Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Elite Fan

The "How I Met Your Mother" Lexicon

lex⋅i⋅con
  /ˈlɛksɪˌkɒn, -kən/
1. a wordbook or dictionary, esp. of Greek, Latin, or Hebrew.
2. the vocabulary of a particular language, field, social class, person, etc.
3. inventory or record: unparalleled in the lexicon of human relations.
4. Linguistics.
a. the total inventory of morphemes in a given language.
b. the inventory of base morphemes plus their combinations with derivational morphemes.

This thread is intended as a way for us to compile all of the terms/phrases HIMYM has coined! It's a group project, so if you have anything to submit just post about it here with the term and a brief description, and it'll be added to the master list! If possible try to reference the episode it appeared/first appeared in, and who said it. Or if you have a better way to describe a term already listed then feel free to tweak! Quotes are also good!

Have fun!

A
AWESOMENESS (noun)
When you get sad, but stop being sad, and be awesome instead. (As defined by Barney on his motivation poster in his office).

B
Bagpipes (verb)
(Bagpipes)
To play the bagpipes mean to have sex. Also used as a substitue swear word - "what the bagpipe?" Can be used in various ways - bagpiping, bagpipers etc.

Bait (noun)
(Hooked)
An item with which a gentleman provides to a lady as an excuse to visit his place, so that they can both pretend they're not intending to have sex

Bask-ice-ball (noun)
Belly Full of Turkey
A sport invented by the Eriksen family, dubbed the "most dangerous and awesome sport in the world". A combination of hockey and basketball, it requires skates and pads and is apparently not for girls.

Belt, the (noun)
(Third Wheel)
A large and obnoxious belt set aside as a prize for he who rides the tricycle, aka has a threesome, first. It is held in the highest regard, and can often seem out of reach or untouchable due to numerous competitors sabotaging themselves and/or remaining quiet about their exploits. See also: Riding the Tricycle.

Blitz, The (noun)
(Blitzgiving)
An individual who leaves an event early and ends up missing something amazing. Attached phrase - "Awww man!"

Brunch (noun)
(World's Greatest Couple)
A beloved meal, combination of breakfast and lunch, that is normally enjoyed by couples because it is considered girly, much to Marshall's dismay.
Brad: I mean, why can't two single bros go out and rock brunch sunday-morning style?
Marshall: Exactly!

But, umm..
(Jenkins)
Transitionning expression overused by Robin when she interviews someone, to the extent that it became a drinking game where college students will take a shot everytime she says it.

C
Cheerleader Effect (the)(noun)
(Not a Father's Day)
Also known as the "Bridesmaids Paradox", the "Sorority Syndrom" and, for a brief window during the mid 1990s, the "Spice Girls Conspiracy", this effect takes place when a group of women seems hot, but only as a group. When you look at them individually, you realize they are not hot at all.

Cockamouse (noun)
(Matchmaker)
A creature that is believed to be a mutant combination between a cockroach and a mouse. Roughly the size of a potato, it has six legs, antennaes, a hard exoskeleton, whiskers, a tail, is covered with fur and it can fly.

Conference call (noun)
(Woooooo!)
A meeting usually between Ted/Marshall/Barney, so they can catch up and goof off during work, especially getting a 'daytime drunk'.

Couples Coma (noun)
(Single Stamina)
An expression that depicts the state of couples that get exhausted by simply leaving the comfort of their living room after 9 p.m. to go out. Couples Coma can be spotted by many signs, including body language (yawning), choice of drinks (wine), and an obsession to find a place to sit down. See: Single Stamina.

Couple's turf (noun)
The territory of people who are in a relationship. It includes brunches, fancy dinners and musicals. See also: brunch.

Crazy Eyes (noun)
(Swarley)
Something vague and non-descript that only men can recognize in a woman's eyes that indicate if she is crazy or not.

D
Dahmer (noun)
PS I Love You
It's a theory that one of the people in a relationship can get/become a little obsessed with their partner(s).

