Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Extreme Fan

4x07 [Effy] Episode Discussion Pt. 2

Effy has been in a psychiatric hospital recovering since she tried to take her own life.
After lots of sessions with her counsellor John Foster, he tells her she is ready to go back home.
Effy is worried she could slip back into her previous state, but John assures her that
as long as she is disciplined she will be ok, and she will still visit him for sessions.
Effy becomes clear headed, focussed and hopeful for the future, taking each day at a time.
As all of her friends receive their A-level results, Effy seems to have moved on completely from the Effy Stonem she used to be.
Freddie and Anthea become concerned;
Effy’s stronger and more self-assured than she’s ever been, but something isn’t right.

Written by Jamie Brittain
Directed by Daniel O' Hara
Thursday March 11th on E4

+the discussion continues here.
remember to be lovash not fightahs
and if my bad cop services are needed
contact me via PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammary_Glands (View Post)
100% agreed. And it's not like every hospital, institution, and care-giver is going to be a horrible/psychopathic.
Exactly and as a fan of Effy's character I want the best for her and right now the best thing for her is to get the right care and overcome her mental illness. I don't understand how any Effy fan could want her to remain crazy or die just so she can talk to/be with Freddie. She is more than Freddie's girlfriend and she has a support system in friends/family to help her recover.

| Aimee

Last edited by upthemorning; 03-15-2010 at 04:36 PM
Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
If it takes a month or more, then that's a different story.
No one is expecting her to fully recover in this episode, I just want to be re-assured that she would somehow make it through this with the love and support of her family and friends. That can be done without attempting to make her "okay" with Freddie's death.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyException (View Post)
Exactly and as a fan of Effy's character I want the best for her and right now the best thing for her is to get the right care and overcome her mental illness. I don't understand how any Effy fan could want her to remain crazy or die just so she can talk to/be with Freddie. She is more than Freddie's girlfriend and she has a support system in friends/family to help her recover.
i really do think ppl have forgotten the 'she is more than freddies girlfriend' part lol
Old 03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFaraday (View Post)
i really do think ppl have forgotten the 'she is more than freddies girlfriend' part lol
Apparently her identity as of late has been reduced to as much.

Barf me out.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFaraday (View Post)
Of course Effy is more than Freddies girlfriend. BUT. The fact that she loves him as much as she does is a part of her now. I don't care how sane and together you are, if you found out your psychiatrist murdered your boyfriend there would be issues.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roswellcharmed_2000 (View Post)
Of course Effy is more than Freddies girlfriend. BUT. The fact that she loves him as much as she does is a part of her now. I don't care how sane and together you are, if you found out your psychiatrist murdered your boyfriend there would be issues.
Noone said there wouldn't be issues. I think regardless of who we ship its obvious that it will take Effy some time to get over this. The "Effy is more than Freddie's girlfriend" comment is in reference to people who would rather Effy remain crazy/die just to stay with Freddie when she has a good chance of recovering and that is the healthiest thing for her to do.

| Aimee
Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Noone said there wouldn't be issues. I think regardless of who we ship its obvious that it will take Effy some time to get over this. The "Effy is more than Freddie's girlfriend" comment is in reference to people who would rather Effy remain crazy/die just to stay with Freddie when she has a good chance of recovering and that is the healthiest thing for her to do.
Oh okay. This whole situation is crazy for me since they said the finale only takes place over 2 days.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Oh okay. This whole situation is crazy for me since they said the finale only takes place over 2 days.
The murder SL was ridiculous and I agree that with only one episode left I don't see how things are going to be wrapped up at all.

| Aimee
Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The murder SL was ridiculous and I agree that with only one episode left I don't see how things are going to be wrapped up at all.
Yeah. How are they gonna wrap up Freddie as a character and his relationships with Cook and Effy?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Master Fan

