Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Lol, see ? That's so weird to me. But I understand, because other than Chris/Jal, I shipped the couples that almost no one liked in the first two seasons.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

Chris and Jal had a great friendship, and she really was there for him at times when no one else was but that was the extent of their relationship for me. I didn't feel the chemistry translate into something romantic, nor did I get her sudden interest in him or his in her. It was something I guess I knew would happen because they were the only ones left to hook up
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalnoob (View Post)
I agree completely, Conspiracy. Her entire relationship with Freddie to me just comes from her vulnerability. It's why he's had the affect he's had on her, IMO. We've never seen her like this with anyone because she's never been this vulnerable either. And he's coming at the precise time to take advantage of her vulnerability.

I think so too, she's vulnerable and looking for someone who she thinks can help her through her tough times which is why she is being open with Freddie imo. We didnt see them interact enough prior to this to be able to dedude that she has formed some strong bond with Freddie.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Elite Fan

Is this the first episode discussion to get two threads? This is totally going to become a trend.

kenny | credit
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv-fan189 (View Post)
We didnt see them interact enough prior to this to be able to dedude that she has formed some strong bond with Freddie.
You don't need to have formed a strong bond with someone, to react differently to that person, than you would be expected to. The depth of the relationship comes later. You can be merely attracted to that individual, or interested in that individual and still act differently with him.

In any respect like I said, the fact that even those who propose the OOC argument, have managed to come up with a why for the relationship is telling.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
But by the way things are going right now, I think she's just reflecting her issues.
What I don't get in this theory is why then Freddie? Why's she been the most intimate emotionally with him, not only in this episode but the last one as well, instead of say Pandora or Cook, if he's so insignificant to her and she'd be this way with anyone just b/c of her family situation?

Also I'm trying to get how the guy who likes a girl and wants to actually get to know her is somehow the one taking advantage of her fragile state of mind and guy who treats her like a sex object is not.....

Quote:
That's the thing though. Sometimes all it takes is a spark. To attempt to explain why someone is attracted to someone else - whether physically or emotionally is akin to asking someone to explain the purpose of life.
Agreed, attraction is for the most part random. It doesn't have to be that deep or easily dissected. Science versus romance, and all that. Nobody really understands why and how it happens.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Cook treats her like a sex object because that's how she put herself out to him The way she keeps coming back to him no matter what shows that she wants to be treated that way by him. I don't think she's not a victim in this situation at all.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

I agree with Tar - she's not the victim if she's not letting herself be. Effy would only be the victim if we viewed the show in a black/white context, but it isn't that kind of show... you have to remember there are shades of grey. She's not the damsel in distress ---

kenny | credit
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
The way she keeps coming back to him no matter what shows that she wants to be treated that way by him.
IDK maybe it shows a lack of self-respect, but I think the shed scene where she told him off and her look of disgust when he told her to piss off if she's not going to f them showed that she doesn't really like it. It could just as easily be explained that she keeps going back to him to get laid b/c she wants to escape the overwhelming emotions she's feeling regarding her family situation and so forth since he's very no-strings-attached rather than actually enjoying his treatment of her.

And to clarify, I don't really actually think Effy's a victim of either boy! She can handle it. I just thought it was a funny comment that Freddie's somehow the one with sinister intentions and trying to use her.

Last edited by idkmybffjill; 02-23-2009 at 07:02 PM
Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

I don't think I saw anyone refer to Effy as a victim? All I saw was the question being put forth with regards to the choice of language for the E/F relationship - i.e. Freddie is taking advantage of Effy's vulnerability. One poster disagreed with that particular understanding of the situation, and so do I actually. I think a more accurate way of putting across the idea that her vulnerability as a result of her parents marital issues is a factor in the ability of Freddie to effect her is that this vulnerability and increased sensitivity has allowed Effy to be open to the possibility of something different as opposed to the expected same old, same old.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Lack of self-respect, too, for sure. She's using him to let go of her frustrations. And by saying 'yes' even after saying 'no' she's allowing herself to be treated like crap. I don't think she enjoys it, but she wants it, because she's being completely self-destructive this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusW (View Post)
I don't think I saw anyone refer to Effy as a victim?
Not everything I say is a direct response to someone's posts I was just reflecting...
Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Elite Fan

Effy is a total masochist

kenny | credit
Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

I agree again, Cook treats her like a sex object because thats the only side of herself Effy shows him, so he respects that thats what she wants from him and acts accordingly. If she showed a different side I am sure he wouldnt be out only for sex. I dont see how Freddie is any different, he objectifies her too because he only likes her because she is goodlooking when he knows nothing about her and has a tendency to look down on her like he did in Pandora.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusW (View Post)
Have we not considered the possiblity that maybe, just maybe, the fact that Effy acts differently when she's with Freddie than with everyone else says something significant about the Effy/Freddie relationship?
iawtcsfm. although its on the previous page and all now

and if we're talking about abuse of vulnerability here, its still effy's doing. if she lets herself be used by cook or be "loved" by freddie, it a part of the character change. if any character were to be stagnant and act him/herself all the time, i doubt the show will go anywhere

it boggles me how much reaction is drawn from those who are not interested in EF or freddie, especially because it is the predominant voice in the longest episode discussion yet.

Whether we see each other next week, next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
it boggles me how much reaction is drawn from those who are not interested in EF or freddie, especially because it is the predominant voice in the longest episode discussion yet.
Well this episode was about Freddie, so naturally he is the predominant discussion.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv-fan189 (View Post)
I dont see how Freddie is any different, he objectifies her too because he only likes her because she is goodlooking when he knows nothing about her and has a tendency to look down on her like he did in Pandora.
Well, I see a difference in the way Freddie treats Effy and the way Cook treats Effy. To be attracted to someone primarily for their good looks (and who's to say that's the only reason Freddie likes her - maybe it's the way she was sat in the car, or the way her nostrils flare when she takes a breath, or the way she was looking at him), is different from referring to Effy as solely for the purpose of one's own sexual gratification to the extent that should she refuse to provide this particular service, she would have to leave the shed. I see a difference in that.