Devils Three Way (noun)
A threesome with two guys and a girl represented by the devil's horn hand gesture. As Barney says you "Never make eye contact!"

Dowisetrepla (noun)
(Dowisetrepla)
Like SoHo or Tribeca, Dowisetrepla is the name of a Manhattan neighbourhood, and happens to be the one in which Marshall and Lily bought an apartment. It stands for "Downwind of the Sewage Treatment Plant".

Drum Roll (Noun & verb)
(Drum Roll Please)
The intense, romantic moment just before two people are about to kiss. Coined by Victoria when she wanted her and Ted to only drumroll incase the kiss ruined their one and only perfect date.

E
F
Fieroasco (noun)
(Arrivederci, Fiero)
Also known as the 100K fiasco, the road trip Marshall and Ted took in college during which they became best friends while saving each other's lives.

Fifteen (adjective)
(Bachelor Party)
Used to describe a woman's appeal; a reference to blackjack: "as in, not sure whether or not you should hit it."

Front Porch Test (noun)
(The Front Porch)
A test for adding a new member to a friendship group: can you imagine yourself sitting on your front porch in your 70s playing Bridge with this person?

G
Game, to have (noun)
(Little Boys)
To have game is a measure of one's ability to pick up women, however it is often disputed. For example, to win the game may mean to get married, thus a man such as Marshall Eriksen would have the most game, as well as the most sex. Yet some believe this doesn't count and that only single men can properly measure having game. This can be done in a number of different ways, including making a bet on which of two alpha males can "score" with a woman in question first. Keep in mind, manipulation, trickery and fraud are indeed fair rules.

Guy (noun)
(Mosbius Designs)
Always preceded by a word that describes one's extra-curricular role in the workplace: Food Guy - brings his co-worker's food, Sports Guy - handles any office sports pools, Massage Guy - creepy.

H
Hook, the (noun)
(Hooked)
To keep somebody on the hook is to let them believe they have a chance with you in the future - keeping them around just in case. Sticking "...right now" on the end of any breakup is a classic on the hook catchphrase.

Hot/Crazy Scale, the (noun)
(How I Met Everyone Else)
A scale invented by Barney to judge how crazy a girl is allowed to be. If she's crazy, she has to be equally hot, and if she's really crazy, she has to be really hot. See also: Vicky Mendoza Diagonal; Shelly Gillespie Zone.

I
J
Jerk nails (noun)
(Swarley)
An indicator of whether a guy is a good guy, or a jerk. (See crazy eyes) Overly manicured nails. I just saw 'jerk nails' on a college rep, and BOY, was he a jerk!

K
L
Lawyered (verb)
(Mary the Paralegal)
Used by Marshall when using logic to defeat stupid arguments (usually Barney's)! For example - prostitution can't be the oldest profession, fishing is. Where else did the cavemen get the fish to pay the prostitutes?

Lemon Law (noun)
(The Duel)
A law inspired from the car business and created by Barney where two people on a first date have five minutes to decide if they are going to stay for the entire evening or just leave and never see each other again. No hard feelings.

M
Magic Lady Bits (noun)
(Landmarks)
Has the ability to control men minds

Marshpillow. The (noun)
(Desperation Day)
A body pillow Lily used as a replacement for Marshall. She got lonely during Desperation Day.

Mermaid Theory, The (noun)
(The Mermaid Theory)
The time it takes for a manatee (an unattrative woman) to become a mermaid (an attractive woman). Exceptions to this rule, pregnant woman automatically revert back to manatee status and can only become mermaids again by breast-feeding.

MILSWANCA (acronym)
(The Playbook)
"Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again".

Mosby, The (noun)
(The Leap)
To stop somebody from having feelings for you by telling them that you love them too fast. See: Ted's "I love you" to Robin in the Pilot after having only just met her, stopping things with them from going any further that night.

