moment of that season, and one of the best performances ever on Idol.

This song and the original artist are iconic, but when it comes to singing competition shows, David's has become iconic as well. This was yet another brilliant choice for the rocker, and just one of the many reasons to prove why he deservedly won season 7.

David Cook - Billie ( Billy ) Jean - American Idol Top 10 - YouTube

Then during the inaugural season of The X Factor USA, Drew Ryniewicz took on "Billie Jean" and also blew it out of the park. Here's another singer who wasn't afraid to change up arrangements at times; just look at her audition of Justin Bieber's "Baby" -- that change in the chorus when the notes go up instead of down is fantastic.

The theme that week was Michael Jackson, and so Drew performed the Chris Cornell version of "Billie
Jean" just as David Cook did three years earlier. And she also nailed it. The thing with Drew is, with the right material, she does great, as this example shows. She's got a unique voice that needs certain songs that will fit her right, and going with the original would not have worked for her, but because the new arrangement was slower, it allowed her voice to be showcased in just the right way.

Drew Ryniewicz - "Billie Jean" - X Factor USA (Top 7 Performance) HQ - Michael Jackson Night - YouTube

Unfortunately, this was the week that Drew was eliminated, along with Astro. She landed in the Bottom 3 and had to sing for survival against Marcus Canty. It's tough because there were certain singers you knew
would be sticking around, but the above performance made her worthy of staying, though that didn't happen.

Chris Cornell made an impact on yet another singing competition show -- just this week, in fact. It was the semifinals on Rising Star, where the remaining singers performed for a spot in the finale.

Jesse Kinch covered that version of "Billie Jean." He didn't start off as good as the others did, though. For some reason, his voice during the first part of the song sounded really strange to me; I don't know what it was. But when the music kicked into high gear, he was on track and sounded great the rest of the way, receiving 83% -- the highest of the night.

Rising Star - Jesse Kinch Sings 'Billie Jean' - YouTube

Our Rising Star recapper Esther Gim said of this performance, "All I'm thinking is 'been there done that' with David Cook on American Idol." Yes. For us watching at home, that was the big elephant in the room because for some strange reason the judges and host weren't aware of David Cook's performance or that the arrangement is by Chris Cornell. Back in season 7, Idol was still one of the biggest shows around, and everybody was aware of David Cook singing this song. Maybe the judges just didn't want to mention a show from a rival network, but they were so in awe of what Jesse did to the song, as if nobody has ever done it like this ever. But as we've proven so far in this article, the opposite is true.

Before I narrow the field down, I just want to say that I don't think there's a bad performance in this group at all. But I am going to narrow it down to David Cook and Drew. David obviously advances, but when deciding between Drew and Jesse, I picked Drew because her voice was more captivating during the performance than Jesse's voice.

Between David and Drew, as much as I like the latter, there's no question that David Cook wins this Music Battle. He set the precedent for performing the Chris Cornell version on these shows. And put simply, his rendition is iconic at this point -- it was back in season 7 and still is today. I don't think anyone covering "Billie Jean" will ever be able to top what David did because we'll be thinking of him the entire time.

Which cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" is your favorite? Do you agree that David's is iconic? And how come the Rising Star judges seemed completely unaware of the arrangement until Jesse performed it? Vote for your favorite rendition in the poll below and let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Source
The author of this article and the poll agree with me that David rules here. I love his version is called iconic here, because it really is. This performance put him in the lead of the competition and it's still talked about 6 years later. I just watched it again and that glory note still gives me chills. Also watched the other two, which were good (I agree with the author that the girl was better) but they don't even come close to David's, he can't be topped.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:17 AM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

That's pretty cool about the comparison! And I definitely agree David's was iconic, it's still one of my favourite performances of his and on the show in general

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 10-05-2014, 02:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I thought so too, I love that people keep doing this version of Billie Jean after David did it first. And totally agree about David's performance, it's really part of Idol history and always gets mentioned on the 'most memorable performances' lists and the like. It's definitely one of his best too, probably sealed the win for him.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

http://youtu.be/D2Rk6mYJJAI

I've known about this and seen a few photos but somehow I've completely missed this video! Anyway, how goofy do they all look? Especially David's hair. xD