Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LulaRose (View Post)
I'm not quite sure what just happened, but I do think Michelle and Betty have chemistry...well as much chemistry as someone can muster with-you know what, I'm gonna stop there.
lmao ia, surprisingly
Quote:
This was the first one that I've watched since Cadie's
if the mood strikes you, you should definitely give stan's a go. there's plenty of michelle and cadie and it's directed by the same fabulous individual who directed cadie and michelle's episodes. it's really good. my favorites so far have been these three.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Master Fan

My favorite episode by far. It was really good (even better if I pretend Betty didn't exist in it). The music was finally good too.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Supreme Fan

fantastic ep, omg. michelle is hbic with good reason, etc.

Quote:
even better if I pretend Betty didn't exist in it
you mean if you pretended she was cadie? lol
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Absolute Fan

Rachel was flawless, and the rest of the cast were okay.

I think it's safe to say that Tony is the most pathetic character right now, I assume this is his rock bottom for the series and the he'll magically become a nice guy before the credits role for the finale. Whatever, not invested.

I like the first club scene; it felt a little more Skinsy with the music and the club atmosphere.

Anyway, the Betty and Michelle scene at the end isn't that surprising, if you think about it. Well, maybe the running away part, but it makes sense that she would hang out with Betty, they were both misled and betrayed (Michelle moreso than Betty albeit). I highly doubt they'll actually get together, but it would be nice to see some sort of strong friendship on this show, so if they go that route I'll be happy.

Sidenote: I'm probably going to get hate for this, but I really don't give a **** Now, I'm not a Tea/Betty shipper (I was up until the 3rd/4th scene in Tea's ep, but that's it), and I'm in no way a Betty stan, but what is with all of the hate? I get that fandom as a collective whole loves a good scapegoat, but it's kind of ridiculous. It's like you have to jump on the fandom bandwagon and validate your place in fandom by bashing (whatever big name fans decide they don't like), is it a rophy thing? I just don't get it...but people seem to be this way with Freffy (shippers aside obsly), so I guess it's a similar thing idk.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I'm in no way a Betty stan, but what is with all of the hate?
tbh, i never liked her ever since the beginning. she's just a really flat character imo, and blaine isn't doing betty any favors because she's not a very emotive, again my opinion. everything betty does and says is boring to me, but i guess i can see the appeal.

i don't understand the betty/michelle scene at all. okay, i get it that they both may be heartbroken because of the tony/tea thing, but it made no sense to me that they would ~hang out. idk, just my opinion.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Dedicated Fan

What could have been if not for the lazy egomaniacal hangups of BE. A female-centric episode, this one, despite some pedestrian dialogue and contrivances (the old evidence falls out of the bag stunt), shows a screenwriter attempting to move beyond the traps laid out by a creatively stunted show runner. So if BE leaves traps, the screenwriter edges their way around them finding moments that are real culminating in a final moment that rings true in terms of female bonding and despair at betrayal.

The episode hinges on Rachel Thevenard and, as with Britne Oldford, she meets the challenge. By now it is evident that the women were cast with a more thoughtful eye while the men seemed to have been cast for...maybe being likeable in auditions. If the men, for the most part, are horrible actors, the women aren't. There is talent there and even the least of the bunch, the inconsistent Sofia Black D'Elia, has enough charisma to be watchable. The script may offer moments of anguish but it is the underused Thevenard who fleshes the scenes out. The only parts she can't make feel all that real are not her fault. When it comes to Tony, one can never buy that Michelle or for that matter anyone thinking this creepy, monotoned smirk is desired. Newman is not so bad this time because the camera stays focused primarily on Thevenard and because Newman is allowed to do the one bit of acting he is capable of - glaring as if he is pissed. Opposite the worst actor on television in recent memory, Thevenard at least gives it her all.

She is able to raise the very mannered Flaherty's game and her scenes opposite D'Elia and Crecensia-Mills seem to also to inspire a bit more than we are used to. Luckily we are given little of Carere (who along with Newman is the weakest acting spot on the show) and Mustafa. This is Thevenard's show and it raises questions about BE's logic. With the talent of Thevenard and Oldford why did he not take advantage of these two. Just as he negated the character of Tea turning her into yet another display of an odd hangup he has about lesbians, he has undermined the two best performances on the show to...give Tony and Stanley and Chris time. Insanity is what that is.

The surprise here though is Betty (a sublime piece of acting). Given all of two minutes of speaking time in episodes 3 to 6, she has been stuck being the pinata for a few fans and not much else. Kind of an odd reaction and hardly deserved for someone barely on screen. Yet here her character makes thorough sense - she is the idealist, a person of romantic notions and hopes. Instead of wanting pot in episode 6 she wants to roast marshmallows. She is out and putting her emotions on the line. Her and Michelle trust and believe and it can be seen as naivete but it is not. It is faith. And is there anything worse than faith being ruptured. Everyone else is cynical. Everyone else expects Michelle to know that Tony is a slug. Michelle does not want to be cynical. She does not want to be her Mom, who sees relationships with men as a game. Michelle believes in love. So does Betty who broke up with her boyfriend and outed herself in front of schoolmates on the chance that Tea would reciprocate her feelings. In the end Michelle and Betty, the wounded romantics, hold hands and comfort each other because they alone fully understand each other. That moment makes more sense than anything else shown in the series. It is a sign of what could have been if the show had not been undermined by BE's supposedly original vision.
Quote:
Sidenote: I'm probably going to get hate for this, but I really don't give a **** Now, I'm not a Tea/Betty shipper (I was up until the 3rd/4th scene in Tea's ep, but that's it), and I'm in no way a Betty stan, but what is with all of the hate? I get that fandom as a collective whole loves a good scapegoat, but it's kind of ridiculous.
Most of the criticisms of Betty I have seen on here come from fanatical TT shippers. I hardly expect them to judge based on what is shown. Isn't that part of how shipping works (I know that is why I abhor shipping - it often becomes fantasy that is not related to what is shown). As for Betty, it is kind of like making the 12th person who rarely comes off the bench the scapegoat when the basketball team is losing games. Makes little sense to me. Anyways I always understood where they were coming from with Betty (even saying that she is the soothing, calm presence) and I don't ship. So I have no problem with her at all. In fact, that last scene with Michelle is my favorite of the series.

Last edited by Inesal; 02-28-2011 at 09:50 PM
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Betty just falls flat. I mean do I have to bring up the marshmallows again?
Plus the "I put my truth on you." pretty much squashed any warm fuzzy feelings I could have had for her.

So I guess it IS kinda like Freffy.

However, I have my fingers crossed for a new girl for Tea in S2.

Jarly|10/Rose|Harmony|Wrenna|Bade|ArMor
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Betty just falls flat. I mean do I have to bring up the marshmallows again?
Plus the "I put my truth on you." pretty much squashed any warm fuzzy feelings I could have had for her.
lol the marshmallows line was a bit wtf, but so is the dialogue from a lot of other characters. It's like you want me to bring up, "I can match you...but I matched you...I matched you. I matched you good." That is just all around horrible writing, on both parts. This is not me trying to start a shipper war, btw, couldn't care less, it's just the line I think of when I think of horrendous dialogue, right behind the good old, "Now I've told you..."

Quote:
i don't understand the betty/michelle scene at all. okay, i get it that they both may be heartbroken because of the tony/tea thing, but it made no sense to me that they would ~hang out. idk, just my opinion.
Well, Betty is the only character who hasn't let Michelle down. Chelle's mom wasn't there for her and her friends were basically siding with Tony or expecting her to get over his indiscretions. So, she turned to Stanley and then she turned to Betty.

Also, I'm sure the writers have a ~clever grand plan to have Tea get jealous when she sees M/B hanging out and then Tony will realize that he wants Michelle now that she doesn't want him.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoemster (View Post)
tbh, i never liked her ever since the beginning. she's just a really flat character imo, and blaine isn't doing betty any favors because she's not a very emotive, again my opinion. everything betty does and says is boring to me, but i guess i can see the appeal.

Same here.

The way Betty behaved in this episode was ridiculous, imo. I had to laugh when she got all judgmental on Tony's ass in the cafeteria scene. Like, bitch, are you serious? You became part of this group five minutes ago. You don't know Tony and you're not even part of this mess so sit your ass down. I also don't think she was betrayed at all. Tea didn't own her ****. They weren't in a relationship when she slept with Tony. If she's upset because she found out the girl she's falling for is a dick, that is one thing. But betrayed? No, I don't think she was. Whatever Tea did in the meantime is none of her business.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
lol the marshmallows line was a bit wtf, but so is the dialogue from a lot of other characters.
I think what I see, especially with sites that ship more than watching what is actually occurring on the show, is a tendency to just dismiss dialogue instead of pondering what it means. I don't see that line as WTF at all. Everyone else is talking drugs and getting stoned. Betty, newly out, comes over to the girl she is attracted to and in that moment feels a oneness with nature, with her surroundings. Here she is outside, camping, by Tea, and she just wants to share that moment. She does not want to escape it but embrace it. She is into the moment.

Quote:
It makes complete sense. Both Betty and Michelle are similar in that they are romantics. They believe in the concept of someone being special and wonderful and a true love. They have a faith in that romanticism. Betty's faith is strong enough she breaks up with her boyfriend, outs herself, and, when confronted with Tea having sex with Tony, is completely stunned - she cannot believe it. Michelle truly believed Tony had never been with anyone else. She believed Tony was her true love and was utterly loyal to him in every regard. These two individuals completely put their fates in someone else because they had faith in that person and a belief that was shared was as true to the other person as it was to them. The beginning shows these two are on the same plane as they go off to joyously dance with each other (a not so subtle hint that these two share similarities in terms of their spirit). So being romantics they, unlike a cynical person, are going to be more broken. Only they can fully grasp the pain that the other one is in. They recognize this.

Quote:
The way Betty behaved in this episode was ridiculous, imo. I had to laugh when she got all judgmental on Tony's ass in the cafeteria scene. Like, bitch, are you serious? You became part of this group five minutes ago. You don't know Tony and you're not even part of this mess so sit your ass down. I also don't think she was betrayed at all. Tea didn't own her ****. They weren't in a relationship when she slept with Tony. If she's upset because she found out the girl she's falling for is a dick, that is one thing. But betrayed? No, I don't think she was. Whatever Tea did in the meantime is none of her business.
You are clearly a heavy TT shipper. In watching a show each character has their reasons. Betty does not know when Tea slept with Tony and Betty was also being told by Tea that Tea was afraid of relationships. Betty saw a woman hurt by a guy screwing around on a woman and she interjected. I would have to in the same spot. To see someone treat another human being like a piece of **** and not say anything is the way some people roll. Again I think your shipping of TT may be interfering with a reasoned look at what occurred. Feel free to be angry about this but it is a shame when shipping causes such one sided analysis of scenes and characters.

Last edited by Inesal; 02-28-2011 at 10:11 PM
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
I think what I see, especially with sites that ship more than watching what is actually occurring on the show, is a tendency to just dismiss dialogue instead of pondering what it means. I don't see that line as WTF at all. Everyone else is talking drugs and getting stoned. Betty, newly out, comes over to the girl she is attracted to and in that moment feels a oneness with nature, with her surroundings. Here she is outside, camping, by Tea, and she just wants to share that moment. She does not want to escape it but embrace it.

It makes complete sense. Both Betty and Michelle are similar in that they are romantics. They believe in the concept of someone being special and wonderful and a true love. They have a faith in that romanticism. Betty's faith is strong enough she breaks up with her boyfriend, outs herself, and, when confronted with Tea having sex with Tony, is completely stunned - she cannot believe it. Michelle truly believed Tony had never been with anyone else. She believed Tony was her true love and was utterly loyal to him in every regard. These two individuals completely put their fates in someone else because they had faith in that person and a belief that was shared was as true to the other person as it was to them. The beginning shows these two are on the same plane as they go off to joyously dance with each other (a not so subtle hint that these two share similarities in terms of their spirit). So being romantics they, unlike a cynical person, are going to be more broken. Only they can fully grasp the pain that the other one is in. They recognize this.

Wow,to all of that. I'm both a hardened cynic and a hopeless romantic so imagine that chaos. First time ever on this site,on any site in a looooooooooooooooong time someone's comments actually moved me,as in went straight to my heart.

Dakota Blue Richards. MyBliss Interview.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

the webisode this week is cracking my **** up. cadie at the end is just love
Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Master Fan

This was the best episode of Skins US and it was prob as good as 1X07 was for the Uk series.. (it's been always one of my fav episodes from G1) it's going to be so hard for them to top this.. hopefully next episode will be at least half as good.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Extreme Fan

I haven't seen the ep yet, but did someone say Betty/Michelle? **** yeah!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSAFDMD (View Post)
This was the best episode of Skins US and it was prob as good as 1X07 was for the Uk series.. (it's been always one of my fav episodes from G1) it's going to be so hard for them to top this.. hopefully next episode will be at least half as good.
Completely agreed.