Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

That would have been great! they always have their grandkids to look forward to even though biologically they aren't Robins they will still be hers
Purplerose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplerose82 (View Post)
That would have been great! they always have their grandkids to look forward to even though biologically they aren't Robins they will still be hers
Hi, Amber! Sorry for not posting here yesterday. I was so out of it after work and worn out I just fell asleep.

Thanks so much for liking so many of my comments on YouTube! I saw you on my timeline!

Yeah, good point. Penny and Luke's kids will call Robin grandmother, won't they?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Lol! I didn't know there was a feature where you can see who liked your comments. I had some downtime at work last night and wanted to read the comments on the ending. Man, there were a lot of people who didn't get it. You sure have some valid points though but it was still lost on them.

Oh Ted! He has bad timing in saying ILY doesn't he? she still wanted to see him after so it couldn't have scared her that bad
Old 04-13-2017, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, Google+ alerts you to any replies or likes on your comments.

Oh, it was even worse back in 2013 and 2014. I got into so many arguments back then.

Yeah, but Robin did later say, "Falafel" to Ted in season two.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Yeah, Google+ alerts you to any replies or likes on your comments.

Oh, it was even worse back in 2013 and 2014. I got into so many arguments back then.

Yeah, but Robin did later say, "Falafel" to Ted in season two.
Oh cool! I'll have to check mine out..yeah a lot of your replies come up in top comments so I was able to read a lot of them maybe because I subscribed to you.

I can't believe people's logic on there. The two I hate the most are "Robin never loved Ted", "They will just break up again for the thousandth time" while there was only one breakup..yet no one complains about the back and forth between Barney and Robin ugh

I was watching the Wedding Bride episode and there was a part at the table where you can hear them all talking over each other about not going to see that movie. You can clearly hear Robin say to Ted "I will never see that film because I support you and I love you" they weren't dating at the time either
Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I've noticed my comments are really popular. Well, not with everyone.

I know, right? People tend to remember things the way they want to remember. Ted and Robin only officially broke up once because they never officially got back together until the future in 2030. When they were roommates with benefits, they were not back together, and they didn't even have a chance to get back together in No Pressure, so how exactly could they break up for the "thousandth time"?

Well, let's try to keep the conversation on Ted and Robin, okay? FF doesn't want bashing of other ships on these threads, so we'll just refer to them as BR, or "the other couple."

Wait, Robin said that to Ted? What episode was this again?

Ohh, the one about Stella's husband having written a movie based on her wedding to Ted, which made Ted look really bad? I remember that one. But I didn't remember Robin's line to Ted.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yes there are many things about Ted and Robin they wanted to forget because they were so sure how the show would end. No Pressure was the closest they got but if she hadn't just found out she couldn't have kids I have no doubt they would have been back together.

I apologize I will try to stay on topic

She sure did! I had to rewind it to make sure! Her voice gets faint as future Ted starts talking but you can see read her lips and she definitely said it..it's pretty clear! In was in the episode "The Wedding Bride" season 5 episode 23 which is the episode right before the season finale where she breaks up with Don and nearly hooks up with Ted
Old 04-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's okay, Amber. No apologies are necessary. I've done the same thing myself many times and had mods tell me the same thing. Even though I agree with you, and I do find it frustrating, FF doesn't want us to actually say it, so we just have to work around it. I'll sometimes just type B and R so anyone can assume anything.

My theory has always been that the show didn't become really popular until season 3 and 4, after Ted and Robin had already broken up. The first two seasons were the story the show's creators actually wanted to tell, but those seasons weren't seen by as many people and many fans forgot about them as the show continued into seasons 5 and 6, when you-know-who started becoming popular. That's why I think the writers should've made sure they kept going back to Ted and Robin and keeping the story on track instead of veering away from them so much. I've also suspected that the growing popularity of you-know-who might've motivated the network to ask the writers to do more with that, and Bays and Thomas might've just been trying to accommodate them while also trying to stick with their story. But they really should've just stuck to what they originally intended and not drifted so far off-point.

