Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Loyal Fan

I haven't been here in a really long time () but I've been keeping up via intstagram/twitter. Anyway, I wanted to pop in and say the record is so good! I like how stylized it is and it does everything they've been saying it would in interviews. It's a really interesting snap shot from a clearly specific period of time for them. I'm glad we have a pretty solid live library from them bc they do have a different sound live since they've grown/it's live so they use different stuff to get their sound and now we finally have the recorded versions too. It's nice to have both. This must be such a cool time for them and I hope they're proud of their work. Impossible is everything, btw.

Love those show pics! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Okay the beard is getting old, Penn. Please shave!
lol Aww, I remain pro beard. He grows such good ones. #letthebeardliveplease
Old 03-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Loyal Fan

MOTHXR on Spotify:
Stranger 640K
Touch 289K
SCT 239K
Centerfold 169K
Easy 89K
Underground 17K
Impossible 18K

Quote:
Field Trip, MOTHXR Take on Brooklyn
Friday was a sufficiently shoegazey evening at Baby’s All Right in Williamsburg, with NYU-incubated psychonauts Field Trip opening for Brooklyn’s own MOTHXR in celebration of their debut album’s release that very same night. They’ll be crisscrossing the European continent in support of the record for the next few months, so Friday’s show constituted a farewell to the loyal New York fans that have made MOTHXR a familiar, if unpronounceable, name in the indie music scene of late.

The shoebox-sized backroom was sparsely peopled with wall huggers, drink-holding conversationalists and a loyal front-center-throng when Field Trip took the stage promptly at 9 p.m. with a few selections from their debut EP “The Sounds Inside Your Mind.” Though young enough to bear the X’s of underage shame on the backs of their hands, Field Trip pulled off their lo-fidelity space caravan sound admirably. They also worked in an appropriately drowsy cover of Marcy’s Playground’s “Sex & Candy” that had knees and shoulders sagging in beautiful unison from wall to wall. After a few polite thank you’s and the obligatory merch table reminder, the field trip concluded and the boys filtered off stage.
I overheard them later talking with the bouncer about the Achilles heels of fake ID’s state-by-state (evidently Ohio’s got routinely sloppy holograms, and Rhode Island is always suspect, because “there’s only like 2000 people that live there in the first place”). But it was a cold and blustery night in Williamsburg so cigarettes were smoked quickly and I began pushing my way back into the considerably more packed floor just as MOTHXR were taking the stage.

As MOTHXR were tuning up the crowd began to chatter excitedly over the arrival of lead singer Penn Badgley, well-known for his role as Dan Humphrey in the popular drama “Gossip Girl.” Luckily anyone’s insufferable contrarian nature was proven wrong in short order when Badgley and his band finally launched into their set.
I gladly swallowed my skepticism in the face of 45 minutes of keyboard-backed, dancey pop tracks complete with some nice palm-muted arpeggiated guitar riffs that were reminiscent of Foals. The comparison to a big name indie act is worthy here because of how well mixed a performance they managed to execute; not a single element sounded overpowered and you could even make out the bass line on nearly every track.
While that kudos might be better directed to the sound tech, there’s something to be said for stage presence and MOTHXR came off convincingly like a band about to kick off a 20 date tour across two continents. It was a worthy farewell show, and perhaps also a glimpse into what the future holds for Field Trip, still rough but very much on the come up.
Keep an eye out for future Field Trip dates, and pick up MOTHXR’s debut album “Centerfold” from their website, or stream it on Spotify.
WSN : Field Trip, MOTHXR Take on Brooklyn

Last edited by chloe89; 03-01-2016 at 08:18 AM
chloe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:56 AM
Elite Fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYjG...ure=youtu.be&a
another I guess not so good review

true statement
Quote:
miles baevis. ‏@irongrrlrock

@filmkhaleesi @MOTHXR i can't wait to have public sex to this album

Underground on Vulture top 10 songs
Quote:
MOTHXR, “Underground”
The Penn Badgley–helmed MOTHXR is that rare actor-turned-musician band that actually works. There’s no semblance of Lonely Boy when Badgley broods over a relationship that ended before it began in “Underground.” Here, he’s more akin to multi-instrumentalist Lo-Fang than a CW heartthrob, although both have TV-ready hair. The album contains only a smattering of highlights compared to the rest, but it’s a solid first for them and anyone trying to reshape their image. —JM
This Week’s Best New Music -- Vulture

Last edited by science girlfriend; 03-02-2016 at 03:03 AM
science girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

Thanks guys
upchitzcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Extreme Fan

has there been any good reviews?

NKD Magazine:

simon is really pretty
Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Elite Fan

he is!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Extreme Fan

if penn doesn't get a haircut soon i might become a simon stan

eta: does anyone here know how to make a wikipedia page? I noticed MOTHXR don't have one and I think they should

Last edited by rainforest; 03-03-2016 at 08:23 PM
rainforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 AM
Elite Fan

Im already a Simon stan!

good review!
Quote:
Our Daily Buzz today comes from this all American quartet hailing from Brooklyn going by the name of MOTHXR. They have just released their debut album ‘Centerfold’ and we bring you one of the standout out tracks from their album as today’s Daily Buzz. This track being the fantastic ‘Touch’ which is described by the American indie pop four piece as a track about “Romantic despair and sexual disillusionment.”

It’s easy to hear this throughout the track as it’s a downbeat, dark and heavy track full of muted guitar riffs, low vocals and building synths. It’s a slick track with an old school beat that drives the song and builds into a massive instrumental full of layered cinematic droning synths. Their debut album is full of experimental tracks and sounds just like those showcased in ‘Touch’ and for a debut album it has a great consistency and is worth checking out!

These guys are currently on tour across Europe supporting The Neighbourhood’ and will be playing in the UK later this month. Check them out below!
MOTHXR -Touch - ALT. Choice

good French review (google translate)
Quote:
Penn Badgley, known for his role in Gossip Girl, has certainly had to work effortlessly with his Mothxr group not to be placed in the category "singer for babes." One would ignore this audiovisual prank, but it was the highlight because over listening to his first album Centerfold, the quartet from Brooklyn happen gradually to erase the past. First with the suave "Stranger" gentle rhythm all the way through a dark tablecloth uncertain where echoes are lost. But the real surprise lies in Centerfold "Underground", which begins with a bass line which could have been breaking out a rock song. Finally, it brings a pop ballad addictive, both for its power than the innocence of words. Emphasize the beauty of "Victim" and his saxophone that offers him many thanks. Not an album for chicks then, but a disk that soothes and heralds a promising musical future for our four New Yorkers.
http://www.tsugi.fr/chroniques/2016/...nterfold-14941

btw out of curiosity I checked the # of listens on MOmmy vevo & yayy 'Underground' leads with 800+

Last edited by science girlfriend; 03-04-2016 at 01:23 AM
science girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Elite Fan

dp
Old 03-04-2016, 02:57 AM
Loyal Fan

for Simon stans
chloe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thank you so much for the links and the information