Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2020, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

yea, definitely sarcastic. yea, I've noticed that too. he always seemed happy for BR when they were together both times.

for sure, it would be bound to happen.

I love this.

Ron ღ Hermione // Barney ღ Robin
lasertagandcigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

BR certainly are kinky lol
stlavin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
BR certainly are kinky lol
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasertagandcigars (View Post)
yea, definitely sarcastic. yea, I've noticed that too. he always seemed happy for BR when they were together both times.

for sure, it would be bound to happen.

I love this.
I love that too. What episode is that from? I know, which is why it was always weird when he encouraged Ted to go for it with Robin. It's also weird considering, they were never really that happy when they were together. So if I were Ted's friend, I wouldn't have encouraged him to go and get hurt again and again.
KatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

5x09, The Slapsgiving 2
Old 03-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
5x09, The Slapsgiving 2
Thanks pal!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No problem
Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
5x09, The Slapsgiving 2
Man, I forgot that one. That was right after they broke up, right?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes it is
Old 03-27-2020, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I lost track of all the Slapsgivings.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Of course you did
Old 03-27-2020, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm surprised Barney didn't suffer memory loss.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm not, lol
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatB (View Post)
I agree.

I love that too. What episode is that from? I know, which is why it was always weird when he encouraged Ted to go for it with Robin. It's also weird considering, they were never really that happy when they were together. So if I were Ted's friend, I wouldn't have encouraged him to go and get hurt again and again.
I saw Sam already answered the episode question but I definitely agree with what you're saying, it was always weird to me that Marshall would push Ted on Robin especially when she had just said she wasn't in love with him, why would he want Ted to get hurt again. i definitely agree that they weren't too happy together, Robin lied and hid things from Ted but told Barney, Ted told everyone her secret even when she asked him not to. they fought quite a few times and honestly, they just bored me to tears.

the "she's your girl" thing bothers me too because it's like she's an object and he just wants Ted to win the shiny prize. she's no-one's girl, she's her own person who clearly knows what or who she wants/doesn't want.

I found this on Tumblr and it's a good read.
Quote:
So I saw I post saying that Barney doesn’t deserve Robin and at first I got exorbitantly angry and then I decided to educate the world on a little thing called Barney loves Robin more than anyone or anything so be prepared for a long rant because I feel extremely strongly about this.

Now, first off, I am not trying to excuse any of the womanising things Barney has done in his past, or say that the way he objectifies girls for his ‘plays’ are ok. They are not ok. His attitude back in earlier seasons and even now isn’t always right and I am in no way defending that. HOWEVER.

He loves Robin. You’re blind as a bat if you cannot see that. (hey look Marshall I rhymed!) Not only does he 'love her’, but he becomes extremely selfless to her.

Just loving her isn’t enough. He loved her in season four, but that didn’t mean he was particularly good to her. They weren’t even together, and as Lily pointed out, he was still happy to engage in hook ups and didn’t make a particularly active attempt to be with her but actually.

(Actually)

That kind of shows how he understands her better than other people do. He never pressured her to be with him. All that time, he knew what a commitment-phobe she was, and he related to it. He was scared that he wouldn’t be good enough for her. Unlike Ted, who loves Robin and is definitely willing to be amazing to her, but also pushes her. He was aware of how badly she didn’t want to be in a long term relationship and he still put pressure on her for that. Ted was always worrying that he wasn’t ending up with the right girl, or that maybe he should give it another go with Robin, or that she’d be perfect if she was more open to commitment etc.

Barney is like a scared kid. He didn’t have a strong relationship to look up to as a child. All he saw was his mother and his mother’s friends having a string of affairs, so that is what he learned to do. He wasn’t always this sex crazed guy we know. He was willing to wait until marriage with Shannon. It’s heavily implied that he had no friends and was bullied as a kid. We know that hippie Barney respected Shannon a lot and wanted to do what she wanted. He wanted love. And the first girl he was with, whether he was truly in love with her or not, left him just like his dad did. He has all these extreme abandonment issues, and behind the facade, Barney seems pretty insecure.

He’s terrified that a woman as legendary as Robin Scherbatsky isn’t going to want him. And if she does, will he be good enough? And what if she too walks out on him?