Ahhh, yes... The Wedding Bride was season 5, wasn't it? And it was right before Robin's breakup with Don and her moving back in with Ted, when they nearly had sex again. Damn, that was a good ending to season 5, and they totally messed it up the following season.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
It's okay, Amber. No apologies are necessary. I've done the same thing myself many times and had mods tell me the same thing. Even though I agree with you, and I do find it frustrating, FF doesn't want us to actually say it, so we just have to work around it. I'll sometimes just type B and R so anyone can assume anything.

My theory has always been that the show didn't become really popular until season 3 and 4, after Ted and Robin had already broken up. The first two seasons were the story the show's creators actually wanted to tell, but those seasons weren't seen by as many people and many fans forgot about them as the show continued into seasons 5 and 6, when you-know-who started becoming popular. That's why I think the writers should've made sure they kept going back to Ted and Robin and keeping the story on track instead of veering away from them so much. I've also suspected that the growing popularity of you-know-who might've motivated the network to ask the writers to do more with that, and Bays and Thomas might've just been trying to accommodate them while also trying to stick with their story. But they really should've just stuck to what they originally intended and not drifted so far off-point.

Ahhh, yes... The Wedding Bride was season 5, wasn't it? And it was right before Robin's breakup with Don and her moving back in with Ted, when they nearly had sex again. Damn, that was a good ending to season 5, and they totally messed it up the following season.
Oh ok! I can do that..I'll just save my in depth opinions on that other one for YouTube

Yeah you have a point! Episodes like No Pressure and Something Old were more like "hey guys don't forget about Ted and Robin. We are still heading that way!" But like we discussed before they foreshadowed the wedding to far in advance and took a weird route to get there!

Yup season 5.. in season 6 it was like "Ted and Robin had a relationship?" Little flashbacks here and there but it would have been a good time to revisit it somehow like make them actually relapse.

This episode is great when they first get together
Old 04-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Okay, Amber.

Yeah, that was annoying when the writers would drift away from Ted and Robin and then do an episode that was intended to get the story back on point. Many critics said that it seemed like "lazy writing" for the writers to always go back to Ted and Robin, not realizing that Ted and Robin were actually endgame. That's why I wish that Bays and Thomas hadn't tried to be too clever in what they were doing. They got so caught up in their misdirection that they let themselves slide too far off target. And that stupid wedding was the worst narrative decision they ever made.

I think they were so focused on season 6 being about their 100th episode and celebrating the show finally getting into permanent syndication(the 100 episode is the gold standard) that someone forgot to keep the show on track. I was also miffed that there were a lot of HIMYM fans who only started watching the show after Ted and Robin broke up, which is why I thought it was a mistake to break them up so early at the end of season 2. They should've waiting until season 3 to do that, like Friends did with Ross and Rachel.

I think FF shrunk your pic too. Was that from when they first started dating in season 2?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Okay, Amber.

Yeah, that was annoying when the writers would drift away from Ted and Robin and then do an episode that was intended to get the story back on point. Many critics said that it seemed like "lazy writing" for the writers to always go back to Ted and Robin, not realizing that Ted and Robin were actually endgame. That's why I wish that Bays and Thomas hadn't tried to be too clever in what they were doing. They got so caught up in their misdirection that they let themselves slide too far off target. And that stupid wedding was the worst narrative decision they ever made.

I think they were so focused on season 6 being about their 100th episode and celebrating the show finally getting into permanent syndication(the 100 episode is the gold standard) that someone forgot to keep the show on track. I was also miffed that there were a lot of HIMYM fans who only started watching the show after Ted and Robin broke up, which is why I thought it was a mistake to break them up so early at the end of season 2. They should've waiting until season 3 to do that, like Friends did with Ross and Rachel.

I think FF shrunk your pic too. Was that from when they first started dating in season 2?
Happy Easter!

They definitely could have stretched their relationship out..maybe have it 3 seasons but they didn't know if they would get cancelled I guess. How could it be lazy writing when the whole show was a lead up to them getting back together? the execution was the problem not the content. You know how I feel about that wedding haha. It was a mistake for sure. I feel that one of the reasons the writers had her marry him was so Ted that had to "let her go". If it was someone else he probably would have ran off with her. At the end of the day it didn't matter tho because neither one let go that's why they ended up together

Yeah my pic did shrink that was also from "Where Were We" when they first started dating
Old 04-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Happy Easter, Amber! I'm sorry, I forgot to give you a Happy Easter yesterday.

Well, my problem is that because they ended Ted and Robin's relationship in season 2, many fans that didn't start watching How I Met Your Mother until after the Britney Spears episode didn't know much about Ted and Robin's story. Many forgot, others never saw it. And it was the writers' responsibility to keep their story front and center, but by seasons 4, 5, and 6 they really slacked off with that.

Oh, I get the whole "letting go" thing, but OMG, what's the point if you know they're just gonna end up together in the end anyway? It's sacrificing a lot of story logic just for the "one big trick." They know they'll never get over each other, and that they'll always come back to each other, so what's the point of all these "letting go" lessons that won't really amount to much? I understood that it was all about Ted and Robin having to go through everything they went though so that they could evolve from the people they were in 2005 who weren't ready to be together, to the people they would become in 2030 who were finally ready. But they took way too long, and they dragged it out and kept repeating it. They should've just kept Ted and Robin on-off and "will-they/won't-they," but the writers said they wanted to avoid the Ross/Rachel thing. But there's a reason the Ross/Rachel thing worked.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hi, Alex! I hope you enjoyed your time off! It was back to work for me today and I already need another day off

Yeah the whole "letting go" thing was annoying. I think they were trying to say he "let go" before he met the mother but it didnt really work. How many times did they both "let go' only to come running back? When Robin was trying to run off with him and he told her he wasnt that guy anymore I thought "come on 12 hrs ago you were telling her there was no top one just her".(now that i think about it maybe it was him pushing her to move on like she did in no pressure) It could have been spread out instead of all that filler and maybe it wouldnt have felt so weird. It will have always ended the way it was supposed to but the execution needed work. They should have ended it season 6 or 7 IMO and I think it would have been better.

I agree about the "will they/wont they" but they couldnt sacrifice their trick ending haha
Old 04-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks, Amber! Yeah, I need another weekend off. My feet and legs ache. I hope you get some time off this summer.

Well, that's what I never really got about Sunrise and the whole "balloon" metaphor. They were going to such extreme lengths to set up the audience for their surprise ending that they made both Ted and Robin act illogically at times, often contradicting themselves, like you mentioned. Yeah, Ted really did a 180 degree turn there, didn't he? And as long as CBS kept renewing the show, they were gonna have to keep making more seasons, so ending it in season 6 or 7 wasn't possible. They wanted to end it in season 7, but then they got renewed. Then the plan was to end it in season 8, but they got renewed again, which is why we got the wedding from hell.

I don't mind the trick ending, as long as they stayed on point and not veered off track so often, like they ended up doing.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Thanks, Amber! Yeah, I need another weekend off. My feet and legs ache. I hope you get some time off this summer.

Well, that's what I never really got about Sunrise and the whole "balloon" metaphor. They were going to such extreme lengths to set up the audience for their surprise ending that they made both Ted and Robin act illogically at times, often contradicting themselves, like you mentioned. Yeah, Ted really did a 180 degree turn there, didn't he? And as long as CBS kept renewing the show, they were gonna have to keep making more seasons, so ending it in season 6 or 7 wasn't possible. They wanted to end it in season 7, but then they got renewed. Then the plan was to end it in season 8, but they got renewed again, which is why we got the wedding from hell.

I don't mind the trick ending, as long as they stayed on point and not veered off track so often, like they ended up doing.
You said it perfectly! Another example of contradiction is when it was implied that Robin said "no" because of the kids issue yet in the "End of the Aisle" she wanted to run off with him and start a new life even though the issue was not resolved. I get that it was more than cold feet but how they handled it was odd. Then Ted turns her down and it seems like that was the reason she went through with the wedding..then they acted like it never happened.

It could have been planned out better but I'm assuming they didn't have much time to structure the last season properly.

Ugh this scene crushes me every time

Reply   Post New Thread