Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

AU, huh?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 PM
Moderator Support Team

considering it didn't fit with the way the show progressed, yea.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So true
Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 PM
Moderator Support Team

so season nine is playing on tv and I've been watching and thinking about these things lately. some stuff from Tumblr that I agree with.

Quote:
The worst part for me I think is that Robin doesn’t seem to see how much Barney adores her. How much effort he puts into surprising her, trying to do things to make her happy the best that he can. He’s in no way perfect, but he tries so hard for her. He messes up, but he also tries to make it right again, and he tells her how much he loves her so often, because he knows she needs to hear it. You know what, I can’t even begin to talk about how much love Barney has for Robin. That I genuinely think he’d put his life at risk for her. Putting himself out there was so hard at first, and he’s always been scared she won’t take him seriously, she won’t think he’s good enough, and in season 5 when he was scared she’d dump him. He’s always been afraid and commitment phobic too, but he seems to have all his anxieties smoothed out just by looking at her.

And Robin doesn’t seem to recognise it. I’m really trying to be okay with it, and I’m understanding that she was midway through a freak out, but her saying she didn’t think Barney did enough for her is such incredible bull****. Frankly the expectation that to be worthy of being with her meant he needed to do the most extravagant things felt not only out of character but very unfair. I just felt like she needed to undo that by saying something genuinely sweet to Barney- or really apologising, or realising how wrong she was.

I even would have preferred Barney to confront her for this. If he’s going to stick with this honesty thing, he’d better tell her that its not fair that she doubted him like that and that he wants her to apologise or at least acknowledge that he loves her unbelievably much, and he thinks he deserves a bit more credit than he’s being given. And that it doesn’t seem fair that at the start of the season, it wasn’t okay for him to need his brother’s marriage to believe in true love, but for him to be a worthy husband, he needs to have given her the locket. I’m not actually blaming Robin, because she is literally my favourite tv character on anything of all time, I’m more blaming whoever wrote that scene in and didn’t write her realising that she wasn’t being fair to him. And that she expects him to be perfect when she isn’t. I’m angry at her for what she said to Ted. I’m angry that knowing his abandonment issues, she was seriously talking about running away with a man she knows is in love with her. It wasn’t fair to Barney… And I can’t believe I’m saying this because I’m not his biggest fan… But it was very unfair to Ted. What if he’d have said yes? Because I’m sure she would have realised her mistake fairly soon, thus hurting both of them.

Ted had a very bloody good point saying that she mustn’t know him very well if she’d suggest that- because she knows how much he’s hurting over moving away. And if Barney knew she said that, I guarantee he’d cry his eyes out. Should he have suggested to Quinn that they ran away together on the wedding day, even in a fit of nerves, I’m not sure she’d have forgiven him. But the fact that he obviously knew she was running when he saw her taking her deep breaths and he wasn’t even bothered- KNOWING how he gets about people leaving him- and his first reaction is still to make sure she feels secure and ready for their wedding…

That speaks louder than stealing lockets and blue french horns. He’s ignoring his own insecurities in favour if making her know how loved she is, promising what he knows she needs to hear most. Robin isn’t entirely honest with Barney about a lot. I’m not sure if she’ll even be honest about what she said to Ted earlier. Which bothers me. I wanted her to realise she made a mistake. I wanted her to say something really meaningful. It always seems like Barney is persuading her into things as she stands looking shocked- like woah, he loves me a lot. Every time, she still looks shocked. Well, I damn wanted her to make him look totally blown away with happiness with her words. Whether they were stumbled over, nervous, badly worded- hearing them from her would make Barney’s face light up like a kid at Christmas. It bothers me that she’s expecting such a lot, but is actually being quite selfish. It bothers me that this is completely out of character to the way she’s been acting all season. Not he freak out- but the reasons she’s freaking out. That she can still be doubting not the ability to commit, or for a marriage to last, or for herself to trust- but actually if he loves her enough. If he’s done enough for her.

She didn’t feel like the Robin Scherbatsky I’ve been watching this season when she was saying those things. It’s been irking me more than I really know how to say.
Quote:
Okay so one thing that bothers me more than anything is the we’ve never heard Robin actually say anything overly romantic to Barney. I know it’s not her style, and that confessing her feelings scares her, and overall she just isn’t a lovey lovey person… But it was the one thing I wanted. Just for her, on her wedding day, to overcome it. Just to get one of those perfect quotes from Robin. And the message of the episode was that vows are never perfect… however the amount of times I’ve had to hear Ted’s love speeches…

I just wanted one from her. One speech from Robin about loving Barney.

They had the perfect opportunity, and instead they gave us another speech about love from Ted. They gave us the majority of the episode being Robin freaking out to the extent where she was considering leaving Barney for Ted. We got to hear her say the words maybe I should be marrying you. But not a speech to Barney.

It bothers me the most because she isn’t vocal about emotions at all- but Barney also, deep down, I’ve always thought that he really needed to hear one of those speeches from her. Because of his abandonment issues, I not only think that the fact she tried to run away from him must have hurt, but also the fact that Robin is the only person who loves Barney whilst knowing everything about him.

Think about it. Quinn and Nora- we can debate over whether or not they loved him, but if they did, they didn’t know the full him. Quinn mainly knew the sleazy side of him, but she didn’t know about some of his issues and insecurities. Nora only saw the perfect boyfriend he tried to present. Shannon never loved him, and I think that always stuck with him. I have no doubt that Loretta loves him unconditionally, but the fact remains that she doesn’t see all his womanising, and sees him as her wuv wuv. His dad… Well. His dad left him. Even though he’s come back into his life- I doubt Barney will ever feel like he loves him.

He has his friends who love him, but even they don’t see every side- how he is to live with, how he is intimately and sexually. Robin has seen every side of him. And to him, I think the fact that somebody can love him and not want to leave him knowing everything about him is a really. Big. Deal.

So I just wish the writers would have taken that into account and let us see his perfect little face light up as she makes her vows. And I wish they would have shown her finally being able to talk about her feelings- finally being able to say just how much she loves him. It is such a big character development step for them.

It was such a huge opportunity, I feel, for them as a couple. We all wanted to see those vows so badly. Much as I love Marshall and Lily, and I thought their part was adorable, I didn’t need to see them take MORE vows. And I did not need to see Ted get over Robin again, make another speech about love, contemplate his feelings for her AGAIN, come through for his friends AGAIN, do an irritating voice over of a scene I really, really want to see AGAIN.

I’ve always felt like the writers neglected Robin the most as a character. This development was just so important to me. Actually getting to hear her and see her saying her wedding vows mattered to me. And I just feel like so close to the finale, going so far as to have her consider running away, abandoning him for her ex, his best friend, have her doubting him, have her doubting herself, and then not letting us see her reevaluate that in her vows? There isn’t a doubt in my mind she loves him, and I don’t think she needs to ‘make it up’ to him. But what I do think is that we deserved to see their vows. After the years of rooting for Robin and Barney- I really, desperately wanted to see this step. And in the spirit of Barney’s one, rushed vow of honesty- I’m bitterly disappointed.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I definitely agree with that
Old 02-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

OMG, that's a loooooooong post.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Doesn't take long to read though
Old 02-28-2020, 11:21 PM
Moderator Support Team

I'll reply more tomorrow because I'm tired but I just want to say that it's hard for me to believe that a woman who said "aw, tomorrow I can say my husband peed himself a little" and clearly gets turned on by Barney being naughty and peeing in public is anything but insanely in love with that man and would not have doubts about him and him loving her.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It certainly is
Old 02-29-2020, 06:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarkles (View Post)
I'll reply more tomorrow because I'm tired but I just want to say that it's hard for me to believe that a woman who said "aw, tomorrow I can say my husband peed himself a little" and clearly gets turned on by Barney being naughty and peeing in public is anything but insanely in love with that man and would not have doubts about him and him loving her.
That was confusing. A lot of stuff about peeing.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep
Old 03-01-2020, 11:29 PM
Moderator Support Team

I never really understood what exactly she was doubting besides It DoEsN't MaKe SeNsE which is clearly stupid.

the doubts were so inconsistent too, one episode she has doubts and the next she's blissfully in love.

I do think Barney knew she was running because of how he looked after he said the vow and I do think her running into his arms was her way of a making a romantic gesture per say. he made her feel better and know that he was what she wanted.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it didn't make sense, lol
Old 03-03-2020, 05:07 PM
Moderator Support Team

I was talking about Robin saying it didn't make sense. I never understood that, they are definitely the most compatible. they grew together and realized that they wanted the same things.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasertagandcigars (View Post)
I was talking about Robin saying it didn't make sense. I never understood that, they are definitely the most compatible. they grew together and realized that they wanted the same things.
Maybe Bays and Thomas ended up confusing themselves as they were writing?