Barney isn’t perfect to Robin by any means. He does thoughtless things, like not seeing how broken she was in season 5 after their split. But at the same time, Robin has hurt Barney. She’s been oblivous to his feelings too. They are probably the most damaged characters on the show. They both seem to have a lot of issues and insecurities for a sitcom. They’re complex people, and they BOTH make mistakes.

But they love each other. And Barney’s aware of the fact that she loves him, and he feels lucky. He wants to do things to make her feel special, like her Canadian Rehersal dinner, where he brushed aside all jokes and gave her the perfect evening that even she didn’t realise how much she wanted. And she understands that 'surprising’ and trickery with her Bro Mitzvah. They bounce off each other like that. Weird, outlandish and manipulative surprises are the way they roll.

However, he also makes sacrafices for her. See him giving her the superdate with Don. As soon as she asks him, and he sees her crying, all his arrogance and challenges go out of the window. He’ll give it all up so long as she gets to have a happy evening. He wants her to be happy. Like when he sees her all quiet, turning up at his house and asking if she made him feel needed. He’s appalled that Robin… strong, legendary, awesome Robin could be feeling like this.

He’s quick to make it known to her that she is independent and he loves it. And rather than chastising her for that or making her feel like she should be changing it, he makes her know that it’s just fine, and of course she can be loved and be exactly the way she is. Like Barney, Robin’s life seemed to be pretty darn short of love before she came into the gang. Her mom walked out, her Dad didn’t want her. She’s just as scared as he is.

And can we talk about how he accepts when she doesn’t want him. After she turns him down in season seven, he realises that 'this is it’. The love of my life doesn’t love me back. You can see it physically murder him when she shakes her head in 'tick tick tick’. You know what he could have done? Left all the rose petals out for her to see, to let her know that 'I did this for you. I’ve done a lovely romantic gesture and see what we could have had?’ But he didn’t. He knew it would hurt her, so he went and took it all away. Even though being in her room, and saying goodbye to every hope that he and Robin can be together again must have been horrific for him, he did it.

He knows that after that, the game is up. And when Ted comes to ask if he minds that he wants to win Robin back, Barney says it’s fine. That’s the difference between Ted and Barney, because Ted still wants Robin to be with him, even though it’s clear she’s not in love with him. On the night of her wedding, he hasn’t let her go, and he’s clamouring for one more chance with the locket.

Barney doesn’t put that sort of pressure on Robin. Such as, Mr Mosby, telling her he’s moving away because of her right before she’s getting married, or telling her he still loves her immediately after she lost her fiance.

Swarkles fit together because they understand that being put in those situations don’t work. That’s why he did 'the robin’. He knew she’d be scared. He had to make her realise that she loved him rather than just dumping it on her.

He makes it gradual. He knows Robin. She’s not a believer, she’s a cynic. She’ll need time and proof, and he wants to give that to her. Even then, it’s a 'hope’ she says yes. He’s aware that ultimately, it’s her choice. She could say no, and that would be that.

Yet he wants it to be special for her. He knows that she’s insecure about not being girly enough. In 'slapsgiving’, he knows that teasing her about a big white wedding will get to her, because it is something she wanted, but has closed off for herself. So now he actually has the chance to give it to her. He wants there to be fairy lights and rose petals and her favourite spot in the city. He wants her to be dressed up and feeling awesome. And when she says yes, he wants to not rush off and bang immediately, like old Barney might. He stands and watches the city with her, and kisses her nose just because he can now. They’re actually together now.

When they’re together, he wants her to know he loves her. So that means doing couple-y things that the two of them never used to do. He tells her she’s awesome, and he tells her he loves her. He does little things like strokes her shoulders and kisses her neck and holds her waist when they walk together. And he makes mistakes, like not wanting to sell his fortress, but at the end of it, he’ll try to do what’s right for her.

They argue. They bicker. He wants her to know she’s the most important thing to him. He wants her to have the wedding he teased her about years ago. He doesn’t give a damn if he gives up having the kids he used to want if it means he gets a lifetime with Robin. She’s not a future possibility of a family. She’s his whole world. He’s still learning and making all kinds of mistakes, but he’s also trying to rectify them. He wants her to know that he doesn’t have to wait for it anymore. She’s all that he needs to believe in true love. He’s hopelessly, irretrievably in love with her. He’s always going to have her back, and he wants them to be a team even when they’re so used to lone wolfing it.