Ugh one episode left is what makes me doubt. Freddie was a part of Effy and I don't think her only role was just being his gf but he was a part of her..especially after what happened during his episode. I want to see Effy be happy and whole again but with one episode I wonder how far that will go if it can even explore the outcome of his death. Some people would never get over this kind of thing and we have one episode to see if Effy does I just hope it's done as realistic as possible..and I doubt the writer's knowledge of what is realistic after Freddie's death period so I am a bit worried to say the least
Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Yeah. How are they gonna wrap up Freddie as a character and his relationships with Cook and Effy?
There seems to be a lot going on as well which worries me. I wanted a good ending for these characters. I think Effy's character is worrying me the most because she's in such an unstable condition and this will only tip her off more. I want to see her on the road to recovery

| Aimee
Old 03-13-2010, 03:11 PM
New Fan

Being a huge Cook/Freddie supporter - not slash (well maybe that a little bit too, but that's not relevant now), but friendship wise - I have thought a lot about the last scene they had together. The last thing Cook told Freddie (after bringing Effy to him) was, "Don't screw it up." If you think about it, the last thing Freddie did was to do what Cook told him: He did a final effort to protect Effy. He did what he thought was necessary. He really didn't have to accept John's invite - A lot of people probably wouldn't have. But tolerant as he is, he showed up to, I guess, hear what John had to say, and when he didn't liked what he was hearing, he (once again) made it clear that John should stay away from Effy. Showing up turned out to be the wrong decision obviously, but Freddie did it because he thought he had to. He was so desperate to not screw it up.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I don't think anyone's implying that's all she is. However, she's in a very unstable, vulnerable state right now and has been shown multiple to be relying on Freddie to help her through it (the unseen where her subconscious tells her to "open the swan" and makes her smile, the desperate "get me to Freddie" to Cook when she snaps out of the Elizabeth brainwashing thing, 3/4ths of ep 5 esp the "hole that fits mine" and "closest I'll get to being close" etc).

So imo there's really no way that in the span of a 2 day finale is she going to find out about and then reconcile with Freddie's murder in a way that shows us she'll be okay. Realistically, a loved one getting beaten to death with a baseball bat by a person you're trusting to help you would pretty much break even a totally mentally healthy person for at least while so imagine how someone who is already dealing with mental illness (esp one that involves paranoia of demons that are after you and the ppl around you) is going to take it!

This is why killing off Freddie is complete sht not only to him, but it basically guarantees Effy, a character that's been around for 4 years and deserves better, is going to get a super depressing ending, too. Thanks, Skins
Old 03-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietastronaut (View Post)
Being a huge Cook/Freddie supporter - not slash (well maybe that a little bit too, but that's not relevant now), but friendship wise - I have thought a lot about the last scene they had together. The last thing Cook told Freddie (after bringing Effy to him) was, "Don't screw it up." If you think about it, the last thing Freddie did was to do what Cook told him: He did a final effort to protect Effy. He did what he thought was necessary. He really didn't have to accept John's invite - A lot of people probably wouldn't have. But tolerant as he is, he showed up to, I guess, hear what John had to say, and when he didn't liked what he was hearing, he (once again) made it clear that John should stay away from Effy. Showing up turned out to be the wrong decision obviously, but Freddie did it because he thought he had to. He was so desperate to not screw it up.
I see your point but he didn't really say anything different from when he saw him in the hospital. I thought going to see him was kind of pointless because yet again all Freddie did was tell him to stay away from Effy. Freddie knew there was something off about the guy so I found weird for him to meet him at his house.

I just hate how ridiculous those last 5 minutes were. Freddie didn't do anything to defend himself, if someone is walking up the stairs with a bat you would try to do something. He could have kicked him down the stairs to buy himself some time to break free but he did nothing which makes the whole thing seem so contrived.

| Aimee
Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I wanted a good ending for these characters. I think Effy's character is worrying me the most because she's in such an unstable condition and this will only tip her off more. I want to see her on the road to recovery
Yeah, exactly And he was killed in the absolute worst way possible, because Effy will probably blame herself for it now. Not that she wouldn't have been as devistated if he had been, say hit by a car like Tony - or died of disease like Chris. But being murdered by Effys therapist ... I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been repeated several times now, but I'm just still in shock. I really can't see a point in the way he was killed other than maybe the goal of making Effy seem even more tragic and cursed.