Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 05:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Writing Process #1: Everyone has one, what's yours?

Writing Process.

Do you plan your stories/novels out? Do you just take things as you go? Outlines?
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Master Fan

I pretty much never outline my stories. I know what the story's about, I know the main character's name, that's about it. I just let the story come to me as I write.

Demi Lovato ♥♥♥♥ Britney Spears ♥♥♥ One Direction ♥♥ Fifth Harmony (campaign) (met on 2/23/14 aka the best day of my life) ♥
Anna-wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

I sometimes do a general outline. More like a sentence what I want the chapter to be about, and I just go from there.

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 12-18-2013 at 04:53 AM
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Passionate Fan

Sometimes I will do an outline in a notebook though recently I have been doing a story on one of my facebook pages off the top of my head to do with two characters from the TV series Covert Affairs.
the handsome vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Elite Fan

I try to do outlines, but I have to have a decent grasp on the characters and world first. The outlines are just a way for me to be more organized and ask harder questions (world-building) but its never set in stone.
Tomorrow's skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Extreme Fan

I always start by thinking about what I want to happen during the story. However, I can't help myself from changing things over and over again, so it's always a bit of a mess when it comes to my final ideas.
Countess. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Nothing wrong with changing things a bit. But I usually know where it will start and end, I think things in between can be a little flexible.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Supreme Fan

It honestly depends on what I'm writing. For fanfiction and original fiction and/or blog or poetry pieces, I just write. Sometimes I do research if I need to while I am writing, but I generally do not create an outline.

For scriptwriting, it's different. I assume it's mostly because I'm working towards an MFA in Screenwriting and outlining is generally part of the grade and process. But my process varies with that, too. I don't like being pigeon-holed or told how to outline a script (even when I've had to follow the professor's requirements for outlining). Sometimes it's better if I create my own 'beat sheet' of scenes I know I want to happen just in a few general prose sentences, then construct script scenes from there. On the other hand, sometimes having a detailed outline really does help.

It really depends.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

My first one I planned and I gave up midway through and will probably go back to it at some point.

However, my second idea I just had an idea of a war in another dimension in my mind and I'm just going from there. I've started it off in our world, so that I have more to write about in the main character getting there.

I am undecided about which tense to write in though.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm trying to work on this book, so I can move on to some of my better ideas
Old 11-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A Writer's Gratitude List: 12 Things to be Thankful For | LitReactor
Quote:
A Writer's Gratitude List: 12 Things to be Thankful For

Thanksgiving approaches, and it's time to give thanks. As writers, we have a unique set of items to be thankful for. Having trouble finding that gratitude inside yourself? Maybe this list of writerly items will help steer you in the right direction.

Merciful editors and publishers

I used to think my poor punctuality and deadline-related anxiety were abnormal. Then I started working as an editor and discovered how many writers are habitually behind schedule. Let's give thanks to the merciful editors and publishers who keep giving us work despite all of our shenanigans.

Your ****ty life

Seriously. It gives you something to write about. As our dear friend Chuck Palahniuk said:

Have your adventures, make your mistakes, and choose your friends poorly—all these make for great stories.

Your drug of choice

Whether you deal with the anxiety of writing through alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, Minesweeper, M&Ms, or YouTube, it's time to give thanks. I'm not saying you should keep your addiction around, mind you. Just, so long as you're doing it, you may as well be grateful for its advantages.

Your honest readers

It can be intimidating for readers to give honest criticism. When they do, though, it gives us the opportunity to improve our work—and at the end of the day, the quality of the work should matter far more than the writer's infamously sensitive ego.

Because ... you know, it's nice to have that sensitive ego stroked from time to time.

Your writing tools

Whether you have a fancy journal and a $200 pen, a laptop with a well-hammered keyboard, or a mechanical pencil and the napkins from your local Denny's, your tools are what allow you to transform yourself from a dreamer into a creator.

Good books

We live in an era where countless books are at our fingertips—through digital and brick-and-mortar libraries, through hand-me-downs and shameless piracy. These are the stories that shape us, inspire us, and teach us how to write effectively. Despite the potential frustrations of hunting for a worthwhile read, there's good news: This world has countless great books for you to dig into. A few of my favorites? American Gods by Neil Gaiman, Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, Echo by Francesca Lia Block, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald—and these are just the first few that came to mind. What are your top picks?

Great stories in any medium

I'm going to be honest with you: I spent all day yesterday binge-watching Agents of Shield. (It made its way to Netflix! Huzzah!) We live in a world where that's possible: A world where we can immerse ourselves in stories from a variety of mediums. Graphic novels, television shows, radio dramas, movies, and so many other things expand our imagination and teach us what great stories look like.

Your writing community

Whether your community is comprised of the writers you met in college, the group you ran into at your local library, or just the rag-tag group of online weirdos you met through a chance encounter, that community of writers is vital. Your fellow aspirants will help challenge you, motivate you, and share in your victories and losses.

Your support system

Beyond your writing community, your friends, family, and loved ones are a crucial part of making your writing life function—even if they can't totally understand all your crazy.

Being so great at starting projects

Your mind is overflowing with ideas that stir your passions and motivate you to get started.

It's okay. Some day you'll learn how to finish projects, too.

The opportunity to fail

As writers, the scope of our vision, the intensity of our ambition, and the difficulty of our task makes success a distant goal. It's a goal we have the opportunity to move toward, though, as we fail and fail again. Each failure brings us a step closer, teaches us more about ourselves and our craft, and gives us the chance to say—no matter the outcome—that we courted the void, reached into the ether, and fought to weave the wisps of dreams into a tangible reality.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for posting that.

April
Drunk On You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's very cool.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Anyone use Scrivener to plot out their story? Or even use it as a processor?
Reply   Post New Thread