When he lets a day go by without talking to her, then that day is just no good. And he means it. Days where he doesn’t get to hear her voice aren’t days worth thinking about in his book. He’s constantly amazed by the fact that he has a soulmate. A person who plays laser tag, drinks scotch, can handle a cigar and loves to joke. He loves that she’s still learning all this 'relationship’ stuff too, and that she’s scared of this as well. But she loves him.

One more thing. Is it really, truly fair for anybody but Robin to say who deserves Robin. In this Ted/Barney debate that’s going on, people seem to have neglected a very fundamental part of the triangle: Robin. She is nobody’s girl. She’s a person in her own right. She’s not afraid to speak her mind, she’s confidant in her sexuality, and she doesn’t play by other people’s rules. Also, deep down, she’s kind of afraid that she’s just a mess. We can see in 'tick tick tick’ that she doesn’t even get why people like her. And Barney is already setting out to prove that there isn’t any reason not to adore her.

He’s messed up in the very same way. He told Ted that he’s felt 'broken’. But with her, he doesn’t feel that way anymore. Just by seeing Robin’s face and smile when she tells him she loves him proves that he’s done the same for her. Robin Scherbatsky spent her adult life petrified of love and comitment, and now she’s wanting it. She’s so, so in love, and she wants let Barney know, whether or not they’re in public. She wants to kiss him and stroke his hair in front of everyone. She’s proud of their relationship. Unlike their old selves, they aren’t hiding this anymore. Both of them want this.

She is in love with Barney. Errors, flaws, mistakes and past aside. He is the one who makes her feel happy. He is the one who she is marrying. So surely that alone is enough 'proof’ that Barney deserves Robin. Headstrong Robin is well aware of everything about Barney, and she still loves and wants to be with him for the rest of her life. She has made that decision. And as fans of her character and the show, shouldn’t we all be respecting it rather than clamouring to volunteer a superior partner.

She’s a little bit of a mess and so is he. They get each other.

And in 'Barney’s blog’ for the night of his 'truth drunkness’, you can see a jokey entry full of random keyboard smashing with messages in between. I copied and pasted this line:

'you feel completely hollow inside and you really just want a friend to hold you’.

That blog entry was meant in humour, but let’s look into this. Barney who spends so much time knocking on snuggling just wants somebody to hold him and make all the messed up stuff go away. And now he’s confirmed that Robin does that for him.

So please can we all just imagine Robin and Barney happily waking up to each other and cuddling. With Barney smelling Robin’s hair, and Robin turning round and teasing him for doing so. And him brushing it off, trying to blame it on some far fetched excuse, but her cutting it short with a kiss. He’d probably kiss her cheek after, and she’d hug her arms around him and smile sleepily. He’d kiss the top of her head and say 'I love you’. She wouldn’t freak out. Because she feels just as much of an idiot. She’d respond with 'I love you too’. And they would stay in each others arms, feeling warm and content, because neither of them are broken or alone anymore. All of that is gone. Robin would turn back around and kiss him again. If he asked why, she’d respond with a 'j'st b'cause’. And then he’d raise an eyebrow. And she’d say 'shut up. I love you’.

Because they do. Love each other.

So if anybody ever says that Barney doesn’t 'deserve’ Robin, then I will come to poke your eyes with a magic yellow umbrella, because you’ve clearly been blind to eight years of character development.

This has been a PSA.

Ron ღ Hermione // Barney ღ Robin
lasertagandcigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It seriously is
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasertagandcigars (View Post)
I saw Sam already answered the episode question but I definitely agree with what you're saying, it was always weird to me that Marshall would push Ted on Robin especially when she had just said she wasn't in love with him, why would he want Ted to get hurt again. i definitely agree that they weren't too happy together, Robin lied and hid things from Ted but told Barney, Ted told everyone her secret even when she asked him not to. they fought quite a few times and honestly, they just bored me to tears.

the "she's your girl" thing bothers me too because it's like she's an object and he just wants Ted to win the shiny prize. she's no-one's girl, she's her own person who clearly knows what or who she wants/doesn't want.

I found this on Tumblr and it's a good read.
Thanks for the share, I had not seen that before and yes to all. I also agree, no one seems to consider what, who Robin want. Yes, TR were so boring. I have the first, idk, three seasons on dvd and I rarely watch them, other than the BR episodes. Like, Zip, Zip, Zip. I think that is the episode. But I don't feel the need to rewatch the TR episodes.
Reply   Post New Thread