Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauhaus (View Post)
Neil Duncan said Skins doesn't do ghosts. (I know he talks a lot of crap re: hallucinations, but personally I agree with him in that the after-party Grace was not a ghost).

I agree with Jidsy's interpretation-- that's how I saw Rich's hallucinations, too, just manifestations of his grief and denial. I think it's highly likely that Rich knew the fate of Grace all along but envisioned her awaking because he didn't want to accept it until it finally happened (Alex Arnold also said this was one way to interpret the episode).
Yes, its possible because Rich didnt cry when he found out from David.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

I agree with Jidsy's interpretation-- that's how I saw Rich's hallucinations, too, just manifestations of his grief and denial. I think it's highly likely that Rich knew the fate of Grace all along but envisioned her awaking because he didn't want to accept it until it finally happened (Alex Arnold also said this was one way to interpret the episode).
Yes I agree with this.

I think we were supposed to feel like Rich in the episode. He must have known, like us, that something was wrong and this wasn't right but we were clinging on to the hope that she was still there and in denial. However when it was said that Grace had died, Rich couldn't deny it anymore.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Loyal Fan

But it remains surreal ...

Quote:
I think it's highly likely that Rich knew the fate of Grace all along but envisioned her awaking because he didn't want to accept it until it finally happened.
OK, that's one way to construe it. But how does Rich know Grace's fate before he's informed of it by normal, natural means? Because, as Jidsy suggests, he and Grace have a "spiritual connection" that enables him to intuit her death as soon as it happens?

That's cool, but it's not realism. It's supernaturalism, spiritualism, something outside the realm of common experience. Something for which science offers no explanation. Something that a lot of people would say is impossible.

So doesn't this interpretation merely change the kind of surrealism that the writers are engaging in? Even under this interpretation, don't they remain engaged in surrealism?

Even if one were to argue that Rich has been given (by normal natural means that have been kept from the viewers) good reason (which he wants to deny) to expect Grace's death, that doesn't quite explain why he has his "hallucination" of her returning to make love to him at the moment when she dies, does it? The medical profession doesn't quite have predicting death times down to a science yet, does it? So even if one is willing to posit information hidden from the viewers and willfully denied by the character in order to cling to a "realistic" interpretation, I don't quite see how one can pull that off.

Last edited by Finnegan; 02-12-2012 at 06:44 PM
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Absolute Fan

Official tv ratings for episode 2:

655,000 on e4, but no rating found for e4+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
OK, that's one way to construe it. But how does Rich know Grace's fate before he's informed of it by normal, natural means? Because, as Jidsy suggests, he and Grace have a "spiritual connection" that enables him to intuit her death as soon as it happens?
They do kind of have this connection, because he actually sensed that something was wrong when she got into the car crash.

That sounds so cheesy when you say it, but it was really beautiful.

Last edited by Forelsket; 02-22-2012 at 10:13 AM
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 AM
New Fan

Uh, no one has denied the surrealism, though... because, as you pointed out, obviously the show has had many unrealistic occurrences and action. I just don't think that Grace returned as a ghost to have sex. The writers wanted to show how pure and in-touch R/G were, which was highlighted by Rich's awareness of the car crash in the first episode, so it makes sense to follow up on that "instinct" in this ep. Doesn't mean it's realistic, it's just a way to show how deep their bond was.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Absolute Fan

Ooops... actually the official ratings for episode 2 were: 733,000 and unknown for e4+1

The ratings I posted before were for episode 1, so episode 2 ratings actually increased over the premiere.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Master Fan

The Rophy recap for 6x02 is finally here! I admit I haven't read all of it, I will one day though cause it's Rophy (it still hurts, I'm sorry) but the macros at the bottom of the page were precious Let me know what you think about it if/when you decide to have a look
★ Mel • born backwardscredit;
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Total Fan

Oh I'll have a read for sure

Thanks for posting
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-Skins (View Post)
Oh I'll have a read for sure

Thanks for posting
Finally got around to watching series 5 and started series 6 today... I was not ready for my fav. Character to be killed offagain!!! Seriously. First Chris then Freddie now Grace! kinda scares me for Skins series 7
Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I was not ready for my fav. Character to be killed offagain!!! Seriously. First Chris then Freddie now Grace! kinda scares me for Skins series 7
I know how you feel Actually, I'm a bit scared for Cassie since I love her too now that S7 is coming
★ Mel • born backwardscredit;
Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimweh (View Post)
I know how you feel Actually, I'm a bit scared for Cassie since I love her too now that S7 is coming
Me too! She and Cookie I'm scared for tho Cook could usually take care of himself Effy not so much.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Master Fan

I mean, out of everyone in S7, Cassie's life seemed to be the least ruined, if that's any consolation. Coincidentally, her episode was also the most boring and she had the most lackluster resolution. Not saying that I bought complete misery as a believable arc for everyone else either. Skins has two modes for closing storylines – total desolation with zero hope or narrative purgatory. In my opinion, neither works, and it hasn't for a long time. They should have just left Cassie's story where it was, but the same could be said for anyone else involved in S7.