Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
New Fan

The Virgin Suicides

awesome book sad thought but great movie!
iloveoc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Master Fan

Well I've raed and watched both, must say I preferred the book. This isn't saying much though; I found the book weird and uncomfortable and at times I had to force myself to read on, but there was always that something that compelled me to read on. Maybe it was Jeffrey Eugenides' writing (I have read many books, but his prose is the closest to poetry I've ever read) - it was beautiful and every page was a joy to read if only for the way he put words on the page. And it's a book that you remember, no? I read it years ago and until now I haven't forgotten it yet. Evocative, that's what I'd call it.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:16 AM
New Fan

I've seen the movie and it was quite well...it was definitely deep. It's one of those movies that you just don't forget. I'm sure the book would be the same - my friend read the book and she said it was similar. It's on my list of books to read.
goddessofthedarkesthour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Addicted Fan

Jeffrey Eugenides is my favourite author. And that's saying a lot considering he's only published The Virgin Suicides and Middlesex.

The Virgin Suicides: It's hard to explain to someone in words what this novel is like. It's a tagic story, yet it's so beautifully told. You don't particulary like the characters that much, but you can't help being entranced by the world they live in. And I agree with goodnightboy, his prose is very poetic, but not to the point where it's ovewhelming.

I'd recommend Middlesex to anyone that enjoyed The Virgin Suicides as well. It's a different type of book, just as good, if not better. The characters are very well developed, the settings incredibly vivid and the story unlike anything you've probably read that's come out in the last few years.
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Elite Fan

I've never read Middlesex because it seemed very creepy to me, not that the Virgin Suicides isn't creepy though. I love this book and it really is one of my favorites if not my favorite at this moment. I thought the movie was okay but it didn't quite measure up.