Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2015, 02:08 AM
Master Fan

Soap Storylines You Hate #1: The Good, The Bad, The Very Ugly

Soap Storylines You Hate Thread #1

We all have a storyline or several from the past, present, future that we despise. And wonder what the writers were smoking to create, let alone allow to come to fruition.

Whether a favorite character is written as OOC, rewriting longtime history, ridiculous plots, love triangles, etc.

Feel free to voice your opinions here.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:15 AM
Master Fan

Great idea for a thread.

My current most hated SL is from the australian soap opera Home and Away. Kyle & Phoebe were a perfectly happy couple until a marriage proposal gone wrong (because
she didn't want to get married or have children) that lead to their break-up. Then they were reunited just to engineer a pregnancy that for a short time was clouded
in confusion as to who was the father because when they reunited Phoebe developed feelings for another man called Ash (which caused their eventual final break-up)
and then she slept with Ash literally minutes or hours after the break-up. Of course a paternity test confirmed Kyle as the father-to-be yet in the entire SL he's
basically been treated as though his feelings mean nothing even though he is the only one of all three characters involved whose always wanted to have a family and
be a father. The SL is maddening to me because it is made obvious by the way everything is written that the egomaniac characters Phoebe and Ash are the writers new
pet project characters/couple for some unholy godforsaken reason which I will never understand or support as they are two of the worst characters I've ever had to
suffer watching in a SL but suffer I must because Kyle is my long-time favourite on the show and I can't give up on a story he is part of even if I hate the characters
he is forced to interact with.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

The rapemance on OLTL with TSJ's Todd and Marty (but soaps seem to think pairing women with their rapists is so hot. Sick bastards)

From what I can remember on AMC

Janet wanting to get plastic surgery to look like Brooke
Dimitri and Maria sleeping together, and everyone thinking her baby was Dimitri's when it was Edmund's
The Taylor recast going completely BSC over Noah by lying about a pregnancy, miscarriage, then about Noah killing Louie Greco (God I hated her, liked the original Taylor before they made her nuts though)
Trevor and Janet falling in love (Too much bad blood and history)
Maria having amnesia
Alec sleeping with Hayley's mother Arlene
Having Laura go crazy over Leo
Jack's sister Kit accusing Ryan of rape
Ryan and Liza's short fling after Gillian died (WTF?)

That's all that come to mind right now.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Marlena possessed by the Devil on Days!

I can't think of anything worse than that SL.

I really hated that it was about John/Marlena b/c I loved them and couldn't stand to see it.

I saw parts in edits later and had to skip through it.

It was good that I could at least do that but my mom quit watching at the time.

I just think it was really offensive.

I really want to know if there is anything worse than that SL that I don't know about or remember.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Last edited by Jaime Bee; 09-20-2015 at 07:34 PM
Old 09-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Master Fan

AMC

Bianca's rape and then when they ripped her child from her and the baby switch that came along with it. That went on way too long and I was glad when they finally gave Miranda back to her mother.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Bee (View Post)

That SL was ridiculously stupid.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Master Fan

Easy. When Michael forgave Sonny just because he got shot and forgot about whole AJ's death as if that didn't last that long. Worst forgiving ever when it was just for stupid reason. Sonny would come back anyways and so what? At least he came back but AJ is dead and is gone for good so what's your point, Michael? Talk about worst storyline ever existed that didn't last long and I knew it was too good to be true.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:44 AM
Master Fan

Jason's return with memory loss & being brainwashed being dragged out for months beyond what is necessary.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
The rapemance on OLTL with TSJ's Todd and Marty (but soaps seem to think pairing women with their rapists is so hot. Sick bastards)

From what I can remember on AMC

Janet wanting to get plastic surgery to look like Brooke
Dimitri and Maria sleeping together, and everyone thinking her baby was Dimitri's when it was Edmund's
The Taylor recast going completely BSC over Noah by lying about a pregnancy, miscarriage, then about Noah killing Louie Greco (God I hated her, liked the original Taylor before they made her nuts though)
Trevor and Janet falling in love (Too much bad blood and history)
Maria having amnesia
Alec sleeping with Hayley's mother Arlene
Having Laura go crazy over Leo
Jack's sister Kit accusing Ryan of rape
Ryan and Liza's short fling after Gillian died (WTF?)

That's all that come to mind right now.
Ooh another AMC fan. I actually like the Alec and Arlene story -- that to me was the last time Hayley had a good story. I never liked Mateo. She was a better character before him.

I agree with a lot of these others though. Maria and her years of weeping over babies was tiresome. Made me root for Kelsey. That story would've been better with Brooke/Edmund/Erica/Dimitri given Brooke and Erica's history. Maria was no match for Erica.

Trevor and Janet never made sense either, plus I resented the show getting rid of Kate Collins just to keep Trevor. To me, Natalie was a bigger asset to the show, where as he was more expendable.

Kit was a stupid character, and she had no chemistry with Edmund either.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

^^^Yeah, I grew up watching AMC. I liked Mateo/Hayley and I couldn't root for Kelsey, especially when she used Sam to get back at Edmund/Maria. I wasn't watching when Natalie was around (I think when I started watching is when Janet got her plastic surgery, which was one of the best storylines) but I didn't know she had to leave to keep the Trevor actor but I loved Trevor so I probably wouldn't of minded lol.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 PM
Master Fan

Andre brainwashing Chad to seduce Belle.

Ivy cheating on Wyatt with Thomas.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Master Fan

Will's death on Days. I wasn't the happiest with what his character had become. But Will had been one of my favorites and it just felt wrong and sad about it all.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Bee (View Post)

I really hated that it was about John/Marlena b/c I loved them and couldn't stand to see it.

I saw parts in edits later and had to skip through it.

It was good that I could at least do that but my mom quit watching at the time.

I just think it was really offensive.

I really want to know if there is anything worse than that SL that I don't know about or remember.
Oh, I was thinking about this too. It was ridiculous, but I also kinda loved it. I was obsessed back then. The devil's voice cracked me up.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Elite Fan

Dante cheating on Lulu with her cousin. It made no sense from day one and now 7 months later it makes even less. Dante not only had to become out of character but now Lulu has to do the same all for a newbie who does nothing but cry about her mother. I could handle that if the character wasn't obsessed with Dante or even if the character of Valerie wasn't re-conned, rewritten. So this storyline went from bad to just ugly. I don't recognize Dante or Lulu anymore and it's all to prop the new character. It sucks because I think Lulu and Dante have such an interesting dynamic where Dante had never been in love before but Lulu was his love at first sight. I had hoped the writers would have axed the whole storyline but here we are going on 7 months and the writing, character assassination and storyline is even worse now.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSam4Life (View Post)
Dante cheating on Lulu with her cousin. It made no sense from day one and now 7 months later it makes even less. Dante not only had to become out of character but now Lulu has to do the same all for a newbie who does nothing but cry about her mother. I could handle that if the character wasn't obsessed with Dante or even if the character of Valerie wasn't re-conned, rewritten. So this storyline went from bad to just ugly. I don't recognize Dante or Lulu anymore and it's all to prop the new character. It sucks because I think Lulu and Dante have such an interesting dynamic where Dante had never been in love before but Lulu was his love at first sight. I had hoped the writers would have axed the whole storyline but here we are going on 7 months and the writing, character assassination and storyline is even worse now.
PREACH This is so true. So much character assasination all for the useless Valerie.