Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

2x07 [Effy] Episde Discussion

What is it about Effy? The mysterious one had a lot to deal with. The Stonem family home is in disarray, while Dad Jim is working abroad, Mum Anthea is also away, with the fairies; and Tony is moping after Michelle. On top of this, Effy has her GCSE art coursework deadline looming. So solving all her family’s problems, planning her academic future, as well as sorting out the ‘Tony and Michelle’, ‘Sid and Cassie’ dilemma is all she needs right now. And then on top of this, whilst also trying to maintain her reputation for being the wildest kid on the block, she’s lumbered with the new girl, spoddy Pandora.

So how weird when suddenly Pandora turns out to be best friend material. Maybe the future’s bright after all, Effy and Pandora’s future at least.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Elite Fan

I always love Effy's episodes. In this one I just really like how she's so observant and how she knows these people so well, that she can fix everything. She understands how they'll react to everything she does.

my first and only best friend

lea michele ♥ jon groff
oh my god. love her, love her
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Elite Fan

I remember not loving this episode upon first viewing. I'd have to re-watch to actually discuss it. And I wasn't a fan of Pandora with that episode. But, all of that will probably change.

kenny | credit
Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I didn't like this episode that much, and I thought I was going to because it was Effy's. I didn't like the things Effy said and did, and Pandora annoyed me a lot Even though I'm ok with her now.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Elite Fan

Pandora amused me, but only because she was only in this episode. A little of her was fine by me. And her interaction with Effy was quite comical, I think.

I loved Effy in this episode and everything that she said/did.

lea michele ♥ jon groff
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I love how we're pretty much total opposites when it comes to Skins, Emma They couldn't have picked better mods (all modesty aside!), we totally balance out the board
Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Elite Fan

And I love how we are so civil about our disagreements. And I know, the fact that we balance the board out is fantastic!

lea michele ♥ jon groff
Old 03-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Moderator Support Team

Loved the episode.

Sid/Cassie Sid/Tony, Tony/Michelle, Effy

Oh and Chris/Cassie..............loved the scene when Sid first showed up.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

OMG, the Bouncer was hilarious. Love the lollipops.

Pandora! BOO! Why does Effy have to be around annoying girls? ew.

TONY! And Michelle! And she's always with the phone. OMG, I'm glad she loves him, too.

EFFY! OMG, I love her. I love T/E. They're great siblings. I love that she got the watch fixed and sent it to Michelle. YES!

I like Effy and Sid, too. LOL.

Glad Cassie and Sid seem to be okay.

At the beginning of the ep, I thought they forgot about Cassie and Chris. Thank god they're still living together. Too awesome.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Elite Fan

this was an interesting episode. i agree, not one of my favorites but i love effy's quote about love and art. this is the effy i've always loved. shame what happened to her on S4.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Pandora in s2e7

Surely one of the most bizarre scenes in Skins in the one, in s2e7, in which Pandora tells Effy she can remove her bra without taking off her sweater, then ties a long rope around the bole of a large tree, climbs about a dozen meters high into the tree, walks out on a limb, ties the rope around her neck and [off-camera] jumps off ... ending up suspended by her feet upside-down, head-down, bra in hand, just a meter or so above the ground.

First, that would pull the girl's legs out of their sockets. Second, it appears (until it's over) to be an attempt at suicide. Third, Effy blithely ignores a girl who appears to be in the process of committing suicide.

Fourth, Pandora does this to win Effy's friendship by showing Effy that she can do something that Effy can't. Forget the bra removal. Pandora's showing Effy that she can turn Effy's potentially suicidal personality upside-down. She's everything that Effy isn't -- innocent, candid, trusting -- the perfect contrastive foil. Her name, plainly, comes from the last thing to leave Pandora's box in the Greek myth; for Effy, Pandora is hope.

Yet Pandora's appearance (like so many other good things that happen in s2e7) seems magically to follow Tony's recovery. As if Tony's recovery opens a box that releases, for Effy, hope.

In sum, in s2, Pandora seems to symbolize Effy's recovery as Tony recovers, a turning away from silence, from suicidal behavior, from the "backwardness" that Effy says characterizes her in her s1 episode, when she first speaks. But in "gen 2," that's all gone, all changed, isn't it?

Last edited by Finnegan; 02-09-2012 at 11:30 PM
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

The Effy in this episode was the one I totally fell in love with. She was unique, clever, intellectual and she understood the group dynamics from her brothers group of friends better than anyone actually inside the group.
And her dress in the nightclub scene, damn, it was flawless.

Too bad that they ruined her character in S4. Even S3 Effy is a lot more worse written than this one, although I still like S3!Effy, but you still can't compare her to this level 100 of badass.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Loyal Fan

I love this episode so much. In my top 5 favorite episodes. Effy is an genius, an amazing, beautiful genius
Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Re-watching "Gen 1" with a friend recently, I was struck by the brilliance of the script for SKINS 2/7 ("Effy"). Save possibly for 1/2 ("Cassie"), the most artfully written episode of SKINS, IMHO.

This is the only episode written by Lucy Kirkwood, an Edinburgh University drama major who graduated in 2007, and a student of Ibsen.

For me, this episode feels like the end of "Gen 1." Effy wraps up their soap opera, and, more importantly, now that Tony is well, they're all well -- they're all grown up, acting like adults. The rest of it is just saying goodbye to the irresponsibility of youth, which Chris Miles personifies, and packing Cassie and Sid off to their reward in Eden/Avalon/NewYork.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

Remember when Effy was a badass, levelheaded uniting force?