Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 08:43 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

Episode Discussion - 15x01: "Under the Knife" + 15x02: "Awakenings" (2 Hour Season Premiere) [Airs January 8, 2020]

15x01:
"Under the Knife"

15x02:
"Awakenings"

Synopsis
“Under The Knife” – The BAU team investigates an UnSub with striking similarities to Rossi’s latest obsession, “The Chameleon,” a.k.a. Everett Lynch (Michael Mosley), who nearly killed him and then disappeared, on back-to-back episodes of the 15th and final season premiere of CRIMINAL MINDS, Wednesday, Jan. 8 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

“Awakenings” – With a member of the BAU in the hospital, the team searches for Everett Lynch (Michael Mosley), and his daughter, Grace (Alex Jennings). Also, Spencer has a meaningful visit with his mother, Diana Reid (Jane Lynch), while she’s experiencing a period of lucidity, on CRIMINAL MINDS, Wednesday, Jan. 8 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Promo

Promotional Photos

15x01: "Under the Knife"
Written By: Christopher Barbour
Directed By: Nelson McCormick

15x02: "Awakenings"
Written By: Stephanie SenGupta
Directed By: Alec Smight

Last edited by jls2971; 01-02-2020 at 08:42 AM
jls2971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

2 episodes. Yay.

derek shepherd | charmed | borrowed heaven | 💚 𝓳𝒶𝒿𝑒
runawaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you for this, we have waited so long for new episodes even though they’re the last ones
Old 01-02-2020, 07:48 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

Less than a week to go!

I'm going to add the promo photos to the OP. There are just so many that I didn't have time to add them when I created the thread!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I have wrestling now on Wednesday, 8-10pm.. looks like I will be DVR wrestling
Old 01-02-2020, 10:26 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

Here are the sneak peeks we have so far (they're also in the Rossi's notebook thread)

Promo pics are now on the OP
Old 01-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

thank you for posting

derek shepherd | charmed | borrowed heaven | 💚 𝓳𝒶𝒿𝑒
runawaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Once today is over , I will be 100% Focused on the final season! Saw few mentions last night during Blue Bloods
Old 01-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

Another short promo

Old 01-07-2020, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 01-08-2020, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 01-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

I won’t be able to watch live. Hoping to watch later tonight or tomorrow morning
Old 01-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

OK I’ve shed some tears, JJ JJ .. Reid /JJ
Been on the edge of my seat . See Rossi show he still has it , always one step ahead .
Old 01-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

OK it’s been two days, I guess I’m only one tothe watch the Season premiere already.
Had time to think , The uncomfortable first scenes with JJ and Reid . To Rossi Getting yelled at for working on a case he wasn’t supposed to., Which in the end turned out to be very fluid. Bodies dropping, he is dealing with old case , when intern he was on to the right person.
Ok Do not shoot or Seriously injure JJ anymore that’s it I Can’t Be having emotional breakdowns while watching my criminal minds...
As I Posted Spencer and his mother was also a very emotional . Yet uplifting scene.
My father who is 96 deals with Alzheimer’s To think he could take a pill or pills and even for a month be back to his old self would be really great..
Old 01-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

I actually watched this yesterday.

Thoughts on the first episode:
I thought the episode was pretty good.

I did like the cute/funny moment near the beginning where Prentiss gives Garcia her pen that she found in lost and found. It was just a simple moment but I thought it was nice.

I get why Prentiss couldn't be totally on board with Rossi and was calling him out, but I felt she was a bit too hard on him at times. I guess that's another thing that frustrates me and someone else on another site pointed it out: there can be some inconsistency when it comes to how they handle cases that are personal for team members. Sometimes the team is ready to go all in even if they don't have a lot to go off of (like with JJ in The Tall Man last season), but then other times they dismiss the team member who is personally involved and tell them they are too involved and there's not enough evidence to go off of, like they did with Rossi in this episode. However, with that said, I also liked the tension that there was. We don't see tension between the team too much (especially in these later seasons), so it was a nice change of pace.

I liked the twist of thinking Luke and Simmons showing up at the house and we think they show up at the house where the unsub is, but it actually ends up being empty and Rossi is actually the one to show up where the unsub is.

I also like the friendship between Simmons and Luke and thought it was nice that Luke threw a baby shower for Matt and Kristy! I also liked the little conversations between different team members during the party. And I liked how they mentioned that Mendoza and Will were there even though we didn't actually see them. See, it's so easy to add a quick mention to explain why we don't see someone, but doesn't totally dismiss them.

I had to LOL when the doctor was sewing together the body parts, and it was clearly fake. It looked like ham or something

I was a bit worried since we heard there would be some awkwardness between JJ and Reid, but other than a few small moments it wasn't bad. At least they handled it better than they did in Proof! But also, of course they were constantly paired together throughout the episode since there was drama there.

I really enjoyed the interactions between Rossi and Reid. It was nice to see Reid not ignore Rossi when he seemed to be too personally involved, but he wasn't rude or mean when pointing this out and did so respectfully and in a professional way. And the scene with Rossi and Reid in Rossi's office was also nice. It showed the respect they both have for each other.

JJ and Reid never learn! DON'T SPLIT UP! Maybe they shouldn't be paired together anymore Something bad always seems to happen when they are in the field together.

The ending with JJ was probably the worst part of the episode for me and was definitely very frustrating and disappointing. There was no reason JJ should have taken her eyes of the unsubs to pick up a gun that was safely out of reach from them. She should have radioed Reid to say she got them and then kept her gun pointed at them to prevent them from doing anything. Instead she takes her eyes off of them, bends over to pick up the gun and turns an exposed part of her body to the unsubs. It was a rookie move and I have a hard time buying JJ would make that kind of mistake.

Also, of course Grace, who has probably never shot a gun before based on her reaction, managed to hit JJ in the small gap between her straps. Really? And of course it was that shot that caused the most problems.

I think everyone on the team got some good material and everyone contributed, so that was nice.

Overall, a good episode and a good start to the season.

Thoughts on the second episode:
This episode felt a bit rushed. JJ got shot, coughed up blood, flatlined, had surgery, a nurse told Reid that JJ might have neurological damage, and then JJ woke up in the span of 25 minutes. I get that more time passed on the show, but for us viewers it all unfolded very fast and took away some suspense. I was actually a bit surprised they didn't drag it out a bit longer.

I wish they didn't need to have JJ get shot in order to resolve the situation with her and Reid, but I get that when bad stuff happens that's when we realize what's important and that we should say what's on our minds. Same with Prentiss and Rossi. It was nice to see Prentiss apologize to Rossi. It sucks that it took JJ getting shot and almost dying, but again, it's often in those situations when we tend to reevaluate stuff.

I still wish they could have had JJ get shot without making her look like a rookie making a big mistake. And based on how fast everything got resolved, it seemed like the way JJ got shot was just more dramatic than it needed to be. They could have still had her get shot and injured but didn't need to go as far as having her almost die and cough up blood, especially since she was in pretty good shape a little less than half way through the episode.

It would have been nice to see a bit more concern for JJ from the team. We got a few seconds of Rossi and Prentiss in the beginning and Garcia being worried and visiting her later, but a little more would have been nice. I forget, but after JJ woke up, did anyone on the team (besides Prentiss who was at the hospital), say "I heard JJ's awake and doing well" or anything like that? I don't think they did. I get they still had a case, but still. The team went to the hospital in Demons when Reid and Morgan were there, and the case was still sort of ongoing.

While I didn't completely agree with the direction they took the JJ and Reid story, I'm glad they wrapped it up and since they put it out there in the season 14 finale, this was probably one of the best ways they could wrap it up that would satisfy the most people. I don't necessarily think I would buy Reid being JJ's first love, and I personally never really saw JJ having feelings for Reid in those earlier seasons, but I felt they left it in a way that shows JJ is happy with the life she currently has and wouldn't change it, so I appreciate that.

It was also nice to see JJ tell Will she loves him and the boys and their family, and that they're the ones she needs in her life. I felt that was also a nice little closure on her confession and loving Reid. Yes, she loves him, but she also loves Will and he is the one she chose to have with her by her side. The way I see it, JJ loved Reid but then met Will and although she'll always have love for Reid and loves him as a best friend, she's in love with Will and he's the person she needs by her side.

I liked the scenes with Reid and his mom and it was nice to see Reid get some time with his mom while she thinking clearly. He deserved that. I think she gave him some good advice too. I don't particularly like the idea that Reid has been pining for JJ after all these years and is still waiting for a future with her even though she's married. I like to think this idea of a "what could be future" is on Reid's mind since it's new and since JJ confessed now he's wondering about what could have been.

Didn't see Lynch killing Grace coming, so that was a good twist.

The scenes with Roberta and Rossi were nice. Even though she has her issues, you can tell she loved her granddaughter and I wonder if Grace being killed by Lynch will have Roberta be more willing to help the BAU.

A pretty good episode. I'm not sure if I liked this one or the first one more, but both were pretty good episodes.
Reply   Post New Thread