Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Damn, FF shrunk another pic of yours. And yeah, I know that scene. That's from The Robin, and it ruined what could've been a beautiful Ted/Robin scene. And I honestly don't care of Ted asked her to go, Robin would've stayed with Ted knowing how important this day was to him. This was just the writers screwing around with us again.

Well, they had planned out the wedding to take place at the end of season 8, but when they got an early renewal for a 9th season, they realized they'd have to figure out some way to stretch it out. That's why the second half of season 8 had so many filler episodes with that crazy Jeanette woman. Was that really necessary? And that was also the reason for making season 9 all about the wedding, something I'm sure the writers wish they hadn't done now.

But you're right, both Ted and Robin were acting in ways that contradicted their previous behavior, which was frustrating. It made them both seem crazy.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

It was full size when I posted it idk why it's doing that.

I agree! It did ruin the scene. I'll never understand why it had to be that night. Robin DID NOT want to get out of the limo and only did so because Ted pushed her to. She kept saying how she wanted to be with him that night. Who knows what could have happened if she went to his opening with him they did screw with us a lot..even if he saw the clues it was still frustrating to sit through that's why I only watch that episode up until Robin gets out of the limo.

Yeah she was definitely out there. There's no way Ted from earlier seasons would have dated her. And she ended up with Kevin I bet they do regret stretching that wedding out. They got a lot of backlash. Speaking of I keep forgetting to tell you this. Someone on Twitter asked Craig why he had Ted and Robin end up together after she told him she didn't love him. He responded that at the time she had to say no but decades later she was in a place to say yes..straight from the horses mouth he has a lot of political posts but people still mention the show and ask about the fate of Ted and Robin.

Last edited by Purplerose82; 04-18-2017 at 04:26 PM
Purplerose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know why it does that either, Amber. Sometimes the pics aren't even that big, and FF shrinks them.

Hi, Amber! I'm sorry for not posting yesterday. I came home exhausted from work and after I ate I went to taka a nap and just passed out. Slept the whole night. I'm off today, thankfully.

Yeah, I agree. I think the way the writers structured that whole storyline was just because they needed some damn wedding for their big climax because they established that Ted met Tracy at a wedding early on in the series. They were digging a hole for themselves and the didn't figured it out in time. But Tobin leaving Ted on his big day to go meet on that rooftop just made her look shallow. And we know that it's inconsistent with her character because this is the building that Ted designed back in season two and that she was the first to see the design for. So you'd think she'd at least go with him and then find out what wanted later. Again, I'll never understand Bays and Thomas for that, and I do think they earned much of the criticism they got after the show ended.

Jeanette was ten times worse than either Stella or Zoey, and it was probably Ted being a little self destructive after Robin got engaged. And thanks for that quote from Craig Thomas! I knew it all along! But... when he said that Robin had to say "no," what did he mean, specifically? I'm assuming she didn't really mean it, but I always assumed it was because she didn't want Ted to end up with someone who could never give him the children and family he always wanted. Was Thomas saying that, or did she "have" to say no because she still wasn't ready and wanted to make Ted give up on her? Damn it, what happened in Russia? It's good that people still ask these questions, though.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, I've posted pics and they came out big and FF didnt shrink them..I had to find a smaller one

Hey that's a good point! I forgot that she was the first to see that design t was pretty shallow of her. She could have been firm that she was staying with Ted but like always he was putting her first. That episode is what started my dislike for you know who..

Here I found it for you:
Fan: just wondering why you put Ted and Robin together in the end when Ted asked Robin do you love me and she said no
Craig: Life has many chapters, twists and turns..at that moment she had to say no. A couple decades later its different.
he didnt clarify any further tho

and this one:
Fan: do Ted and Robin stay together forever after Ted asks her out? Do they get married?
Craig: I think they embark upon a new adventure together, which is what love is, at any age, under any circumstance.