Murtaugh List, the (noun)
(Murtaugh)
A list of things one is too old to do. Named after Danny Glover's character in the Lethal Weapon films, Sergeant Roger Murtaugh, who was often heard declaring himself "too old for this ****".

N
Naked Man, the (noun)
(The Naked Man)
A technique used by a man to sleep with a woman on a first date when he knows there are no chances of being a second date. The man finds an excuse to be alone in the woman's appartment and then proceeds to strip down so he's standing naked when she comes back. This will, with a 2 out of 3 success ratio, make the woman laugh and lead to sex.

New Relationship Smugness (noun)
(Bagpipes)
New Relationship Smugness, or NRS, is a condition suffered by those in the 'honeymoon phase' of a relationship. "Everything is perfect, every song on the radio is about you, every other couple sucks". It often causes you to see problems in the longstanding relationships of others.

O
Old King Clancy (noun)
(Old King Clancy)
A Canadian Sex Act involving maple syrup. Other Canadian Sex Acts include: Sloppy Dog Sled, the Newfoundland Lobster Trap, the Full Mountie, the Sneaky Snow Plow, the Greasy Kayak, the Squatting Eskimo, the Sticky Flapjack, the Musty Goaltender, the Saskatoon Totem Pole and the Montreal Meat Pie.

Olive Theory, the (noun)
(Pilot)
Ted: The olive theory is based on my friends, Marshall and Lily. He hates olives, she loves them. In a weird way that's what makes them such a great couple. A Perfect balance.

P
Platinum Rule, The (noun)
(The Platinum Rule)
The one rule that stands above The Golden Rule, it stresses that one should never ever ever ever love thy neighbor. If you see someone on a regular basis, work with them or are paying them in some capacity, the rule states that under no circumstances are you to begin dating said person or else the same eight steps will occur: Attraction, Bargaining, Submission, Perks, The Tipping Point, Purgatory, Confrontation, Fallout. Some believe the Platinum Rule must be broken occasionally and that a ninth step, co-existence, exists which effectively makes the rule less menacing.

Possimpible, The (noun)
(The Possimpible)
The place beyond the impossible, where the possible and the impossible meet. Barney believes that making up words using other words shows initiative and is useful in particular when applying for jobs. Other examples include connectitude, transformatation and linkativity.

Q
R
Reading a Magazine (phrase)
(Benefits)
Euphemistic term for going to the toilet (for, uh, number twos!) originating from Marshall's inability to do the deed without taking a magazine into the bathroom with him.

Revertigo (noun)
(Sandcastles in the Sand)
A fairly common phenomenon that occurs when a person is around someone from his past and begins to revert back to who he was when he knew them.

Riding the tricycle (phrase)
Third Wheel
A metaphor for engaging in a threesome. Antonyms: To ride the unicycle, aka to masterbate alone.

S
Sandwich, to eat (verb)
An expression used by Ted to talk to his kids about an activity he was doing periodically in college and that involved illegal substances, i.e. smoking pot. Can also be used as a noun (sandwich) to describe the joint itself.

Sexless Innkeeper, the (noun)
(The Sexless Innkeeper)
Inviting someone back to your apartment expecting sex, only to have them fall asleep on your couch. By using you as a place to stay, they are treating you as The Sexless Innkeeper.

Shelley Gillespie Zone (noun)
A section in the crazy side of the Hot/Crazy Scale (see entry) named after a girl Barney dated who gained twenty pounds (making her less hot) and tried to kill him with a brick (more crazy).

Signal, The (noun)
(Pilot)
Widely disputed among experts, the signal is said to be an unspoken sign from subject A that alerts subject B that he or she will allow subject B to kiss subject A. Some believe the signal does not exist or should be ignored, however, sometimes the signal's waves can be too strong to be ignored.

Single Stamina (noun)
(Single Stamina)
An expression that describes the attitude of singles in a bar or a club. People with Single Stamina will stay on their feet for maneuverability, will most likely choose social drinks (like shots) and will multiply the occasions to meet other singles by keeping a positive and upbeat attitude. See also: Couples Coma.

