+

Amazon

iTunes

V i d e o s

T o u r dates & live shows

w/Miami Horror

w/the Neighbourhood

w/POLIÇA

March 27/ New Jersey (CUBRat Presents: MOTHXR // Prinze George)

April 12, NY (CELEBRITY BENEFIT FOR THE EAST VILLAGE FIRE VICTIMS)

April 25, Trinity College

Aug 21 - NY (w/Reputante)

Sep 7 - Monterrey City fest, Mexico

Euro tour 2014

UK

X

France
20 Sep - Paris, Truskel Microclub

Sep 26 - NY (w/Rathborne & more)

Oct 22 - NY (w/ Carousel, Heavenly Beat, Nicholas Nicolas and Argonau)

Live videos

They're called Mothxr

Easy
Stranger
Centerfold
Fight the feeling
Fight the feeling
MOTHXR in NYC (Bowery Ballroom) 2015 ('Fight the feeling')
Easy (full)
Stranger (full)
Underground
Black girl
Stranger
Black girl
Centerold
Victim
Victim
Victim
Victim
Centerfold
Stranger
Stranger
Centerfold
Stranger

Mother in Portland ('Black girl') (by Jimmy)
Mother in Sacramento ('I can see')
a Must see vid of 'bro'ing' between Mother & Streets of Laredo!
Vine tag #1
Vine tag #2
Black girl
Victim
Black girl
I can see
Centerfold
Easy
Centerfold
Underground
Centerfold
Victim
Easy
Stranger
Stranger
Victim
Easy
Centerfold
Easy
Wild ride
Centerfold
Victim
Easy
Easy
Black girl
Easy
Stranger
Stranger
Black girl
Centerfold
Centerfold
Victim
Victim
Centerfold
Black girl
Fight the feeling
Fight the feeling
Victim
Victim
Black girl
Easy
Easy
Easy
Black girl
Wild ride
Fight the feeling
Underground
Easy
Jeff Buckley reincarnated
O H M O T H E R//// I met @pennbadgley’s mom.... - KimberlyMarie
Mother, Baby’s All Right | Crushing Vinyl
Mother - Victim (Live At The Mercury Lounge) - YouTube
Mother - Easy (Live at the Mercury Lounge)
Mother - Easy - Montreal
M O T H E R -- "EASY" -- LIVE -- @ il motore, montreal -- june 07 2014 (fan edited)
M O T H E R - Easy (Live) [Il Motore Montreal June 7, 2014] - YouTube
M o t h e r - Easy (Live in Sacramento) - YouTube
M o t h e r - Easy (Live in Sacramento) - YouTube
M o t h e r - Victim (Live in Sacramento)
"Back girl" Live in Sacramento
"Back girl" Live in Sacramento
M o t h e r - Centerfold (Live in Sacramento) - YouTube
"Back girl" Live in Monterrey - Sep 7, 2014 -
Victim (Live in Monterrey)
"Stranger" Live in Monterrey
"Stranger" Live in Monterrey
"Easy" UK
"Wild ride" UK

I c o n s

by ds44

R e v i e w s

Not much we can say about Mother. Mother is a new band from Brooklyn and Mother is good to us. Kind of 80s Genesis feeling with fresh guitar licks around foggy synths. Great pop! Very honest in our ears. Listen to Easy.
Source

…While those of us hungry for narrative morsels might bristle at the notion of the unknowable, it’s easy to forgive when the group cites influences as diverse as D’Angelo, Arthur Russell, Larry Levan, and Goblin and deliver a song as good as the tastefully infectious debut ”Easy.” A seamless intersection of modern blues and synth rock, “Easy” is the sort of song that burrows its way into your brain and hides, only to reappear hours later as you hum a fragment, scarcely remembering what it is you’re humming before running back to your computer to piece the puzzle together. – Pigeons & Planes
Source

Sometimes, the hardest part of being in a new band is building a hype for yourself. That's a problem that Brooklyn based Mother have completely circumnavigated. Going from absolute newcomers to blowing up on soundcloud in the space of a few days isn't unheard of, but it's damn impressive.

It's not hard to see why either with their new track 'Easy'. Its funk guitar riffs blended with 80's electro synth and a weeping guitar solo Meatloaf would be proud of is a bizarre mix but one that pays off beautifully. There's not much to go on as to who exactly is behind the band, but indications are that it's a collaboration between Simon Oscroft of NO and Midnight Youth (feel free to not quote me on that.) Mark our words here, Mother are going places, and 'Easy' is where it all going to start.

