Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Edward Allen Bernero Appreciation #1 - B/c he drags Third Watch fans to this board!

Welcome to the 1st Ed Bernero Appreciation Thread!

Edward Allen Bernero is an American television writer, producer and director. He was born on August 29 in 1962 in Chicago, Illinois. His father was a union truck driver and Bernero himself became a Chicago police officer in 1986. He worked mostly in the 020th district (Foster Avenue) for 10 years. The 10 years on the job as a Chicago police officer had taken a psychological toll, and Bernero felt as though he had fundamentally changed as a human because all he would see were bad things. It was this introspection that turned his interest to the process of catching serial killers. Ed Bernero did not like being a cop in Chicago and believed his job was eating away at his soul. He worked the midnight shift, and began writing when his wife, Barbara, and children were at work and school just to have something to do during the day. As he honed his skills, he began sending scripts to Hollywood. Although he was still a cop, an NBC executive read one of his scripts, called him and suggested he do a television spec. Bernero quit the police force and moved his wife, Barbara, their three children and dog to Los Angeles in October 1997. His first job in Hollywood was as a writer for an episode of F/X: The Series (November 1997). He then met with Steven Bochco and David Milch, and was asked to write an episode of NYPD Blue. He was then hired to write for Brooklyn South and subsequently worked as story editor for Trinity. When that show was canceled, John Wells asked him to collaborate on a new show - Third Watch. When Third Watch ended, he made deal with Paramount and received a script for Quantico, created by Jeff Davis, as part of the deal. After the pilot for the new show was filmed in Vancouver and the series, renamed Criminal Minds, was picked up by CBS, he became the showrunner after the second episode aired when Jeff Davis left the project.

About writing for Criminal Minds

Edward Allen Bernero said about the show that they also take story ideas from real cases, but then they try to make it as different as possible. He also stated that they tone the cases down because in reality they were much worse.

source.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

INTERVIEW

Criminal Minds' executive producer Edward Allen Bernero offers his opinion on what makes his show a success
and details what he looks for when he's hiring a staff writer.

YouTube - Criminal Minds' showrunner Ed Bernero on what he looks for when hiring a TV staff writer

ED BERNERO'S NEW YEAR'S GREETING

2009. When Criminal Minds started, there weren’t a whole lot of people that would have bet we’d be ringing in 2009 at all, much less comfortably in the top ten. But here we are, bustling along, still getting the opportunity to make a show with a family we all love.

And we only get to do it because of the fans and, more specifically, our amazing “Fanatics”, who support us week in and week out. Always know that we immensely appreciate every one of you and your amazing support of the staff, cast and crew.

We all read the blog and the updates and sometimes it’s a topic of conversation the next day on set (for example, the beauty shot of Andre, our effects guy, got a lot of mileage since he’s nowhere near that pretty in real life!).

One of the greatest (and most unexpected way back in 2004 when we were just starting out) aspects of my Criminal Minds experience has been the chance to get to know the people that watch the show. Thanks for being you.

I’d like to wish all of you an amazing New Year with loads of love and happiness. And always remember: Dream big and then GO FOR IT!

Much love and respect –

Ed

source.

FANS

001. Wildfire Girl (Karen)
002. hunee (Lexi)
003. +supernova+ (Susan)
004. little_profiler (Catharina)
005. Mindhunter (Ana)
006. Cursed Mind (Rella)

Last edited by Musidora; 01-13-2009 at 07:05 PM
Wildfire Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

love the title! third watch will always pwn
i never learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's true ... and I love the authenticy that EAB brings, with his past as a beat cop. For me, Third Watch, and even Criminal Minds, have such a "real" and gritty life like feel.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

I had no idea he created Third Watch. Very cool!

Are you gonna do a supporters list? Cause if so, add me! He seems like a great guy! I love reading his blogs.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I love all the writers of Criminal Minds not only for the great episodes they deliver. And it's a pity the networks don't seem to realize that.
I especially appreciate the CM writers, and Bernero in particular, for their closeness to the fans. Bernero always takes the time to write letters to the fans and inform them about strike news or just thank them for their support. And they deserve the support of the fans!
Booth/Brennan Hodgins/Angela Ronon/Keller John/Teyla Connor/Abby Becker/Jess
little_profiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

That's cool that he's worked with both shows
Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ed deserves more love! I revamped the entire opening, so we can start fresh this year
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Can I be added please?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You've been added, Rella
Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you

He has written and produced so many wonderful episodes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

He's very talented, and incredibly nice to the fans of the show <3 He deserves all the success and recognition
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Elite Fan

I love Ed! Has anyone else noticed that ALOT of the guest stars on CM are people who were main characters on Third Watch?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've only noticed one familiar face, because I didn't watch Third Watch. Was it good?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindhunter (View Post)
I've only noticed one familiar face, because I didn't watch Third Watch. Was it good?
I liked it. You can find like ninety percent of the episodes from all six seasons on You Tube if you want to watch.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'd prefer to download them, but then again, there are quite a few seasons, right? I'll need a while to gather the energy to download the episodes and catch up with them.