Slap Bet (noun)
(Slap Bet)
A bet where no money or property is involved, and the prize for losing is getting to slap the loser across the face as hard as they possibly can. Excellent for bets of extreme importance. See also: Slap Bet Commissioner. (Note: Rings cannot be worn when the Slap is performed.)

Slap Bet Commissioner (noun)
(Slap Bet)
A Slap Bet Commissioner can be employed to regulate the rules of the Slap Bet.
Barney: If a problem arises and we need a ruling, that's your job. But you have to be unbiased and put the integrity of slap bet above all else. This is an honor you will take with you to your grave. On your tombstone, it will read, "Lily Aldrin, caring wife, loving friend, Slap Bet Commissioner."

Slapsgiving (noun)
(Slapsgiving)
A holiday created by Marshall to give slaps. Origin: created to torment Barney as part of his punishment for losing a slap bet (five slaps to be doled out across eternity). See also: Slap Bet.

Smurf Penis (noun)
(Pilot)
The nickname given to the blue French horn Ted stole for Robin on their first date.

Spoiler Alert (noun)
(Spoiler Alert)
When someone has just been informed of a friend's or significant other's annoying habit that he or she had not previously been aware of. Usually the moment of occurrence is accompanied by the sound of glass shattering followed by a period of extreme annoyance over the bad habit in question.

Stovinkerator (noun)
A futuristic appliance that combines a stove, an oven, a sink and a refrigerator.

Suit Up! (verb)
(Pilot)
A phrase coined by Barney, meaning "to put on a suit". Variations: suited up, birthday suited up.

Swarley (noun)
(Swarley)
A misspelling or misnomer of Barney. A barista with 'the crazy eyes' (former date of Marshall's), wrote Swarley on Barney's order of coffee, on a cup. Thus, this became a source of amusement for his friends, and torture for Barney. Variations: Swar (wait for it) lee, Swarlos, Swarles, Swar-lay Mon.

T
Ted Out/Up (verb)
(Matchmaker)
To overthink/To overthink with disasterous consequences.
Lily: Don't Ted-out about it.
Ted: Did you just use my name as a verb?
Barney: Oh, yeah, we do that behind your back. "Ted-out": to overthink. See also "Ted-up". "Ted-up": to overthink with disastrous consequences. For example, "Billy Tedded-up when he-"
Ted: All right, I get it!

Telepathic Conversations (noun)
(Mary the Paralegal)
A mental conversation between two people totally in tune with each other.

(to) Text (verb)
(Single Stamina)
To use a cell phone to send a short message to someone. Can also be interpreted as a clear sign that someone is no longer single, especially if used in a bar.
Ted: You guys don't think that James is... in a relationship?
Robin: No! There's no way. He's Barney's brother.
Marshall: Look at that! He's texting!
[ALL GASP]
Ted: Oh My God. He is in a couple.

Three Days Rule, The (noun)
(The Three Days Rule)
A rule created by Barney in which you must wait three days to call a woman. Inspiration: Jesus waiting three days to come back to life.

Turturkeykey (noun)
(Blitzgiving)
Cooking a smaller turkey inside of a larger turkey, a concotion invented by Ted who later deems it "wrong"

U
Underpants Radius (noun)
(The Best Burger in New York)
The distance in which someone feels comfortable wearing only underpants. For most people, it's equivalent to the distance from the bedroom to the bathroom, but as one's self esteem gets smaller, the radius gets bigger, possibly leading to wearing underpants in public.

V
Vicky Mendoza Diagonal (noun)
A line on the Hot/Crazy Scale (see entry). Hot is on the Y axis and Crazy on the X axis. The line starts from 0 with a slope of 1. Basically plot where the girl lies on the graph (crazy, hot) and determine on which side she falls on the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal. If she's below the line on the crazy side, the relationship isn't worth pursuing. Named after a girl Barney dated who "played jump-rope with that line. She'd shave her head, then lose ten pounds. She'd stab me with a fork, then get a boob job."