Stereofox - enjoy music

Receiving the co-sign/premiere treatment from Neon Gold today is the brand-new Brooklyn-based pop act, M o t h e r, who makes a definitive statement with their debut release, “Easy”. With a cool, calm, and effortlessly stylish offering like this one, M o t h e r will resemble that cool kid who moved into your town, stole your girlfriend, and fit in instantly. Minus these dudes stealing your GF, you’re going to have no problem with M o t h e r being another group to move into your musical space.
M o t h e r – “Easy” | Hillydilly

Slick, R&B infused pop from LA outfit M o t h e r is proving pretty hot right now. With a Neon Gold show lined up for Friday with Scavenger Hunt and Magic Man, you can bet that industry types will be out in force, and judging from the strength of this track, quite rightly so. Easy is a funky, vaguely 80′s feeling ‘jam’, sensual and highly addictive. Check it out below, and if you live in LA, check them out at The Echo.
New: M o t h e r - Easy | Crack In The Road

When you get yourself into the web looking up for fresh beats it’s very easy to realize when you’ve found something big. Fortunately, today’s trip took me to one of those.
“Easy” is the premiere tune of Neon Gold Records’ latest signing: Mother -stylized as M o t h e r-, band from which we only know that they’re a Brooklyn-based act and this track, which I would describe as tough, funky and sexual.

This record is raised by harsh percussion elements, a pure bassline and funky guitar riffs -which vary beside the ambience created by the lustful vocals and the distended keys n’ synths- reaching sophistication from the basics, with ease.

We don’t know much of this fellows, but we do know that what flows from their debut jam is enough to asseverate that they have an unique style and an enormous potential, easily.

M o t h e r - Easy : Music | The Vibe Guide

Mother are a new band, and "Easy" is their first single, and it's a remarkably assured outing. In part that's because this isn't the band members performing this taut and sultry, lockstep R&B groove's first rodeo. And, in part, that's because the vocals have a sort of poise about them, too. I've heard other tracks from Mother's debut release, which feels, at times, like it's channeling the simmering R&B that Jeff Buckley was honing in on with Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk's "Everybody Here Wants You." And all of the aforementioned takes on added dimension when you learn the singer for Mother is Penn Badgley, a man best known for his role in the culture-shifting drama Gossip Girl, and somewhat lesser known for playing Jeff himself in the biopic Greetings From Tim Buckley. Badgley can sing, emphasis appropriate, as that film casting would suggest/require. And a little research into Penn reveals a long history of musical training, which is both relevant and evident, here, though even moreso in the live setting. I went to Mother's debut show, on Friday night, at The Echo in Los Angeles. The group worked remarkably well in that space, which makes sense: The Echo is the sort of room where ambitious indie bands cut their teeth and woo the Silverlake set, particularly when they come from Brooklyn, as Mother does. And the undeniable sense of glamour their singer gives them made them a good fit for the room, too. But on an aesthetic level, the crew's roots and approach read sincerely, and play that way, too. That's due in part to the presence and production of Jimmy Giannapoulos, a producer/multi-instrumentalist whose various projects I've followed for years, and is clearly hitting a stride here (and with his other ascendant projects worth keeping track of like Lolawolf and Reputante, and more). Meet Mother, via "Easy." And here's 15 seconds of them live, laying into a beautifully sung, majestic lope, which could aid your introduction.
REVOLT | Amrit Singh's Music Report: Mother, The Horrors & Kevin Drew

When news broke that Gossip Girl’s Penn Badgley would portray Jeff Buckley in the biopic Greetings From Tim Buckley, there were some objections from James Franco stans who thought Franco was born to play the role. But Badgley held his own as Buckley thanks in part to a set of formidable pipes. And if the movie wasn’t enough to prove that Badgley’s got a voice on him, here’s a song from his band Mother — also featuring Simon Oscroft (No), Jimmy Giannopoulos (Lolawolf, Reputante) and Darren Will (Rathborne) — that will make you a believer. “Victim” is a brooding synth-pop track heavy on sax and ominously moody tones that plays like a stuttering M83 remix of Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight.” Badgley’s vocals here are mostly understated and calm, but he carries himself with an understated (ahem) grace on the mic while his bandmates conjure a woozy metropolitan clatter. Listen below.
Source

When news broke that Gossip Girl’s Penn Badgley would portray Jeff Buckley in the biopic Greetings From Tim Buckley, there were some objections from James Franco stans who thought Franco was born to play the role. But Badgley held his own as Buckley thanks in part to a set of formidable pipes. And if the movie wasn’t enough to prove that Badgley’s got a voice on him, here’s a song from his band Mother — also featuring Simon Oscroft (No), Jimmy Giannopoulos (Lolawolf, Reputante) and Darren Will (Rathborne) — that will make you a believer. “Victim” is a brooding synth-pop track heavy on sax and ominously moody tones that plays like a stuttering M83 remix of Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight.” Badgley’s vocals here are mostly understated and calm, but he carries himself with an understated (ahem) grace on the mic while his bandmates conjure a woozy metropolitan clatter. Listen below.
WUVYUUU

Somewhat recently the Neon Gold tastemakers premiered Mother‘s debut single, “Easy”, and, as has become more and more increasingly common, provided very little information on the dark and brooding new group who seem to blend R&B and dark electronics in a way that’s both trendy and original.

