Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is it even better than in pictures?

Ohh, sorry, I get it all wrong, I thought you were talking about the music. Why it is ticking backwards, I wonder...
Old 06-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Loyal Fan

The symbolism of the backward-ticking clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacrown (View Post)
Why it is ticking backwards, I wonder...
An opinion about that has been offered ... in the last sentence of an essay to which I've posted a link on this board before.

It's about recovering something lost, clearly. It may be about recovering some aspect of youth, for adult viewers. Or it may be about recovering some aspect of traditional culture. Like the conviction that things - like the bus that hits Tony - need not be physical and material to be real, hence that emotions can be real, that love can be more than sex - what Tony doubts.

I suspect the backward-ticking clock's about both those things. SKINS (I keep saying) is a deeply traditional show, serious cultural criticism. In Gens 1 and 2, it's a dramatic argument that materialistic determinism is deadly - and we can either redeem ourselves from it (like Tony) or fail to do so (like Effy). Not for nothing is Tony seen reading Nietzsche and Sartre in the first few episodes.