W
Window, The
(The Window)
The period of time between somebody ending one relationship and meeting/falling in love with somebody else.

Woo girl/s (noun)
(Woooo!)
A type of young woman who gets her name from the signature sound she makes. A woo can be elicited from a certain song coming on the jukebox to half-priced shots; from a ride on a mechanical bull; to, well, pretty much anything.

X
Y
Yips, The (noun)
(The Yips)
When you over think the simple things so much that you can't do them at all. i.e. the second basemen who suddenly can't throw to first, or the figure skater who does a perfect triple toe loop and then loses it on the arabesque. Can also be applied to hitting on women.

Z
Zitchdog (noun)
(Arrivederci, Fiero)
A car game to keep driver and passengers entertained. Players yell "zitchdog" every time they see a dog and whomever says it first gets a point.

Last edited by Mysteria; 02-25-2013 at 11:38 AM
*~*Rach*~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Elite Fan

Okay guys - go for it! I haven't added many of the really obvious ones yet, I just put a couple of examples in so you could see how I was thinking we could set it out.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Air
Elite Fan

Rach - does this include things like "The Hot Crazy Scale"? and various theories/lessons etc. that appear on the show as well?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Elite Fan

Good question! Yes! Everything like that. Crazy eyes and jerk nails, all of that stuff! Lemon law. Platinum rule.

Even terms that they haven't necessarily made up themselves should probably go in there, like the Yips and intervention.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Air
Elite Fan

K thanks! I will start defining some of those and then start thinking of some others!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

It's going to be a HIMYM terms & phrases bible!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Total Fan

Oooh!! I can't wait to start!!! That's such a great thread idea! I hope everyone adds to it!!

I'm going to go watch some episodes to see what I can find... so fun!
Daph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Elite Fan

Slapsgiving (noun)
(Slapsgiving)
A holiday created by Marshall to give slaps.

Is that good enough? Do you want quotes or for it to mention how it's focused on Barney and the five slaps?
Amy | icon | livejournal | tumblr
natural_disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Elite Fan

Woo, our first non-me contribution!

That's pretty much perfect! Maybe an extra sentence mentioning why Marshall's giving slaps? Like maybe "A holiday created by Marshall to give slaps. Origin: created to torment Barney as part of his punishment for losing a slap bet (five slaps to be doled out across eternity). See also: Slap Bet."

And then we'd have an entry for Slap Bet too.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Slapsgiving (noun)
(Slapsgiving)
A holiday created by Marshall to give slaps. Origin: created to torment Barney as part of his punishment for losing a slap bet (five slaps to be doled out across eternity). See also: Slap Bet."

I stole your genius.

Suit Up! (verb)
(Pilot)
A phrase coined by Barney, meaning "to put on a suit". Variations: suited up, birthday suited up.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Elite Fan

Yay! I've added them I also put in Slap Bet and Slap Bet Commissioner.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

Late, but for the Lexicon thread!

How about Zitchdog?
(noun)
A car game to keep driver and passengers entertained. Players yell "zitchdog" every time they see a dog and whomever says it first gets a point.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Total Fan

Allright, got two!

Lemon Law (noun)
(The Duel)
A law inspired from the car business and created by Barney where two people on a first date have five minutes to decide if they are going to stay for the entire evening or just leave and never see each other again. No hard feelings.

Cockamouse (noun)
(Matchmaker)
A creature that is believed to be a mutant combination between a cockroach and a mouse. Roughly the size of a potato, it has six legs, antennaes, a hard exoskeleton, whiskers, a tail, is covered with fur and it can fly.

Last edited by Daph; 06-15-2009 at 04:16 PM
Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

The Three Days Rule (noun)
(The Three Days Rule)
A rule created by Barney in which you must wait three days to call a woman. Inspiration: Jesus waiting three days to come back to life.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Total Fan

I'm loving this thread!! I'm rediscovering so many things!!!
Reply   Post New Thread