It has since been revealed that Mother is a four-piece out of New York City, fronted by none other than Penn Badgley – yes, Dan Humphrey from Gossip Girl. But unlike most actors-turned-musicians (sorry Pizza Underground), Humphrey and his band – also consisting of members of Lolawolf, NO, and Raphborne – are not just a gimmick, and seem to possess the ability to make completely fresh, original music. As Steregum so-perfectly points out, “Victim” sounds something like what would happen if M83 remixed Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight”, complete with massive percussions, dark vocals, and a “Midnight City” saxophone line that is somehow not at all cheesy.

You can catch the four-piece make their New York debut this Saturday at Pianos, and be sure to keep your eyes out for new music, as we’ve heard that the new band has already recorded an albums-worth of material and will release an EP in the near future.

Mother Shares Brooding Second Single “Victim” | Unrecorded

Striking hot out of the gate under a veil of mystery with their sleekly uplifting debut “Easy,” Brooklyn’s Mother established a cinematic soundscape of concrete pop and 90s rock that melded together in seamless fashion through a stream of unadulterated percussive funk that washed over you with the crisp ease and power of their New York hometown. But now the mask of mystery has been unveiled to reveal band members Simon Oscroft (No), Jimmy Giannopoulos (Lolawolf, Reputante), Darren Will (Rathborne) with lead vocals by Penn Badgely of Gossip Girl - and more imprtantly John Tucker Must Die because I love that movie – fame.

“Victim” is a much darker offering than the band’s debut predecessor. Wandering up a spiraling staircase of wary synths and sparse vocals, phantom percussion permeates brooding lyrics worthy of a lonely boy. But one listen to the song – and that piercing sax solo that all M83 fans will revel in - will leave it lingering on the senses of anyone that listens. So in this case, believe the gossip because “Victim” is all the agonizing sulking of Dan Humphrey wrapped in the most bone-chilling aural atmosphere to create a blanket of comfort for the downtrodden and forlorn to wrap themselves in. Mostly, “Victim” has me feeling some kind of way of what Mother can do.

Source

I n t e r v i e w s & articles
F u t x r e titles

• Trippy electro Pink Floyd sexy style
  • They are Mxthxr, easy to Google & even easier to listen to
  • 'Life was made for nights like this' - the lovely fans
  • Ryan Gosling approves
  • Shake your pom pom to the sound of Mothxr

P r e v i o u s threads
{1} {2} {3} {4} {5} {6} {7}

Last edited by science girlfriend; 02-12-2016 at 11:15 AM
Old 09-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Extreme Fan

TFTNT!

that OP

german interview:
https://thepickde.wordpress.com/2015...-penn-badgley/

Last edited by rainforest; 09-17-2015 at 06:54 PM
Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Tftnt and thanks for the interview!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:54 AM
Elite Fan

Old 09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

Thanks for opening and the pics
Old 09-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Extreme Fan

MOTHXR (w/ Penn Badgley From Gossip Girl) Rocks The Wayfarer in Costa Mesa - Locale Magazine
Old 09-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

so much stuff to fawn over
Old 09-20-2015, 03:53 AM
Loyal Fan

Old 09-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

Love the second one
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Extreme Fan

thanks chloe!

x
Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the pics Miranda!

Old 09-21-2015, 12:55 AM
Elite Fan

seems like very few ppl there
Old 09-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

I don't think it was meant to be a big concert
Old 09-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Extreme Fan

oh i didnt notice actually probably bc people were there to see the big performers.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Loyal Fan

Simon interview
New York based Kiwi Simon Oscroft talks us through his new band, MOTHXR - Remix Magazine

snipped:
Quote:
What impact does it have on the band to have former Gossip Girl star Penn Badgely as lead front man?

Yeah, my friend Penn is also an actor. The positive impact is that we can have our music heard by a few more people through Penn’s social media. The tougher part is that on first impression, there is a stricter criteria from listeners who know Penn as an actor only. However, once his talent for singing becomes obvious it’s all peaches and roses. He played and sung live whilst playing Jeff Buckley in a bio-pic film two years ago which everyone should check out.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread