Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Loyal Fan

This is my essay of sorts on cheating! I have no idea how to link the post so I'll just quote myself!

Thanks for the excerpts from the novel Lisa . Naomily parts from the novel were endearing and portrayed them in love but I can’t fathom how a show will let someone with that calibre write a novel for their series. The writing is just, yeah, I dunno what to say that wouldn’t turn out to be prudish or insolent towards the writer.

Oh right, I see why you asked me to read the novel Katie. It is apparent from the novel that Naomi’s problems were related to codependency but it appears that Naomi wasn’t even entirely aware of what codependency actually means or why it is as ghastly as she believes it to be. The only problem with codependency in a relationship is when only one person is terribly reliant on the other. This was not the case in their relationship at all, by all means, they appeared to be dependent on each other and there is nothing erroneous with that at all. By the end of the novel, Naomi’s issues with codependency has been clearly established. She clearly didn’t communicate with Emily at all at any point about her issues and it led to her retaliating against Emily in possibly one of the worst ways that exist. She was showing all kinds of patterns related to codependency with issues ranging from denial, compliance and self-esteem.

The whole thing with Sophia was just ill-contrived. She could have at any point from the train journey to the point in the house stopped but it appears she was hell bent on destruction. In all reality though a self destructive person feels completely isolated, cut off from everyone, and believes that no one will ever understand them. So, when another girl comes along and comforts her but not pushes her to resolve things, she goes along with the whole thing with a warped and twisted logic. Screwing Emily over for her own issues would have never resolved anything. That was just Naomi lashing out against the perceived hold that Emily has always had on her but here is the amusing part, all this is just a matter of perception merely. Naomi perceived Emily’s influence as something to begrudge about. Had she talked to Emily, she in all probability wouldn’t have forced Naomi to go travelling against her wishes. I think one of the fundamental issues that Naomi had a hard time accepting and dealing with was just how much she was changing and how little control she had in determining how these changes occurred. She’s been her own person for so long and seeked only what was right for her and her alone. With Emily in the picture things aren’t going to be the same.Though, one should never put off things that are of the utmost importance to them, one also cannot be purely self-centred and not consider what their partner wants. A compromise could have easily been achieved in all likelihood.

She was trying to fight inevitability but didn’t realize what the gravity of a real love is like. The simple crux of the matter is that when you truly love someone they will always have an influence on you in all the relevant matters. She stood no chance of ever escaping it. The only thing one can do in such situations is to simply accept this and just go along with it and feel it. Love can be pretty terrifying but it can also be pretty rewarding. It’s only a matter of a delicate balance and the perfect analogy for this is perhaps a very basic algebraic equation. You can choose differing set of values for the variables to achieve the solution but it depends on what numbers you choose for each variable to evaluate the equation. I believe in the end it was clear to her on some level that perception is everything. She could either look at her love for Emily as terrifying or as something wonderful and truly remunerating. Her choice, I believe, in the end was pretty clear.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
This was not the case in their relationship at all, by all means, they appeared to be dependent on each other and there is nothing erroneous with that at all.
Quote:
She’s been her own person for so long and seeked only what was right for her and her alone. With Emily in the picture things aren’t going to be the same.Though, one should never put off things that are of the utmost importance to them, one also cannot be purely self-centred and not consider what their partner wants.
Quote:
Love can be pretty terrifying but it can also be pretty rewarding. It’s only a matter of a delicate balance and the perfect analogy for this is perhaps a very basic algebraic equation. You can choose differing set of values for the variables to achieve the solution but it depends on what numbers you choose for each variable to evaluate the equation. I believe in the end it was clear to her on some level that perception is everything. She could either look at her love for Emily as terrifying or as something wonderful and truly remunerating. Her choice, I believe, in the end was pretty clear.

You explain it so well, I totally agree with everything you said; especially the parts I quoted you on.
I can relate to Naomi a lot more than I can relate to Emily when it comes to relationships and love. My first boyfriend who I ended up being with for three years had to pretty much convince me for 6 months that we should be together even though I knew I already loved him. For some people relationships and love can be very terrifying to a point where you'd rather just play the game and get out as soon as it gets serious; but I think for Naomi she knew it wasn't that easy since Emily seems to be the one and she knows it and Emily completely knew this all along as well.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Elite Fan

someone said this about Kaya last night. I agree.

'I AM DISSAPPOINTED IN KAYA SCODELARIO:
i understand that everyone has opinions. but by insulting skins us, she is basically insulting bryan elsely- the man who got her where she is. she should some respect for him and his work.
and by saying “nah brits do it better” is making her sound like every other uneducated hater. mtv DID NOT steal skins. bryan brought it stateside himself. last time i checked, he was a brit.'
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK89 (View Post)

You explain it so well, I totally agree with everything you said; especially the parts I quoted you on.
I can relate to Naomi a lot more than I can relate to Emily when it comes to relationships and love. My first boyfriend who I ended up being with for three years had to pretty much convince me for 6 months that we should be together even though I knew I already loved him. For some people relationships and love can be very terrifying to a point where you'd rather just play the game and get out as soon as it gets serious; but I think for Naomi she knew it wasn't that easy since Emily seems to be the one and she knows it and Emily completely knew this all along as well.
I completely understand where you are coming from. Honestly, I don't think I was exaggerating when I said I felt like Naomi was a female version of me. I relate to her entirely too much and don't think that's such a great thing.

