Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Elite Fan

Debate Thread: It's OK for a lesbian (like Emily) to sleep w/ a guy (like JJ) if she's not confused about her sexuality.

Basic FF rules still apply. NO BASHING. Debate away.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

IMO sex is okay, aslong as its not with animal's, children, family or the dead.

JJ and Emily we're both consenting in the sex, so its up to them.

icon by Mel • lachlan ♚
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Fan

that's pretty much what i came in here to say it's ok to have sex when you're confused about your sexuality

(now whether or not portraying that feeds into problematic notions/attitudes etc is another issue)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Banned

debate thread? what is this godly and beauteous creation?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Total Fan

Yeah I pretty much agree, its Emily's body, and so if she wants to have sex with him its her choice. They both consented
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
debate thread? what is this godly and beauteous creation?
wank is the only hope to get people posting on this board again

i feel like most of the people who hate that Emily slept with JJ actually felt more betrayed that she slept with a guy despite being sure of her sexuality. unless i'm just thinking of Tea idk w/e
Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernut (View Post)
wank is the only hope to get people posting on this board again

i feel like most of the people who hate that Emily slept with JJ actually felt more betrayed that she slept with a guy despite being sure of her sexuality. unless i'm just thinking of Tea idk w/e
probably. that and ship wars.

since i'm here, ia with what ubernut said. i can understand being ticked off that emily would sleep with someone other than naomi after the events of naomi's episode, which i'm sure a few people are. but idk.

the real situation that should be up for debate in here is what in the world possessed someone as young and pruned as emily to willingly hop on JJ's dick?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

It wasn't wrong per se, though there's a hundred good reasons why members of this fandom switch that episode off a few minutes before the end, so I see the argument that there's no reason not to...
But meaningless sex in whatever context gets on my nerves, neither gained anything more than a short term fix from it, and JJ, if he were a real person, would be forever left with a first time that happened 'just for the sake of it', rather than with any love involved, albeit with somebody ridiculously good looking.
I'm not going to rant for ages, suffice to say that storyline always annoyed me, possibly because it is, alas, realistic - and that my nasty piece of work ex-girlfriend has a lot to answer for in terms of my attitudes towards sex...
Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Fan

I think there are quite a few good reasons for people to find the scene problematic/hate the whole idea of it, but I really disagree about calling it meaningless sex, tbh. Just because the meaning is a temporary salve for their problems shouldn't discount that meaning. They both got acceptance and friendship and someone caring from it that they didn't fell like they were getting from anyone else, and imo that's pretty different from "just for the sake of it".
Old 08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I think there are quite a few good reasons for people to find the scene problematic/hate the whole idea of it, but I really disagree about calling it meaningless sex, tbh. Just because the meaning is a temporary salve for their problems shouldn't discount that meaning. They both got acceptance and friendship and someone caring from it that they didn't fell like they were getting from anyone else, and imo that's pretty different from "just for the sake of it".
ita
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Just because the meaning is a temporary salve for their problems shouldn't discount that meaning.
But a great many other things without the future problems attached could also have solved their problems, and probably more effectively than joining the first available character in bed, however unfitting...
Sorry, but I'm inclined to call that scene the most annoying thing Emily does in the entire 2 series. I can usually overlook the whole 'sex without love' on the basis that Skins plotlines would rather disintegrate without it, but in that instance, it really did rankle.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Fan

idk, i'm not too inclined to be overly judgmental of someone's motives for having sex unless they're actually out to hurt someone, which Emily clearly isn't. Now there are a bunch of motives that people have for writing characters having sex (or writing the characters as having particular motives for sex) that I'll side-eye pretty hard.

Quote:
But a great many other things without the future problems attached could also have solved their problems
well I mean they're young and naive and aren't necessarily going to think of all these other things that will make themselves feel better, tho. it's not like we didn't watch a whole episode of JJ trying other things first

and lol aw, how presh is Emily that the worst thing she did over two series was try to make someone else feel better (with her vajajay)?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
and lol aw, how presh is Emily that the worst thing she did over two series was try to make someone else feel better (with her vajajay)?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

^
That's definitely a nicer way of putting it
And I really did enjoy watching that friendship develop during that episode, it was an awesome bit of character development that's been thin on the ground in Skins of late, I just didn't much like the direction it took at the end, which ultimately meant the pair didn't spend much time together after. His Series 4 episode may have been dire, but on the whole I quite like JJ... he's more like me than I usually care to admit.

That said, my argument's based on the fact that I'll forever hate the fact that I lost my virginity to somebody who didn't really love me back. Had she been Emily... I might have made an exception

It'd be interesting to see what Kat, with her psychologist hat on, makes of the whole thing.

Last edited by OtherWill; 08-25-2011 at 04:46 PM
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
the real situation that should be up for debate in here is what in the world possessed someone as young and pruned as emily to willingly hop on JJ's dick?
literally what i came here to say, tbh.

Quote:
i wouldn't say that was the worst thing she did over two series. she's done worse imo.