Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Extreme Fan

I agree, series 5 was the best series the show did after series 1. It's unfortunate it came along after most people had already got tired of Skins. I think series 4 killed the show really. After the mess that was series 6 and 7, I do wish Skins had ended at series 5. It was clear then it was never going to be the ratings juggernaut it had been previously so they may as well have called it a day there. A group of friends dancing would have been a more fitting way to end the show for me anyway. Better than a girl hanging from a tree and OTT Cook worship at least (and I say that as someone who loves Cook)
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Dedicated Fan

I agree Season 5 was brilliant. I loved Franky as a character because of how unique she was. I also loved her and Matty as a pair because of how similar they are. Then in S6 they completely change her from my fave character to my LEAST fave, what happened to her? S6 was a disaster.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenaya (View Post)
I agree Season 5 was brilliant. I loved Franky as a character because of how unique she was. I also loved her and Matty as a pair because of how similar they are. Then in S6 they completely change her from my fave character to my LEAST fave, what happened to her? S6 was a disaster.
Speaking of Gen 3 I saw this on tumblr yesterday and I nearly cried.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Master Fan

I remember this! It came just before S6, they tried to warn us about their fate I guess, how lovely.
I agree with everyone about the wasted potential that was S6. Some people actually liked S5, thanks for caring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefiro (View Post)
Season 5 was the best. Probably one of the best thing I have ever watched overall on tv. Nothing was over the edge,it was very real and fluid.
Season 6 was the worst. But I think season 4 has been the season that actually ruined the show with the fans. After that ending
Generation 1 is overall the best one,though. And I loved Cassie's episode in season 7.
Lmao not going to comment on how the show ended. Really.
I want to remember Skins as the show who had 5x01,5x02 and 5x03.
Your entire post
★ Mel • born backwardscredit;
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Better than a girl hanging from a tree and OTT Cook worship at least (and I say that as someone who loves Cook)
I still can't believe they thought after the baseball bats, Naomi dying like that it was a fitting way to put an end of the show.
Emma's corpse hanging from a tree. Of all the ways they had to choose that one.

Icon
Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

+1 for S5 having the most potential. I loved those kids. It's pretty amazing how reviews deemed it the most 'grown up' Skins series yet, and then S6 made it some weird Degrassi thing.

Incidentally, TVTropes tells me that S4 was a little wacky because budget cuts apparently killed the Naomi and Pandora episodes -- the finale was therefore a mash-up. Is this true? It makes sense in retrospect...
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOx (View Post)
+1 for S5 having the most potential. I loved those kids. It's pretty amazing how reviews deemed it the most 'grown up' Skins series yet, and then S6 made it some weird Degrassi thing.

Incidentally, TVTropes tells me that S4 was a little wacky because budget cuts apparently killed the Naomi and Pandora episodes -- the finale was therefore a mash-up. Is this true? It makes sense in retrospect...
Pandora was supposed to have an episode. The budget cuts impacted that heavily. They made the plot of hers into a mini though. It was where she found her father. It was a great mini, had so much potential, but alas, they cut it. Shame too, it would've been so much better than any of that series mainly.

I really got into Skins on Series 3. I watched Gen 1 but I don't know, it felt a little disconnected, Gen 2 really summed up my personality, I felt as if every episode had some quality I could connect to. Series 4 even wasn't all bad, Katie's and Effy's episode, minus the ending, actually resonated. And I liked JJ's.

I loved Series 5, it to me like everyone says was the best. I actually feel like out of everyone, Gen 3 was the strongest overall in terms of storytelling and continuity and quality. I loved Liv's episode in Series 6, same with Rich's, and Mini's even.

As much as I hated the specials, (after the Cook one I deleted them all from my harddrive) I will miss Skins. It's like feeling like a small part of me is over. All the Gen's had something special to teach and overall Skins was a great show.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think gen 1 was the best, but I felt the closest to gen 2. Don't know why. I felt really connected to Effy because I was going through some really crap times when she went mental and even though our lives were completely different it felt nice for someone to be going through something bad too (this doesn't make sense cause she's just a fictional character, but oh well, I guess I was really desperate back then).

I finished watching Skins around the beginning of season 6, I just couldn't warm up to the new generation and it didn't feel like Skins anymore. I really liked Mini and Grace though.

But nevertheless, it always will be a very important part of my teenage years. I like that they gave us a little insight into their lives after a couple of years. It's funny how a tv series can have an impact on so many lives and mean so much to some people.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Great teen drama

Gen 1 was among the best teen drama I've ever seen. Brilliant use of symbolism to develop moral idealism on an adult level that teen viewers could -- if they wanted -- ignore. Very traditional message underneath the surface, about why we don't love better than we do.

For example, a viewer could regard the bus that hit Tony as a physical reality or as a metaphor for the trauma of redemption. The ambiguity was delightful.

Sorry, but the other seasons were simply not up to that standard. Not only was Gen 1 the only generation with a generation-long story arc that was clearly and consistently developed, it was the only generation to make consistent use of visual symbolism to convey a second level of meaning. Hardly surprising -- something like Gen 1 of Skins is hard to sustain.

B.E., J.B. and Jack Thorne said it in a 2006 press interview when season 1 was still being produced: they wanted a moral drama, but not a "preachy" one. The wanted the moral message conveyed without explicating it verbally. The result was some brilliant visual symbolism -- which, sadly, eluded much of the teen audience.

Great teen drama is also for grown-ups. But the teens don't get it until they grow up. It's like fairy tales -- you see so much more in them when you read them to your children than you did when you heard them as a little child.

Since there's no commercial payoff to taking the trouble to add a whole second level of meaning that most viewers miss, we don't see much great teen drama. And that's a pity, because, as JB has noted, teenagers are the best characters fro dramatizing moral issues, for dealing with how to love well, and why we don't love better. And that, ultimately, is because love is about helping one another grow -- we grow by loving, we love by growing, and grown-ups forget that growing is never done.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
For Tony, who taught me how to love someone best;
for Michelle, who taught me how to look shaggable;
for Sid, who taught me to write love letters;
for Cassie, who taught me when to run away;
for Chris, who taught me how to stop saying no;
for Jal, who taught me to stick with my principles;
for Maxxie, who taught me to dance in the face of it all;
for Anwar, who taught me to have faith;
for Effy, who taught me to break hearts;
for Pandora, who taught me to be good and honest (with donuts);
for Thomas, who taught me about honor;
for JJ, who taught me about magic;
for Cook, who taught me to go mental;
for Freddie, who taught me when to stick around;
for Naomi and Emily, who taught me to be brave;
for Katie, who taught me to have an identity;
for Franky, who taught me to be a headfck thing;
for Alo, who taught me how to treat my parents;
for Liv, who taught me to be independent;
for Rich and Grace, who taught me about this brave new world;
for Mini, who taught me how to protect someone;
for Skins, which taught me about life.
This is beautiful.

Series 3 and 4 are the only ones that I watched. Loved S3, to me, it's just about perfect. Though you all have gotten me very curious about S5, but I wonder if I should bother since s6 seems to be hated as much as s5 is loved.

Still, I have wonderful memories tied to Skins and I will always love Gen 2, before it was all screwed up.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Master Fan

definitely give S5 a try! It's beautifully written and the characters are arguably the most complex. Sure, people complain it's not "edgy" but depth is more important imo. Don't even touch S6 though, unless you want to murder everything you ever loved.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Don't even touch S6 though, unless you want to murder everything you ever loved.

I might just check it out.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Total Fan

Watch gen1 too
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Master Fan

Ok, so watch everything but S6?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Total Fan

pretty much, also feel free to give skins US a miss if you like