The point you made about Emily is so true, I don't have any words that can describe the season 3 situation better. Her lack of perspective was shocking and I pointed it out as an annoying prick repeatedly to whosoever was stuck with us watching the series.

Last edited by Sean_Carr; 01-20-2011 at 07:18 AM
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Master Fan

I think that is what is so unique about the Naomi and Emily story line (and why they have been referred to as 'the acception to love' in Skins), the entire time it was obvious that they did not have eyes for anyone else. Naomi kept coming back and near the end it just became so painfully obvious that she was just in complete ruins about the entire thing. I could see it becoming such a problem to her that it's all she can think about and Emily knew this, as she said at the lake when Naomi was walking away.
I always want to give Emily credit for her patience, I know that many have said Naomi has issues with being co-dependent because of her father leaving and it was obvious her relationship with her mother was not a good one (even though Gina was wonderfully wonderful!) but what about Emily then? Her sister controlled her, her mum clearly favoured Katie and Emily was someone who was overlooked in her family yet she was able to give Naomi so much love. They are so similar in ways that aren't immediately obvious but they handled it in two completely different ways.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I think that is what is so unique about the Naomi and Emily story line (and why they have been referred to as 'the acception to love' in Skins), the entire time it was obvious that they did not have eyes for anyone else. Naomi kept coming back and near the end it just became so painfully obvious that she was just in complete ruins about the entire thing. I could see it becoming such a problem to her that it's all she can think about and Emily knew this, as she said at the lake when Naomi was walking away.
I always want to give Emily credit for her patience, I know that many have said Naomi has issues with being co-dependent because of her father leaving and it was obvious her relationship with her mother was not a good one (even though Gina was wonderfully wonderful!) but what about Emily then? Her sister controlled her, her mum clearly favoured Katie and Emily was someone who was overlooked in her family yet she was able to give Naomi so much love. They are so similar in ways that aren't immediately obvious but they handled it in two completely different ways.
I fully agree with you. They mostly differed on the surface of things but at the core, they were quite similar. The main difference between the two was mostly their emotional capacity. Emily was just much more equipped and far stronger than Naomi or any other character. This is essentially so rare and is even marvellous when we think about how neglected she was compared to her sister.

Perception is just deceptively fickle to talk about in terms of relating it to an individual or a particular event. I can say from personal experience that I didn't have any of the problems Naomi faced in terms of parenting but I still looked at things the wrong way. I kept jerking my gf around and probably would have kept doing it until my dad basically told me to grow up and start acting my age. It's just a matter of how one looks at things.

Naomi and Emily to me always came across as the ocean and the land. They would always merge at one point or the other. The contact cannot be avoided. It’s inescapable. They differed on the surface of things but balanced each other out so flawlessly that one couldn’t exist without the other and vice versa. The way they were apt for each other couldn’t be surpassed by a majority of couples even across different mediums.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Naomi and Emily to me always came across as the ocean and the land. They would always merge at one point or the other.

I completely agree, there is something about them that bypasses any other story line (not just in Skins, but any other show I have seen). Although, unlike a lot of other N/E fans, I wasn't completely captured by them until episode 4. In Skins I have never really shipped a couple, I have liked Chris/Angie, Michelle/Tony and at first I even liked Freddie/Effy but never to the point of being hopeful because I know how Skins works and they can never let anyone just be. Also, what I think sets these two aside is their background that we actually still don't know that much about. We know they've known each other, or merely Naomi noticed Emily, since the age of 12 and that they had one kiss at a party which Katie witnessed but other than that it has all been based on what we see. Even though there is not a lot we know regarding their history, I just feel it with them which I have not had with other characters; I've said it before but I never even felt the history that Cook, Freddie and JJ had and they were meant to be best friends.
Naomi and Emily also just have this ever lasting feel to them which I really like.

Ew, I need to go. Have to go to the library for some uni work. Bye!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:

I completely agree, there is something about them that bypasses any other story line (not just in Skins, but any other show I have seen). Although, unlike a lot of other N/E fans, I wasn't completely captured by them until episode 4. In Skins I have never really shipped a couple, I have liked Chris/Angie, Michelle/Tony and at first I even liked Freddie/Effy but never to the point of being hopeful because I know how Skins works and they can never let anyone just be. Also, what I think sets these two aside is their background that we actually still don't know that much about. We know they've known each other, or merely Naomi noticed Emily, since the age of 12 and that they had one kiss at a party which Katie witnessed but other than that it has all been based on what we see. Even though there is not a lot we know regarding their history, I just feel it with them which I have not had with other characters; I've said it before but I never even felt the history that Cook, Freddie and JJ had and they were meant to be best friends.
Naomi and Emily also just have this ever lasting feel to them which I really like.

Ew, I need to go. Have to go to the library for some uni work. Bye!
I don't think you guys want me going in a rant about the friendship between the three. I know some people have tried to reason all that stuff as the fall out of the group but that's not what friendship is all about at all. That was just TV. Boring, old, repetitive tv. You don't screw your friends over or someone who used to be your friend for such a long time. This mostly never happens in real life either or I don't know enough petty or vindictive people. I even forgot the stuff about JJ being in love with Effy. Yes, the whole Effy thing was that mind numbing, to me, at least. I probably fell asleep or something. Tbh, I didn't like majority of what was done for other characters. They were a complete dud to me. It somehow didn't feel as real or honest as Naomi/Emily's storyline which can be related to by a majority of people, regardless of their gender, age, or sexual orientation.

Theirs was a true love story.

Bye Lynne

Last edited by Sean_Carr; 01-20-2011 at 07:21 AM
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

Wow, guys you got me hooked with this convo before having lunch

Naomily is the story of the inevitable. They were just born to be together. Even being apart they'd always find a way to find each other.

A big part of the success in this storyline is that anyone can actually relate with the emotional (and sexual, if it's the case) issues it depicts. And this only can be achieved if you come up with characters that feel real as a heart beat. Yeah you can relate to some of Cook's or Sid's traits of personality, but in the end (and IA completely agree with you Sean and your latest post about the the Musketeers friendship) you know it's hard to find people like that in RL. NE are so normal, ordinary in that sense that make people to commit with them.

But, with only proximity to reality you can't have a classic all time story, you have to put something trascendent into it, the epicness, or like I said the moving force, the inevitable, something that is beyond logic and somehow inspires you. As opposite, some modern realistic/naturalistic stories focus too much on the ordinary aspects and avoid on porpuse any attempt to portray anything else, in the like of "what you see is what you get, this is not a Greek epic poem". But Naomily got to bring both things together and become a modern time classic love story.

"It's a love story about a girl who doesn't want to be in love". Jack Thorne
Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bravo Sean I love your posts

IA with that poster Sam, Kaya should have thought before she spoke. Especially as BE follows her tweets.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbeak (View Post)
Wow, guys you got me hooked with this convo before having lunch

Naomily is the story of the inevitable. They were just born to be together. Even being apart they'd always find a way to find each other.

A big part of the success in this storyline is that anyone can actually relate with the emotional (and sexual, if it's the case) issues it depicts. And this only can be achieved if you come up with characters that feel real as a heart beat. Yeah you can relate to some of Cook's or Sid's traits of personality, but in the end (and IA completely agree with you Sean and your latest post about the the Musketeers friendship) you know it's hard to find people like that in RL. NE are so normal, ordinary in that sense that make people to commit with them.

But, with only proximity to reality you can't have a classic all time story, you have to put something trascendent into it, the epicness, or like I said the moving force, the inevitable, something that is beyond logic and somehow inspires you. As opposite, some modern realistic/naturalistic stories focus too much on the ordinary aspects and avoid on porpuse any attempt to portray anything else, in the like of "what you see is what you get, this is not a Greek epic poem". But Naomily got to bring both things together and become a modern time classic love story.
Hi Buck!

I am injured and bored so yapping I guess but since you have made such good claims I think I should say something. Firstly, you are completely right about the post-modern literature on love and relationships. They do paint a very dreary picture of relationships nowadays. What I meant when I talked about realism and honesty regarding their relationship was mostly about how their story progressed and how they reacted emotionally to things. Had it been some other tv show, they most likely would have gone the terrible way of hooking them up with other people in season 3. In all reality, when you love someone with that much depth, you never really go off the tangent. It was real in the sense that there was so much struggle on Naomi's behalf to let Emily into her life in the first place. I can personally say it's not easy at all! It's so much easier to run and hide.

And they seemed inevitable to me from the start. I always related their storyline to inevitability from the staring in the gym to the reconciliation in the shed. I, in all honesty, never doubted that they would end up together. They would have ended up just as they did at the end of series 4 without a doubt. Emily was always understanding, generous, and forgiving. What was needed was for Naomi to make an honest effort to fix their relationship, which she did at the end in that shed. She may have been a little late but it was not too late.

ETA: Hi Lisa! How are you?

Last edited by Sean_Carr; 01-20-2011 at 11:38 AM
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Extreme Fan

*all in good fun..i love tea/sofia
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm good, at work and wasting a few minutes on here

JB did a interview for digital spy, and he talked the movie. The usual stuff but looks like movies news soon, actually really means soon

Do you have any more news about the Skins movie?

"Bryan [Elsley]'s in the US at the moment working on American Skins and I'm obviously concentrating on UK Skins so it's slightly on the back burner at the moment. We literally just don't have time to focus on the film. I suppose as soon as both series are done, and they're almost done now, we should be able to get back into it and have some news for people pretty sharpish. We haven't had time to work on the film but it will happen, definitely."

JB also admitted he might have went to dark with killing off Freddie
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So true Vegan though seriously, you can't really compare Tea to Naomily, they are three very different girls and any romance Tea has will be different to Naomily.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Master Fan