Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Total Fan

Skins UK 5x01 [Franky] Episode Discussion #2

5X01: FRANKY

Writer: Sean Buckley
Director: Amanda Boyle

EPISODE DESCRIPTION:
Franky starts at Roundview and is determined not to be a loner and things seem to be going well until she accidentally challenges Mini's position as queen bee and when she doesn't conform to Mini's expectations, she's spat out. Franky then meets Matty who understands and empowers her giving her the strength to stand up to Mini. Grace admires Franky, and a new gang is formed with Alo, Rich and Grace. Franky has finally found friends, but in doing so has started a war with Mini.

Whether we see each other next week, next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time.

Last edited by lisztomania; 03-03-2011 at 02:37 PM
Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Total Fan

As we move on to this new thread, I suggest everyone to feel free to express yourselves and state your thoughts. Keep in mind though that there are rules that need to be followed. If you are unfamiliar with them please visit the Rules thread's first page.

Franky says relax everyone.

Whether we see each other next week, next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
it was partly that i was so attached to gen 1 - and they had a hyper-intelligent character, tony, who i really liked.

and then...it felt like a motley crew of tony's younger sisters mates came along and usurped his life (liked effy but hated pandora who was such a caricature of a character and rather stupid as well). didn't help that i took an instant dislike to one of the main characters of gen 2 - cook - that only got worse as the episode reached its memorable end!
Eh, fair enough.

Quote:
I love 301 too. At the end of the day it will be more re-watchable for me than 501 tbh. But it's totally possible to love both. lol

I think 501 was a very good episode. I expect a lot better from the season, at least more creativity in terms of story, because there was nothing exactly new about this episode, but it was fun, and it had good drama. Plus, it makes the characters seem interesting and makes me excited for the rest of the season.
This is how I feel exactly. It wasn't groundbreaking by any means, but it was still entertaining. And I really like 301 because it was also fun! IMHO we got better introductions to the characters, I thought, given that it was an ~Everyone episode and everyone pretty much got a decent amount of screentime (whereas Liv and Nick and Matty got basically none in 501). But they aren't really comparable, because 301 is, like I said, an Everyone episode and 501 is just 'Franky.'
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Now, this is just speculation and probably not very likely, but I just thought - the cast etc. have said that Nick's in love with someone else (not Mini) and I just assumed that would be Liv. I was thinking Nick/Liv could end up the real deal. But then some people have pointed out that Liv's sleeping with Nick seems like it probably doesn't have anything to do with her having feelings for him, and everything to do with her relationship with Mini. Of course, if this is the case, it could just be that Nick will suffer from unrequited love.

However, I did also notice his reactions to Franky - the kind of positive look of amusement when she drove into the bikes, the genuine (at least, it looked genuine) smile when she walked into the common room in her more girly outfit. And I wondered if it could actually be Franky he has feelings for, and he slept with Liv purely for sexual reasons. I could also kind of see the writers doing that to create even more tension between Franky and Mini. It could work or it could be ****ing awful, it depends how it's written.

For the record, I don't actually think this will happen or that this will be the case, especially considering Matty/Franky and all the other ships that seem to be going on, but it is a possibility.

I feel like we know a lot and it's leading us to assume we know everything that's going to happen this series (not accusing anyone, I sometime accidentally think I pretty much know it all) but I def. think Skins will pull out some surprises, as it usually does. And there are so many possible ships around that it's hard to know what will happen.
Like I said, I don't believe Liv harbours romantic feelings for Nick. The spoiler emphasized the importance of the growing tension between Mini and her, and that Liv will commit "the worst thing a girl can do to the other" because of it. There wasn't any remark that she is also in love with her bff's boyfriend, and judging from her behavior there wasn't any sign of jealousy. Given her promiscuity, she doesn't have any problem with sleeping with men she doesn't love. Obviously Nick can still love her but the possibility of a weird, uncommon F/N ship is more endearing to me Also, popularity-wise speaking, he could lost a lot more by dating Franky than Liv who could easily replace Mini as the queen bee: rich, good-looking, popular and a party animal too.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Was I the only one who got very curious about Franky's friend Dean who "went young offenders"? I've decided to think he beat up the people who bullied her so badly when her dads didn't call the cops.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Franky says relax everyone
awesome

I loved 3x01 and it flowed better for me than 5x01, much as I liked this episode
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Elite Fan

I'm confused Why is Jal back in high school?

Ok, just finished. This was a mixed bag episode for me. I will say, they did a good job of "cyber bullying" which is such a hot-button issue, mostly in the States, so it was nice to see that Frankie's secret shame was being cyber bullied and that made her the new girl. I thought the introduction of her pointing the gun at that guy, was awkward but it worked. I'm intrigued to see how they handle that. Although, way too convenient for him to just stroll along while she was out in the middle of nowhere doing that. As for the "mean girls" I don't know, I wasn't in love what that, but I'd imagine they are going to flesh out the blonde girl, I'd assume she has this awful secret burden or issue that will make us relate to her, somehow. So overall, I didn't love it, but I'm interested enough to continue on. I did like that Frankie's parents were gay, I thought that was a nice touch to her character's home life.

kenny | credit

Last edited by smoothaise; 01-28-2011 at 11:05 PM
Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Although I like 3x01, there are areas it's a bit rocky IMO (cringeworthy fart jokes anyone?). Whereas this episode flowed so perfectly, for me at least. While 3x01 is more rewatchable because it's so silly and lighthearted, I feel that 5x01 is overall a much better episode.

Last edited by raybanchica; 01-29-2011 at 07:08 AM
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I feel that 4x01 is overall a much better episode.
401 was just too depressive, I didn't smile even once in this ep, too heavy, like the entire season. It was quite boring too IMO.

301 was really good, what basically made me fall for Skins completely.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Addicted Fan

My bad, I meant 5x01, not 4x01. I agree 4x01 is depressing and... s h * t.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybanchica (View Post)
My bad, I meant 5x01, not 4x01. I agree 4x01 is depressing and... s h * t.
Oh OK then I agree
Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleish (View Post)
Like I said, I don't believe Liv harbours romantic feelings for Nick. The spoiler emphasized the importance of the growing tension between Mini and her, and that Liv will commit "the worst thing a girl can do to the other" because of it. There wasn't any remark that she is also in love with her bff's boyfriend, and judging from her behavior there wasn't any sign of jealousy. Given her promiscuity, she doesn't have any problem with sleeping with men she doesn't love. Obviously Nick can still love her but the possibility of a weird, uncommon F/N ship is more endearing to me Also, popularity-wise speaking, he could lost a lot more by dating Franky than Liv who could easily replace Mini as the queen bee: rich, good-looking, popular and a party animal too.
rn, for me anyway, i think every ship is possible. the only established ship i believe is rich/grace.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Addicted Fan

i believe every ship is possible too. and that makes things soso exciting.

i don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but the cinematography/camera work in this episode was flawless. looking back on series 4, you can see it developing and improving throughout. and now it's reached a point of pure excellence.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Master Fan

Lol, I don't even know what to think about some of the comments on E4

I'm not really please with the first new episode, i mean bullying? Come on. This is skins. It needs, sex, drugs smoking more alcohol! Pregnancy's STI's and the lot. They also need to get rid of Dakoto. I'm sorry, but she should stay making movies.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebrave (View Post)

Come on. This is skins. It needs, sex, drugs smoking more alcohol! Pregnancy's STI's and the lot.