Elite Fan

Does he ever not wear a suit?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

https://twitter.com/CM_SetReport/sta.../photo/1/large

joe on set for Ep 2 with Mackenzie phillps and and Kim wayans
Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Elite Fan

Mackenzie Phillips is guest starring? That should be interesting!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It’s been another summer of change for the hit CBS series Criminal Minds.

At the end of last season, Paget Brewster left the series as we said goodbye to Emily Prentiss for the 2nd time in the last few seasons. As Season 8 approaches, Jeanne Tripplehorn joins the cast as Alex Blake.

With all these cast changes, Criminal Minds fans need to stretch their brains to remember that Joe Mantegna also was once part of the cast-shuffle. He joined the series during the 3rd season after the departure of Mandy Patinkin (as Jason Gideon). But after 5 years on the series, Mantegna feels right at home.

I had a chance to talk to the star, who plays David Rossi. He talked about the cast shake-up and the upcoming 8th season. Joe Mantegna also talks about that one scene during last season finale. Is it all what it seems? Find out now:

Adam: Season 8 kicks off with the team coping with the departure of Emily Prentiss and the addition of a new team member. What can you tell us about the first few episodes? How much time has passed since the Finale?

Joe: We usually use the normal 10-week hiatus period as the time off we have between our final season’s episode and our first episode of the new season. I think it helps the continuity of the show to do that whenever possible. The first few episodes will help our new cast member Jean acclimate.

Adam: The BAU is no stranger to changes. How does the team warm up to newcomer Alex Blake (played by Jeanne Tripplehorn)?

Joe: There is a period of adjustment when a new member joins the team, as there was when I joined 5 years ago. I think our writers do a fine job of making that transition as easy as possible and enjoyable to the viewers.

Adam: Tell us more about Alex Blake. What kind of relationship or interaction will she have with David Rossi?

Joe: As to what Alex Blake’s relationship or interaction with Rossi is, is yet to be determined. I think it’s wise to not force too much info in too quickly. Over the season we’ll see how Jeanne’s character of Alex establishes herself with all the team.

Adam: Last season, David Rossi was involved in a storyline with his ex-wife Carolyn. Tell me about the extremely tough story involving her asking him to assist in her suicide.

Joe: I had asked for a storyline that would involve one of my ex-wives as we established early on I was a triple divorcee. I thought the writers did a great job of dealing with a very serious subject, and also gave me a chance to explore the private side of my character which I think the fans enjoy when they’ve invested this many years in watching a show.

Adam: During last season’s finale, we saw David Rossi walk out of a hotel with Erin Strauss. She was there to enjoy more than his cooking, right? (laughs). Are we going to see that relationship evolve?

Joe: The scene with Erin may or may not have been a red herring. Nothing was made about it then or since. Sometimes you have to let the fans have something to ponder and wonder about. I think as confused as Reid and Garcia were with noticing that happen, it’s o.k. if the fans come to their own conclusions about that. Not sure what, if any evolution of that scene is going to develop.

Adam: I hear during Season 8 we’ll be introduced to a season-long unsub. Tell me more about the season-arc.

Joe: I’m as in the dark about a season- long unsub as the fans are. Let’s wait and see.

Adam: Will David Rossi be involved in his own personal arc? What can you tell us about his direction in Season 8?

Joe: There will be an episode that I have been pushing for in season 8 that will address Rossi’s past in the military. I personally am very involved with military affairs, and I think the upcoming episode will give me a chance to express some personal feelings about that topic.

Adam: Switching gears here, I can’t talk to you without asking about voicing Fat Tony on The Simpsons. You’ve been on The Simpsons since 1991. First off tell me about being a part of such an iconic series.

Joe: I started Fat Tony as a one-time gig over 21 years ago. Needless to say it’s turned into my longest running character. I enjoy doing it as much now as I did the first day.

Adam: Is it tough juggling Criminal Minds, The Simpsons, plus other things you might be working on?

Joe: After 5 seasons on Criminal Minds I’ve grown fairly adept at juggling my schedule so nothing is short-changed. The Simpsons involves very little of my time so I can squeeze in a few episodes of Fat Tony in each year with no problem.

Adam: David Rossi vs. Fat Tony . Who wins? Go! (laughs)

Joe: Let’s call it a draw. I wouldn’t want to be at war with myself!

Adam: Back to Criminal Minds season 8, any big guest-stars coming our way?

Joe: Our casting people are great, so I anticipate some wonderful guest stars coming up. I think the quality of our show reflects on why we are able to get wonderful guest actors to come work with us.

Adam: Give me one phrase to get fans pumped about the new season. What can we expect in Season 8? One phrase.

Joe: I come from a background of ensemble theater where the ability to work together over an extended time with the same people only means things should only improve year after year. We all take our work very seriously, so there is no reason this should not be our best season ever.

Adam: Finally I ask this to all my interviewees. What have you been watching on TV lately?

Joe: I watch a lot of the Travel Channel and the Military Channel. I also host a show on the Outdoor Channel called GUN STORIES which shows the history of historical firearms. Mix in sports and news and a few Seinfeld re-runs about sums up my t.v. watching.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Elite Fan

That's awesome! Thanks for that Matt!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Joe .,as a lot of you know is busy with military entertainment and a Gun TV show relaity type, as a frequent guest, Never saw it .

Criminal Minds ‏@CrimMinds_CBS
Check out Teachers Rock, a concert charity event benefiting teachers & edu 2nite 8/7c with special guest @JoeMantegna! http://bit.ly/PtTRoS
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

ep 8 is his big Episode goes into Rossies Military past ,told it will be emotional episode for him
Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds like it will be good. I love getting back history on the characters!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

"You guys should guest lecture together. Oh, wait."

Rossi, don't ever change
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Talking Reid and Alex ?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeap. One of my favorite moments of the premiere
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Master Fan

That cracked me up when he was talking with Spencer & Alex! Rossi is never afraid to point out the obvious and load it with sarcasm.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love his face when he sees Strauss and it's all 'I told you all we should have gone home' <333
Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ana* (View Post)
I love his face when he sees Strauss and it's all 'I told you all we should have gone home' <333
The implications behind that line....or the double entendre!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread