Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the whole point was for Robin to appear completely oblivious. I think that's why they didn't have them interract a lot, other than that look/smile she gave him at the very end.

I really liked this episode. Not as funny as other episodes on the laugh-o-meter but still overall one great episode IMO. It played on emotions a bit more than on laughter, and I was actually cool with it.

Things I loved:

- The "Barney loves Robin, and Robin is oblivious" moment. That was so very sweet.

- Meeting little Robin, and her story about the dog turning into a turtle thanks to some magical surgery. That cracked me up. Her, "Longer than I am proud of, Lily. Longer than I'm proud of." was really funny.

- Ted/Barney/Marshall hug. Yes, a bit corny, but oh-so-good after having missed this kind of interraction in the last few episodes.

- Lily's cheerful tone of voice when speaking to the kids. Next time I have to break bad news to my nephews, I'm trying this one.

- Stella. As much as I don't really want her to be the mother, I really do like her character. A no-nonsense type of girl. She was good in this episode.

What didn't make me jump for joy:

- Ted proposing to Stella. I think after the Barney/Ted reunion and the shock of the Barney/Robin moment, the proposal felt like an afterthought to me. I was still smiling over the gang being a unit again, and over Barney's adorable look to Robin by the time Ted proposed and I found myself not reacting to that as much as I did the other major events.
DanceWithLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Elite Fan

I'm so happy about B/T and B/R right now, that even if the episode wasn't the funniest ever, I don't care. Yes the reunion was corny, but oh well, it was about time these 2 patch things up.

Awwwww B/R! Robin's lack of reaction bothered me as well, but we've got a whole new season to change that.

Marshall's miracle stories... Oh dear
~DresdenDoll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Master Fan

An extra point to the episode for playing Radiohead!

I liked this episode. Not as good as Slapsgiving and The Slap Bet, or even Sandcastles in the Sand, but I liked it. I liked Marshall's stories. The makeup was corny but it made me happy. And the bit of BroTP - aww, Barney!

I don't know about the rest of you but I was genuinely shocked by the marriage proposal. I wonder if Stella's the real Mother though, I kind of feel that the writers weren't sure if the series would continue so they decided to "reveal" Stella as the Mother and that if the show had been confirmed earlier on they might not have done so. But hey, she might not be the Mother still - a lot of things could happen. But who cares! The writers have another glorious season to play with
Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnightboy (View Post)
I squeed when I realized they were playing "Nice Dream" during the over-the-top running sequence. Such a beautiful song. The episode got bumped up to from good to almost great for that song selection.

The Robin/Barney moment that Robin was a clueless dumbass for had me clutching my chest. If only we had a moment inside Barney's head when he got hit by the bus, a la House's Head, my other show of the night (Oh. My. God. Who else was thinking Mean Girls fake out? Just me. Oh, okay). I am a Robin/Barney shipper and like my other show, Gossip Girl with the sexaholic Chuck Bass falling for Blair, it is awesome that Barney is falling for Robin. If I had a heart, it'd be thawed.

I was genuinely surprised by the proposal. But it didn't top the Barney/Ted make-up scene or Barney's longing look toward Robin, which is I am sure, not the effect they were going for. I love Sarah Chalke, but she is Elliot, not Stella, in my mind always.

Barney's sheer heartbreak over them cutting his suit was awesome. And I just love how they depict how much Barney cares for Ted. Those scenes of him running to the hospital are made of love.

Such an improvement over last weeks awfulness. Glad Britney is no longer around brining down my Barney.

Robin's dog story was pathetically hilarious and a highlight.
venusinfurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Ditto that!!

Quote:
Barney's sheer heartbreak over them cutting his suit was awesome.
I loved that too. Why do I sense there are bloopers from that scene for sure
DanceWithLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs (View Post)
I squeed when I realized they were playing "Nice Dream" during the over-the-top running sequence. Such a beautiful song. The episode got bumped up to from good to almost great for that song selection.
Indeed! Not the greatest Radiohead song, but I like it, it's a great song. And I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it - almost the entire song as well. Good on the writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs (View Post)
I love Sarah Chalke, but she is Elliot, not Stella, in my mind always.
Exactly. Especially when she looked at his chart, I wonder if the writers were nodding at Sarah's role as Elliot in Scrubs?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Elite Fan

I loved it. I don't have much coherent to say right now (plus work is hella busy but I had to come on and say something!!) but I loved it.

Also, watching it at 4.30 this morning meant I went back to sleep and dreamt a conclusion to the cliffhanger. Hee!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Elite Fan

Didn't they write another ending to this episode in case the series wouldn't get renewed?

Anyway, was anyone else slightly shocked by Barney's accident? By the fact we actually got to see it? Even if it was very Mean Girls like, it felt odd to see this on a sitcom.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Elite Fan

No, I don't think they did. I'm pretty certain I've read quotes from both Craig and Carter (and Josh) saying they were confident they'd be renewed so they wrote the cliffhanger they wanted to.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

I've checked - apparently it was a S4 opening thingy and not an alternative ending. Although the proposal did seem a bit like that, like they might have wanted to wrap things up just in case.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I wondered if that's what you were thinking of. I think that's more to do with Sarah's availability than anything else, right? Because that would be a hard cliffhanger to resolve with no Sarah so they've shot it early, and shot two versions.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Absolute Fan

The last episodes post Brotp, and perhaps with the some exception the episode after that, I believe created some unsavory problems that forced the writers in ditches they couldn't get out off without it coming off extremely awkward. The show used to have a realism amid the outrageous comedy. I don't feel that as much anymore with the constant contrivances that continue Ted on the road to finding his mate. That said, last night was better than more than half of this season. And they did the best in trying to remedy everything thing they did wrong.

The proposal was too soon and unnecessary except in being a valid cliff-hanger, which I think the writers knew they had to write even if no one from CBS pushed for one.

The obvious wink to Barney's feelings for Robin was desperately needed considering not one other scene since the "night" addressed their issues aside from how it affected Ted. Though I can image many feeling it to be a bit awkward just for that reason. I wasn't expecting any sweeping heart gestures between Robin and Barney at this point simply knowing that it would of been too much too soon if it had. And to tap into the cores of this show once again, a resolve for Ted and Barney was needed first. We now have a whole season awaiting us where the dynamics between Barney and Robin can be fully explored and fleshed out.
Russian Doll ∫ Atypical ∫ Flash ∫ Legends of Tomorrow ∫ Schitt's Creek ∫ Sex Education ∫ Degrassi ∫ Good Trouble ∫ Jane the Virgin ∫ The Good Place ∫ You ∫ The Affair ∫ 13 Reasons Why ∫ Stranger Things ∫ Handmaid's Tale ∫ Trinkets
@ Tumblr | @ Web *Icon by Static Waves
lasha4god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Elite Fan

Ted and Barney are friends again! Even if a little bit corny, loved it!

Marshall and his miracle stories were really funny

Barney's accident
I didn't see that one coming.

Now we'll have a full season to know more about Barney's feelings for Robin. I wonder if the accident will change him... well, for a bit weeks, at least?

I still don't think Stella is the mother.

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Elite Fan

what a great season finale

I love that Ted and Barney made up, they're awesome as friends; and of course it had to be in pure HIMYM way...with barney ending up at the hospital

I don't think that Stella is the mother, it would be too easy and she has a daughter that we don't see in the future.

It took me a while to really warm up to Barney and Robin but awwwwwwww he loves her; how sweet is that?

I would hate to miss another boat
milestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Master Fan

Overall I liked the episode due to:

- Marshall and Robin having scenes together with the whole "miracle" thing , I'm probably alone in this but I've felt for a while that they are the two that have the least to do with one another for whatever reason. I just like to see all the cast getting to interact with one another and I've read that Cobie finds Jason hilarious so it was nice to see the two of them have some banter.

- Barney and Ted making up - the show hasn't been the same in the episodes where they weren't friends, I hadn't realised how big a part their friendship played in my enjoyment of the show until it was gone.

- Barney looking at Robin in that way when Lily was joking about all the things he must have seen flash past him , it gave me high hopes that there will be a lot more to come with B/R.

The proposal was so random and I really do not think she's the mother either; I really like Sarah on the show though so hopefully she'll be back for next season, even if it is for a short time.
-Louise- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread