Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybanchica (View Post)
i don't think i've ever seen so much wasted potential in a show.
Why did BE come back? JB did a wonderful job with s5, he should have continued
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by diu12 (View Post)
Why did BE come back? JB did a wonderful job with s5, he should have continued
BE's ego.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Total Fan

Im sure JB had plans for these characters, one which didn't involve resets to their pre s5 selves, a total character change or just a complete disappearence/death.

There was also probably some continuity

Never thought I'd want him back tbh
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Loyal Fan

I want to ask you guys a question, what is wrong with Skins atm? I highly enjoyed every episode and im starting to feel as if im watching skins the wrong way because everyone has something new to complain about each episode. Every episode is getting mass negative reception. Am i not being critical enough? I feel im not doing something right. This is one of the very few skins forums that is actually active so i come here to connect with other skins fans( since i cant go anywhere else) because i just want to talk about skins but i truly hate the negativity towards it. It feels as if people hate the episodes if it isnt what they want it to be. Dont get me wrong, i respect all of you guys opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LNJ- (View Post)

This is SO far from the S6 I imagined, or anyone imagined based on S5.
Speak for yourself man.

Last edited by Dark-Zero; 02-28-2012 at 04:11 PM
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Zero (View Post)
Speak for yourself man.
Yeah that was a generalization, but I mean I don't think anyone could have foreseen everything that's happened. If anyone can logically explain how all the events of this season could have been assumed from the former one, I'll be very impressed.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Yeah that was a generalization, but I mean I don't think anyone could have foreseen everything that's happened. If anyone can logically explain how all the events of this season could have been assumed from the former one, I'll be very impressed.
I understand what you are saying but think about, this is Skins. Skins wouldnt be as good if it was very predictable or if people were able to easily predict what was going to happen. Skins wouldnt be very unique then
Old 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I want to ask you guys a question, what is wrong with Skins atm? I highly enjoyed every episode and im starting to feel as if im watching skins the wrong way because everyone has something new to complain about each episode. Every episode is getting mass negative reception. Am i not being critical enough? I feel im not doing something right. This is one of the very few skins forums that is actually active so i come here to connect with other skins fans( since i cant go anywhere else) because i just want to talk about skins but i truly hate the negativity towards it. It feels as if people hate the episodes if it isnt what they want it to be. Dont get me wrong, i respect all of you guys opinions.
Same here, I don't get it. I nearly like everything so far, even Franky's episode, which got a lot of negative critique. I guess it's because of several dropped storylines, that doesn't matter to me because I didn't like them anyhow, but some people do care about these storylines.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

A storyline is not a character. For example take Game of Thrones. If people complain if season 2 opens with Prince Joffrey being loveable and singing tender songs of peace and love on a harp to his uncle Tyrion, it is not a case of people complaing because of a storyline being dropped. It is people complaining because a character has been retconed. If people complain if season 2 opens with Arya deciding that she does not want to escape but would rather don flowery dresses and marry Prince Joffrey, it is not a case of people complaining because of a storyline being dropped. It is people complaining because a character has been retconed.

When people such as LNJ have criticized the show, they are giving very thoughtful and analytical reasons why. The primary thing that bothers them is the characters, in many cases, being shown this season are different characters from last season. Unpredictable storylines are great but they should never ever be made at the expense of destroying characterization continuity.

Also I would say this season is as predictable as can be. Once episode 1 aired and it was clear such a misogynistic vibe would be present (one that did not exist last year), it was pretty easy to get a feel for what is coming. Just think what things show women in a bad light. Be Brave said it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebrave (View Post)
What I got from this episode:

If a woman says she can't be with you, you just keep pushing and pushing until she gives in.

Give a woman emotional abuse for not responding to your feelings and she'll come back to you.

Tell a woman she's the most beautiful person you've ever seen and she'll have sex with you.
The episode was so demeaning to women but Skins this year has operated with a fierce misogyny that is incredible. I cannot recall in recent memory a show that has shown such overwhelming hatred of women.

If people like it because the completely inauthentic and inane (considering season 5) Malo love story fulfilled their want, that is fine. However don't expect people who take characterization or the portrayals of women seriously to jump up and down for joy for this mess of a season.

I also don't mean to speak for persons such as LNJ, HP-Skins, raybanchica, and be brave but if the show had depicted Mini as having a romantic interest in Alo and zero interest in Franky last series only to open series 6 with Mini having sex with Franky nonstop, they would be ridiculing Mini and Franky.

But the Mini retcon is just one piece of a series 6 mired in an extremely hateful depiction of women, dimwitted plots, and reliance on backwards tropes.

Last edited by Inesal; 02-28-2012 at 06:48 PM
Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I want to ask you guys a question, what is wrong with Skins atm? I highly enjoyed every episode and im starting to feel as if im watching skins the wrong way because everyone has something new to complain about each episode. Every episode is getting mass negative reception.
Mine would be the lack of continuity. I wasn't enthralled by S5 but thought it was pretty good overall. Plenty to go with for S6 if they wanted to....

Quote:
Am i not being critical enough? I feel im not doing something right.
You are doing it right. If you love it, say so There's plenty from the past in Skins that I adore but got a hammering, usually from the sort of bellends that aren't capable of forming their own opinions. It's not their opinion that counts, is it?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
Note to Dark Zero and minyita,

A storyline is not a character. For example take Game of Thrones. If people complain if season 2 opens with Prince Joffrey being loveable and singing tender songs of peace and love on a harp to his uncle Tyrion, it is not a case of people complaing because of a storyline being dropped. It is people complaining because a character has been retconed. If people complain if season 2 opens with Arya deciding that she does not want to escape but would rather don flowery dresses and marry Prince Joffrey, it is not a case of people complaining because of a storyline being dropped. It is people complaining because a character has been retconed.

When people such as LNJ have criticized the show, they are giving very thoughtful and analytical reasons why. The primary thing that bothers them is the characters, in many cases, being shown this season are different characters from last season. Unpredictable storylines are great but they should never ever be made at the expense of destroying characterization continuity.

Also I would say this season is as predictable as can be. Once episode 1 aired and it was clear such a misogynistic vibe would be present (one that did not exist last year), it was pretty easy to get a feel for what is coming. Just think what things show women in a bad light. Be Brave said it well.

The episode was so demeaning to women but Skins this year has operated with a fierce misogyny that is incredible. I cannot recall in recent memory a show that has shown such overwhelming hatred of women.

If people like it because the completely inauthentic and inane (considering season 5) Malo love story fulfilled their want, that is fine. However don't expect people who take characterization or the portrayals of women seriously to jump up and down for joy for this mess of a season.
To give a heads up, i didnt mention storylines at all so that was um.....

Im confused though, which characters have completely changed? Not Franky because Matty was the reason she changed(which is realistic for a girl confused with who she is). Not Alo because he was always desperate for females and was always the one who wanted to get messed up(high, etc). Not Mini since she had the same sympathy Emily had for JJ except Emily was gay and Mini isnt(meaning she enjoyed the sex and wanted more unlike Emily) Not Matty because he had the same change Franky had(dont forget how much he cares about her this series just like in S5). Also, when i said unpredictable, i was talking about the actual implying the actual story so far was unpredictable not the vibe.

So who else could have possibly changed completely unexplained?

P.S I dont think skins can hate women if they kept Effy for 4 seasons. They could have just had a completely new cast without Effy. Also, it may seem demeaning to you since you seem like a female.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but think about, this is Skins. Skins wouldnt be as good if it was very predictable or if people were able to easily predict what was going to happen. Skins wouldnt be very unique then
Like Inseal said, there's a big difference between surprising and exciting storylines and complete transformations of characters to allow that to happen. Even more than being edgy and daring, Skins focused on characters and writing three-dimensional and complete kids, you can hardly avoid it when with the format they use which focuses in on each character individually to give a pretty detailed picture of who they are. The problem is the storylines this series are unpredictable in the very worst way...as in they don't make sense or occur naturally when compared to the characters of S5. Mini was a possible lesbian/definitely questioning her sexuality/definitely had intimacy and control and body issues and this series the character has only lusted after and shagged Alo (a character she had very little interaction with before), even at the sake of things like supporting Franky or paying respect to a grieving Rich for Grace and these completely clash with the relationships and priorities she had last season, in which her girls ranked miles above sex, something she was intimidated and scared and in the end kinda apathetic towards. That's just ONE example of a character who's been completely transformed into someone else. And then there's the fact that three characters have been essentially thrown away, and with them so has the closeness and the overall dynamics of the group.

Cassie going unhinged and becoming a vindictive pseudo-sex addict was surprising compared to the airy loving space cadet we knew, but it still made sense because and stemmed from the character's already-existent tendency to use sex for power and attention and the fact that what she saw as her one chance for true love was crushed. Effy going crazy was unpredictable but it still made -some- sense considering everything from her past, especially the warning signs from Gen1. But Franky and Mini both having incredibly sex-focused storylines? Franky and Nick "falling in love", Mini and Alo "falling in love"? Those storylines have no roots whatsoever in the series before.

EDIT: I'm not at all saying that you SHOULDN'T enjoy the series, and if you love it then more power to you! I just personally can't because, well, I watch the show for the characters; I like to be able to relate to them and understand their dynamics and all that. For me that was what Skins had that other shows didn't, not crazy, edgy sex and drugs and cursing but fascinating and three-dimensional characters and friendships and relationships ripe for analysis. And now, by essentially throwing those characters away, I can't get a grip on who I'm watching anymore, and what remained intact and what was tossed. I personally think it's a bit insulting and VERY disappointing to see the phenomenal foundation and potential of the set-up season all catch fire and turn to ash in favor of these hokey, unnatural, and inauthentic ones. And even more so when they try to explain away the retcons through one-off lines that aren't even incorporated into the show.

Last edited by -LNJ-; 02-28-2012 at 07:10 PM
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I dont think skins can hate women if they kept Effy for 4 seasons. They could have just had a completely new cast without Effy.
You can't be serious with this logic.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
To give a heads up, i didnt mention storylines at all so that was um.....

Im confused though, which characters have completely changed? Not Franky because Matty was the reason she changed(which is realistic for a girl confused with who she is). Not Alo because he was always desperate for females and was always the one who wanted to get messed up(high, etc). Not Mini since she had the same sympathy Emily had for JJ except Emily was gay and Mini isnt(meaning she enjoyed the sex and wanted more unlike Emily) Not Matty because he had the same change Franky had(dont forget how much he cares about her this series just like in S5). Also, when i said unpredictable, i was talking about the actual implying the actual story so far was unpredictable not the vibe.

So who else could have possibly changed completely unexplained?

P.S I dont think skins can hate women if they kept Effy for 4 seasons. They could have just had a completely new cast without Effy. Also, it may seem demeaning to you since you seem like a female.
To give a heads up back to you, if you look at Minyita (the other person I was replying to), Minyita does bring up the dropping of storylines as being why they think people may not like it.

As for being confused, I don't think you are. I just think you are defensive of the series and bothered that so many people despise it. LNJ has already broken down why your belief that Mini has not been transformed into another character is flawed.

I will take on Franky. Franky's character in the last episode of series 1 was someone whose negative reaction to the possibility of sex was profoundly overwhelming. The jump from her reaction in the last episode of series 5 to the first episode of series 6 is offensive on every level when it comes to character continuity. If they want to depict her by the end of series 6 being comfortable with sex that is great. Considering the events of the series 5 finale, it is ridiculous to leap from A to Z without any presentation of how the change occurred. What purpose does that incident in the series 5 finale serve if by the next episode she is a starved for sex. Unlike Mini (where her having sex with Alo makes zero sense based on series 5 and is a complete retcon), they could have gotten to a point where Franky enjoyed having sex with it feeling organic. Instead BE apparently decided why bother and as he retconned Mini he said lets just have Franky's attitude to sex be completely different when we open series 6.

However Franky also got retconned. Her adrogynous look, once something she carried powerfully, became a sign of weakness and something turned to out of pain.

As for the bolded remark, keeping a female character on a show has zilch to do with whether a show has adopted a misogynistic tone. This does not make any logical sense. That is like saying Luke raping Laura into loving her on General Hospital was not misogynistic because Laura stayed on the show.

I know you are upset with people bashing on the program. The people doing so are not because they take joy from that. They are doing so because of how disappointed they are whether it be in the bad characterizations, the lame storylines, or the horrendous misogyny.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebrave (View Post)
You can't be serious with this logic.
Yes, i can. Im not a female so i will stay out of that conversation....

Quote:
Like Inseal said, there's a big difference between surprising and exciting storylines and complete transformations of characters to allow that to happen. Even more than being edgy and daring, Skins focused on characters and writing three-dimensional and complete kids, you can hardly avoid it when with the format they use which focuses in on each character individually to give a pretty detailed picture of who they are. The problem is the storylines this series are unpredictable in the very worst way...as in they don't make sense or occur naturally when compared to the characters of S5. Mini was a possible lesbian/definitely questioning her sexuality/definitely had intimacy and control and body issues and this series the character has only lusted after and shagged Alo (a character she had very little interaction with before), even at the sake of things like supporting Franky or paying respect to a grieving Rich for Grace and these completely clash with the relationships and priorities she had last season, in which her girls ranked miles above sex, something she was intimidated and scared and in the end kinda apathetic towards. That's just ONE example of a character who's been completely transformed into someone else. And then there's the fact that three characters have been essentially thrown away, and with them so has the closeness and the overall dynamics of the group.

Cassie going unhinged and becoming a vindictive pseudo-sex addict was surprising compared to the airy loving space cadet we knew, but it still made sense because and stemmed from the character's already-existent tendency to use sex for power and attention and the fact that what she saw as her one chance for true love was crushed. Effy going crazy was unpredictable but it still made -some- sense considering everything from her past, especially the warning signs from Gen1. But Franky and Mini both having incredibly sex-focused storylines? Franky and Nick "falling in love", Mini and Alo "falling in love"? Those storylines have no roots whatsoever in the series before.

EDIT: I'm not at all saying that you SHOULDN'T enjoy the series, and if you love it then more power to you! I just personally can't because, well, I watch the show for the characters; I like to be able to relate to them and understand their dynamics and all that. For me that was what Skins had that other shows didn't, not crazy, edgy sex and drugs and cursing but fascinating and three-dimensional characters and friendships and relationships ripe for analysis. And now, by essentially throwing those characters away, I can't get a grip on who I'm watching anymore, and what remained intact and what was tossed. I personally think it's a bit insulting and VERY disappointing to see the phenomenal foundation and potential of the set-up season all catch fire and turn to ash in favor of these hokey, unnatural, and inauthentic ones. And even more so when they try to explain away the retcons through one-off lines that aren't even incorporated into the show.
Alright, with the Mini thing, you cant tell that Mini was trying to pretend like the Grace thing didnt matter so i dont see why she would talk to Rich about it(especially since she wont even talk to Liv about it). With Franky, she still cares but she is still the same ol bitch girl from S5. And also, the change in Mini comes straight from Grace's death. Like you said, she would put the girls above anything, so that means that Grace's death really ****ed her up mentally. She doesnt even know how to handle Grace's death so she just tried to ignore it as if it didnt happen which conflicts with the girls because they want to move past it.

The closeness of the group separated mainly because of Grace once again. Grace changed all of them, in a negative way(except Rich, Alo, and Alex).

Cassie's change didnt make senseCassie didnt use sex as power, she used not eating as power(she pretty much said it during that exam she was taking in S2) If it wasnt for Effy fixing things, Cassie and Sid wouldnt have gotten back together. Sid didnt even know Cassie was having sex until Effy put those pics on him when he was sleep so how did she have power/ Power over her life? Is that what you mean?

Franky and Nick started sometime in S5(i cant remember when). And in the online episode, it was obvious that Mini felt sorry for him. This is why after sex, she disowns him. She doesnt care for him except for sex but now she has to care because she has a baby by him coming. Alo fell for her because thats the girl he lost his virginity to and he got attached. Thats why in Alo's episode, he is going to go for the other girl. Mini and Alo were never falling in love, it wouldnt work for either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
To give a heads up back to you, if you look at Minyita (the other person I was replying to), Minyita does bring up the dropping of storylines as being why they think people may not like it.

As for being confused, I don't think you are. I just think you are defensive of the series and bothered that so many people despise it. LNJ has already broken down why your belief that Mini has not been transformed into another character is flawed.

I will take on Franky. Franky's character in the last episode of series 1 was someone whose negative reaction to the possibility of sex was profoundly overwhelming. The jump from her reaction in the last episode of series 5 to the first episode of series 6 is offensive on every level when it comes to character continuity. If they want to depict her by the end of series 6 being comfortable with sex that is great. Considering the events of the series 5 finale, it is ridiculous to leap from A to Z without any presentation of how the change occurred. What purpose does that incident in the series 5 finale serve if by the next episode she is a starved for sex. Unlike Mini (where her having sex with Alo makes zero sense based on series 5 and is a complete retcon), they could have gotten to a point where Franky enjoyed having sex with it feeling organic. Instead BE apparently decided why bother and as he retconned Mini he said lets just have Franky's attitude to sex be completely different when we open series 6.

However Franky also got retconned. Her adrogynous look, once something she carried powerfully, became a sign of weakness and something turned to out of pain.

As for the bolded remark, keeping a female character on a show has zilch to do with whether a show has adopted a misogynistic tone. This does not make any logical sense. That is like saying Luke raping Laura into loving her on General Hospital was not misogynistic because Laura stayed on the show.

I know you are upset with people bashing on the program. The people doing so are not because they take joy from that. They are doing so because of how disappointed they are whether it be in the bad characterizations, the lame storylines, or the horrendous misogyny.
Yes, i am very confused, i think about it everyday when ever i think about Skins, it boggles my mind.

It isnt impossible since they got together during the summer, remember? She wanted Matty bad in S5 but didnt want to express it because of Liv. So, im sure they talked about it and made it happen(i dont know how, im not suppose to) The change occured because of her not being satisfied with Matty, she stated this. Franky argued with Matty about why things didnt work. You gotta realize that Skins has summers they dont just instantly pick up right after S5.

Mini having sex made sense just like Emily have sex with JJ( The online episode explains a lot about Mini's feelings towards Alo). They did it for the same reason.

The thing about Franky's attitude towards sex was that there was always a reason for having sex. With Luke, it was because she was infatuated with his lifestyle, his mysteriousness(like Matty was in S5) and the hardcore-ness of Luke. It turned her on. Plus the pressure of exams got to her. She need a way to channel all her anger and that came in the form of Luke. With Nick, it was because she realized that Nick was the only one giving a **** about her during a stressful time in her life, he even got beat up for her. He is the only one who checked up on her( except her parents).

She knew he liked her(which is why she started laughing when Nick was about to get beat up). Also, her look changed because she changed. She is no longer confused about her sexuality. She also didnt carry her look powerfully, thats your view of what you think, not the way she was. She had low self-esteem, remember? How could she carry herself powerfully when she kept getting **** on by Mini and have a horrible life before moving to Bristol?

I like this conversation though( im not mocking or anything). Its interesting to me, im enjoying this.

Last edited by Dark-Zero; 02-28-2012 at 08:31 PM
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Spoiler:
but who else is Nick going to end up with without needing to cast someone else from outside the gang?

However, having said that, I didnt mind Carly as a cameo girl