I wish he went into more detail! This could be used in a future debate cant dispute what the creator said. Why have them end up together if they are just gonna split a year later? I think people say that because they cant accept the ending. I get it but I give them more credit for sticking to their end then giving in to fan pressure
Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hi, Amber! Sorry, I was kind of out of it again yesterday. Man, I need a vacation terribly.

Yep, Robin was the first to see the design of the GNB building back in the season 2 episode 'Ted Mosby: Architect.' That's one of the big clues I had about the ending. The fact that the episode led us to believe one thing, but the ending revealed something totally different. And yeah, I get what you're saying. It was kind of unfair for the writers to do that. It's one of the many things that made me angry at Bays and Thomas more than "you know who."

Thanks for that quote, Amber! But I don't buy that "life has many chapters" BS. Thomas is basically taking the cheap way out, but he's breaking the "you can't just say it, you have to show it" rule of writing. I think it would've been much better if we had seen Robin get to know Penny and Luke and grow to just love them like they were her own. That would've been fun to see, and it would've made the audience who didn't get the ending understand it more.

I also don't buy that "new adventure" stuff either. I mean, sure... it makes sense that Ted and Robin now embark on the next chapter of their lives together. But to go through all that and not end up together? That's just anticlimactic, and he should've been able to answer that question... especially since we're never going to see Ted and Robin again. I just think Bays and Thomas are somewhat cowardly as writers and don't really know how to plot their stories well in the long term. They're great in the short term, but plotting out a story that far in advance requires you to keep your writing and the audience on course, and they were just sloppy with that. But I'm also glad that they stuck to their ending and didn't give in to any fan pressure to end things differently because if they did, then the entire story and everything that happened in the eight seasons leading up to the ending wouldn't have made sense.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

You and me both. I got called into work last minute

You're welcome! Yeah, he was kinda dancing around it. You can't end it like that and then be vague when someone questions it. It's funny because Carter said he regrets the ending they used. Well they had plenty of time to change it so does he really feel that way or was it lip service? And in the season 9 commentary he said "how could we not end it with Robin" That's what I don't like. So if he says in one post he stands by it then he should continue to do and not back track because he didn't please everyone.

I would have loved to see Robin become part of their family and how her and Teds relationship was during that time. I think it would have soften the blow. A lot of people forgot about the crayon drawings and how she grew to love Halloween.

Last edited by Purplerose82; 04-21-2017 at 05:07 PM
Old 04-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope you get one soon.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks I hit submit too soon so I went back to edit my last post
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's okay, Amber. It happens to all of us.

Aww, I'm sorry you got called in. I hope you get some time off soon.

Carter said that? I'm assuming that he would still end things with Ted and Robin, but do it in a way that explains it better to the audience. I remember Thomas saying that in hindsight they should've made Robin the mother, which I agree with.

Oh, I always bring up the crayon drawings. You'd be amazed by all the ways people try to explain that away, and none of it makes any sense. But I agree, they should've built up the ending more, showing how Robin became part of Ted's family, and how Penny and Luke became so attached to her. I mean, I appreciate the crayon drawings, but I would've preferred a little bit more.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have some time off coming in the next week. I can't wait!

I really think he said that stuff because of the backlash. The ending we got was the only one that made sense and they knew it! And Robin should have been the mother..they could have done the show the same way and it still would have been about how they needed to have individual growth before getting back together.

The crayon drawings were a huge hint! They could have shown them actually at the zoo or the beach to remind people of it since that episode was back in season 3. Maybe shown Robin come over for dinner or on a family vacation with them...something! it would have been a big help to see them reconnect and maybe people would remember the connection and stop assuming they will break up after a week
Old 04-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome, Amber! I hope you get some rest.

Yeah, again, I think Thomas and Bays started to realize they screwed up when Thomas admitted that Robin should've been the mother. But they wanted their surprise twist endings, and you can't do that if you let the audience know the ending in advance. But if you're gonna do that, then you have to make sure you stay on course with your ending, not drift all over the place the way they did.

