Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrd22wrld (View Post)
Yikes! What is it with writers giving the most poorly-constructed soundbites? I mean, being generous, I can understand what he's saying and I have no problem with adaptations as a rule or attempts to make "art" more accessible. But at the same time, it's incredibly condescending. And, ofc, the overall false equivalency of expensive and quality is off-putting.
Calling your audience "too dumb to understand Shakespeare" is not a good first start.

But I agree, an adaptation in an of itself isn't the issue at all. That is what an adaptation is, and frankly, we've already got Zeffirelli's faithful adaptation (and Baz's big mess). There's room for a different approach.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Like I said, I'm just glad I won't be reading subtitles throughout the whole thing.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Supreme Fan

I saw R&J yesterday. My issues lie in promotion (lack thereof in mainstream media) and some qustionable editing/cinematography choices. Overall, I enjoyed it and was extremely grateful the loud person in the back chose to stop talking.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Awwww!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

I dont find the quote condescending, maybe because I agree and know that the general population doesn't understand Shakespeare. Maybe Im a condescending bitch for asserting that but I do think it true.

The general US population, I can't attest to other countries, reads Romeo & Juliet, once, maybe twice in High School. They have a Shakespeare unit usually in eighth grade, and probably again in 9th or 10th. They read maybe excerpts or abridged versions of other plays, those versions usually dumb down the language as well.

Does that mean they can't "get" the play? Of course not, but it does mean that loads of the lines lose meaning to the general audience because they don't get the language.

Personally, I loved it. I thought there were some editing moments that could have been better but in retrospect, it might have added to the general absurdity of the rivalry. I enjoyed the acting, the scenery, the music, and the whole thing.

I actually didn't find it cheesy either except for one part that was intentionally so. I enjoyed Hailee and Douglas very much. I found them loads more compelling than Leo and Claire and I was actually sad at the end, which being honest, that hasn't happened before. And BLESS them for giving Paris importance.

I enjoyed Ed and Christian very much and enjoyed Mercutio and Tybalt's fight scene. I thought it really good, as did the rest of my theater it seemed. Oh and Paul Giamatti is a genius.

So yeah, my review there. Variety can shove it. It was good.
But I will hold as long as you like
Just promise me we'll be all right
Jacob & Liz
Old 10-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

What about Damian?!!!

I don't think people read Shakespeare here unless they got the liking from someone in the family and if we read in spanish, it'll be in spanish, nothing of the old language thing. I'd have to do some research about it.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Damian is awesome!!! He has a wonderful jovial quality but then gets all crazy angry but then the anguish, honestly I think they all did a good job of being so layered!!!

yeah, I figure it would be different for countries that speak a different language.

I honestly really thought Id have an issue with the language changes but I didnt, I ended up quite liking it. Not that Shakespeare needed it, but it did break it down.

And I loved the added scenes too, I think the original play DID need more exposition on some things and I think this did it nicely.

And tbh, I never realized how much issue I had with the 1996 version till now I dont mean to knock it but I did enjoy this version more.
Jacob & Liz
Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

You are such an Ed stan. I'm embarrassed for you.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am, I am, I am thankful he brought me to this version I dont even care, shame turns me on. This is up there with Zefirelli for me, and definitely beats Baz' version.

I also saw the trailer for the Book Thief, Amanda was pretty upset about it since the choice for the role gave us nothing, he was pretty bland in his clips. I was like, ugh Ed could have done more #EdStan
Jacob & Liz
Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Dedicated Fan

So glad you guys enjoyed it!

What about the horsEd scene?

Spoiler:

<HoodiEd>
Old 10-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Master Fan

At the theatre to see R&J! Only 4 people here but it's a Sunday mattinee. Can't wait to see Ed!

~Wendy
Old 10-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitywr (View Post)
At the theatre to see R&J! Only 4 people here but it's a Sunday mattinee. Can't wait to see Ed!
So jealous Wendy!

y'all making me want to show my '96 R+J love though. One if my fave movies ever #noregrets
Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sure they have a thread for it on the Movies board.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Master Fan

OMG ED WAS AMAZING!!!! BEST TYBALT EVER!!

~Wendy
Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedeCK (View Post)
What about the horsEd scene?
There's not much to the scene unfortunately. Ed's on the horse only in the jousting scene. You see him rip off his helmet in anger, jumps off, then he spits at the Montagues and walks away.