Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Elite Fan

Exactly. Do you guys think his being a father figure is rooted to something that was hinted in the earlier episodes - that he or he may not have been physically abused as a kid?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Luthor
I agree And he knows the team better than anyone else, I still get chills every time I watch his scene at the end of the Season 2 finale. The reason why he knows his team so well is because he truly cares about them. They all care about each other, which makes their dynamic so great.
They care about each other, and that leads to a certain element of trust. They know each other's strengths and weaknesses, and trust each other to give them support and back up to not only solve the cases but help each other personally. I liked the S2 ep where Reid is kidnapped by the unsub, and he gives clues to Hotch in the video. Reid knows the team will come for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPepper (View Post)
Exactly. Do you guys think his being a father figure is rooted to something that was hinted in the earlier episodes - that he or he may not have been physically abused as a kid?
I think that's part of it. He's watching over them, trying to protect the team, but he's also somewhat distanced from them. Hotch keeps himself protected emotionally by not forming as close bonds.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth takes time (View Post)
I think that's part of it. He's watching over them, trying to protect the team, but he's also somewhat distanced from them. Hotch keeps himself protected emotionally by not forming as close bonds.
I agree with this. Especially because I think he already feels way too connected to the team and to his job. He couldn't even bring himself to give full attention to his family because all he wanted was to go back to work.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Luthor (View Post)
I agree with this. Especially because I think he already feels way too connected to the team and to his job. He couldn't even bring himself to give full attention to his family because all he wanted was to go back to work.
He said when he was with his family he focused solely on his family, and same for work. And I can see him being able to do that, to a degree. But he has a compulsion to save others, to try and prevent people suffering as he did. And with him only seeing his family a small fraction of the time, he just doesn't have the time for a deeper emotional connection.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 AM
Elite Fan

I think maybe the fact that he was abused as a kid - gives him that emotional need to create a family of his own and protect them. Which he does - on both work and personal life.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree. In "Ashes & Dust" he went to that kid who had lost his father, and he was very supportive and wanted to help, as much as he could. I think he tries to protect the people around him, but at the same time, he never gets fully attached to anyone. I feel like there's always a barrier that keeps him from allowing people to know more about him.

Still on Hotch, I believe the team would be incredibly shaken if he left, maybe beyond repair, as far as the show goes, really. I've always felt he's not just the leader, but he's also the one who guides the team. In "Profiler, Profiled", he was the one who tried the hardest to keep Morgan "stable" during the entire ordeal, the one who wanted to protect Morgan before anything. In "Revelations/The Big Game," he was the one Reid "sent" the message to because, in Reid's on words, he knew he would understand.

I just can't help but feel that Hotch is kind of the glue that holds them all together. They're partners and friends, but Hotch is their father figure and they do need him very much

Last edited by Musidora; 01-30-2008 at 03:54 PM
Old 01-31-2008, 04:19 AM
Elite Fan

ITA. Without Hotch, there's no BAU.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Luthor (View Post)
I've always felt he's not just the leader, but he's also the one who guides the team.
When Gideon was there, he lead just as much as Hotch did. They seemed to split the job naturally, and would give out assignments and instructions equally. And Hotch seems to defer to Rossi on occasion now. But it's like Gideon and Rossi had to contribute to the leadership of the team, and Hotch knew their strengths in this department and took advantage of it. He was still the one guiding the team and in control.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantPepper (View Post)
ITA. Without Hotch, there's no BAU.
i agree... i think since gideon left hotch has not replaced him, but he's become that sort of center person everyone is connected to... i love hotchy
Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Master Fan

I finally watched this show for the first time last night, and boy, I really liked it. The chemistry between the team is awesome and so genuine.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw, Hotchy How can we not love him, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth takes time (View Post)
When Gideon was there, he lead just as much as Hotch did. They seemed to split the job naturally, and would give out assignments and instructions equally.
I agree with this, and I think they both provided the team two different kinds of guidance. Hotch was the strong leader, who knew how to solve things and get them done. Gideon was the wise, serene leader who knew so much and was contanstly teaching so much to the team. I think they're both equally caring, but I've always felt Gideon was somehow "distant" because he got so involved in every case that all he could think about was to solve them. I feel that this, in a way, made the team naturally go for Hotch more often. I'm not saying Gideon didn't care about the team, on the contrary - but I feel that he was sometimes unaware of how much of an influence he was to them, which eventually made him walk one step ahead compared to the rest of team. I'm not sure I'm getting my point across, I feel like I have so much to say on this subject but I just don't know how to put my thoughts together

curlyhead, that's great! Welcome to the Criminal Minds fandom

Last edited by Musidora; 01-31-2008 at 07:22 PM Reason: so many typos!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyhead (View Post)
I finally watched this show for the first time last night, and boy, I really liked it. The chemistry between the team is awesome and so genuine.

Cool! I know. They work so well as a unit that it's amazing to watch. Everyone plays their part, everyone is great at what they do, etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Emma Watson
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Nice to see you over here, Rebecca. This show is just awesome and I love how the team works together.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:47 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
CM newbies!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Welcome! I know, they just have a wonderful system that allows them to work together so smoothly. And the team is always mixing up the partnering at a crime scene so you get to see different interactions each episode. It gets you really hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Luthor
Hotch was the strong leader, who knew how to solve things and get them done. Gideon was the wise, serene leader who knew so much and was contanstly teaching so much to the team.
Wise, yes. Serene? Well, only when he's not working a case He's too driven, at any cost mentality, to be completely serene

Quote:
I think they're both equally caring, but I've always felt Gideon was somehow "distant" because he got so involved in every case that all he could think about was to solve them.
His focus narrows so much that he doesn't always see them. Like in Blood Hungry, Gideon doesn't really see Garcia. Despite spending the duration of the case with her, he doesn't really interact with her. Though he is appreciative enough to send her a gift on his own after the case is over. He just gets so lost in the case that he doesn't see what, or who, else is out there.

Quote:
I'm not saying Gideon didn't care about the team, on the contrary - but I feel that he was sometimes unaware of how much of an influence he was to them, which eventually made him walk one step ahead compared to the rest of team.
He doesn't seem himself as a hero, and despite his out of the box thinking, he doesn't look at himself from any other perspective to see how admired he is. Most of us don't.

I know exactly what you mean, Ana. And I agree, it's just so hard to write this all out concisely enough, with all these thoughts bouncing around in my head. I know I'm jumping all over the place in my thoughts