Ohhh, the crayon drawings and Lily and Marshall's bet, with Marshall's "not yet" statement is what finally convinced me. I knew Ted and Robin would end up together before the final season even began. But I ended up getting into a lot of arguments about it with other fans on YouTube who wouldn't believe me. And yes, it would've been nice to see some bonding time between Robin and Ted, and Robin, Penny, and Luke, so the audience could get a sense of her becoming their surrogate mother and becoming a part of their family. And how could anyone assume Ted and Robin would break up in a week? It's not like they just got back together or something. The narration clearly states that Robin's been part of their family for years after Tracy died, so she's been with them already, even if she and Ted hadn't made it "official."
Old 04-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Awesome, Amber! I hope you get some rest.

Yeah, again, I think Thomas and Bays started to realize they screwed up when Thomas admitted that Robin should've been the mother. But they wanted their surprise twist endings, and you can't do that if you let the audience know the ending in advance. But if you're gonna do that, then you have to make sure you stay on course with your ending, not drift all over the place the way they did.

Ohhh, the crayon drawings and Lily and Marshall's bet, with Marshall's "not yet" statement is what finally convinced me. I knew Ted and Robin would end up together before the final season even began. But I ended up getting into a lot of arguments about it with other fans on YouTube who wouldn't believe me. And yes, it would've been nice to see some bonding time between Robin and Ted, and Robin, Penny, and Luke, so the audience could get a sense of her becoming their surrogate mother and becoming a part of their family. And how could anyone assume Ted and Robin would break up in a week? It's not like they just got back together or something. The narration clearly states that Robin's been part of their family for years after Tracy died, so she's been with them already, even if she and Ted hadn't made it "official."
Hi, Alex! Sorry it took me a while to respond. I had a busy weekend.

Yeah the "not yet" was a big one. I would like to add that Lily never asked Marshall to pay up at the wedding which was a big clue that things between Ted and Robin were not over. She was so convinced she would win...maybe she didn't believe the marriage would last either

So I think I'm gonna stick to just this board from now on. The debates at Reddit are getting tired. The newest one is how Ted is emotionally abusive towards Robin. Someone posted a list of signs and one was saying I love you too soon so they ran with it. It's funny though all the other signs point to someone else we know very well. *sigh*
Old 04-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hi, Amber! It's okay, I had a busy weekend too.

Good point about Lily not asking Marshall to pay up at Robin's wedding. I guess Lily had doubts about whether Robin would stay married, huh? Marshall actually didn't pay up until Ted married Tracy, but then he got his money back in the deleted scene from the finale when Lily finally had to pay up.

Awww, you're always welcome here, Amber. I know, I've seen other sites and the haters over there can get really nasty. I'll admit that we had some issues here on this board as well after the finale aired, and we lost a lot of regular posters, but we're still here. And Ted being emotionally abusive to Robin? Total BS. I've never been to Reddit, but I am surprised that they're still going on and on about this over there.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Passionate Fan

Moderator of ...
How I Met Your Mother

Am I the only one that supports Ted with both Tracy AND Robin?

Although I really don't think Robin being the mother would have been something I would have enjoyed. Ted not only found his soulmate and mother of his children but also found love again after Tracy died
Ropetuned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetuned (View Post)
Am I the only one that supports Ted with both Tracy AND Robin?

Although I really don't think Robin being the mother would have been something I would have enjoyed. Ted not only found his soulmate and mother of his children but also found love again after Tracy died
Hi, there! I don't know, I haven't seen anyone else who felt that way, though.

And I think Craig Thomas was speaking from a narrative point of view. The entire story was always meant to end with Ted and Robin, and Tracy was always supposed to be this invisible MacGuffin that the audience was never supposed to see until the end. So I think by the time they got near the end of the show, Thomas began to have second thoughts about the way they structured the entire story and that maybe they had been a little too clever, and that having Robin be the mother would've made things a little easier to understand and less divisive.