Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Elite Fan

Emily Griffin Something Borrowed/Something Blue #1: "Lines between right and wrong can be blurry"

Books by Emily Giffin!

The movie is coming out soon and although I read these books over 3 years ago, they are still some of my favorite books. I definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't read them yet.

Something Borrowed:

Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancé.

Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend.

Something Blue

From the New York Times bestselling author of Something Borrowed comes a novel that shows how someone with a ‘perfect life' can lose it all—and then find everything.

Darcy Rhone thought she had it all figured out: the more beautiful the girl, the more charmed her life. Never mind substance. Never mind playing by the rules. Never mind karma.

But Darcy's neat, perfect world turns upside down when her best friend, Rachel, the plain-Jane “good girl,” steals her fiancé, while Darcy finds herself completely alone for the first time in her life . . . with a baby on the way.

Darcy tries to recover, fleeing to her childhood friend living in London and resorting to her tried-and-true methods for getting what she wants. But as she attempts to recreate her glamorous life on a new continent, Darcy finds that her rules no longer apply. It is only then that Darcy can begin her journey toward self-awareness, forgiveness, and motherhood.

Something Blue is a novel about one woman's surprising discoveries about the true meaning of friendship, love, and happily-ever-after. It's a novel for anyone who has ever, even secretly, wondered if the last thing you want is really the one thing you need.
Touldengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Supreme Fan

I've read one of her other books, Love the One You're With - it was an interesting read but I found myself really not liking the main character

And I think I started either Something Borrowed or Something Blue but didn't get very far into it.

I didn't realize they were making a movie

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Elite Fan

Something Borrowed starts off sort of slow, but it gets really interesting. Personally, I love Something Blue wayyyy more. I know some people prefer the former because I think the main character is more relatable to a lot of people. As for me, when I read the second book, I found myself more invested in the character change and development. Darcy <333 I love complex characters so to read a character change, it gets me every time.

I heard Baby Proof is really good from her series too.

and yes, a movie starring Kate Hudson, John Krasinski, Ginnifer Goodwin <3 gah! obviously it wont be as good as the books, but im excited nonetheless.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've read these two books as well as Baby Proof. I also bought Love the One You're With last year because it was on sale, but I still haven't read it.

I find her books interesting, since they do ask pertinent questions on relationships and friendships. I agree some of her main characters are hard to like, but it also makes them more realistic to some degree at the same time. Both Darcy and Rachel have done terrible things, so I wasn't 'rooting' for anyone in particular. Both had their good and bad/annoying moments, but Darcy was the one who redeemed herself the most in the end. The only character I can say I liked consistently was Ethan.

I like Ginnifer Goodwin as Rachel, but I'll have to wait for the trailer.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Elite Fan

Darcy is my fave. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't really like her in the first book because i thought she was so self involved and so selfish and but at the same time, i also didnt like rachel all that much. i tried to put myself in her shoes and it made me feel for her, but nonetheless, what she did was wrong and for that alone, it was hard to root for anyone at all.
in the second book, i felt it was very easy to root for darcy. she grew as a character, learned from the past and changed her entire outlook on life. I finished the book and was so proud of her. her and ethan are sweet as hell and an actual rootable couple.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree, I think she definitely she definitely grew the most out of the characters and she learned to become a better person along the way. Darcy/Ethan were cute together and I really liked the ending. It was kinda annoying to read the first half of her book though. It's one thing to get Rachel's point of view on how vapid Darcy is in the first book, but you find out her description's on point pretty fast... She definitely got better though.

My favorite book was Baby Proof. Ethan appears in one scene.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Elite Fan

One of my favourite authors. I loved Something Blue and Love the One You're With

I think what is great about her books is that you can actually relate to them and they don't seem ridiculously far-fetched.

I haven't read Something Borrowed and I don't think I want to, maybe I should have read it before I read Something Blue, I found myself adoring Darcy as a character even though she was far from perfect and I found it very hard to forgive Rachel's betrayal. So now I don't want to read a book about Rachel's character, especially knowing what she does at the beginning of Something Blue, I wish I could get over that as I'm sure it's a great book.

Quote:
he only character I can say I liked consistently was Ethan.
Agreed.

Vicky

Last edited by Brucas4life; 11-24-2010 at 11:51 AM
Brucas4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, rachel is very hard to root for because what she did is so wrong, but in Something Borrowed, u don't like Darcy all that much either (at least I don't). And although I will never agree with rachel's actions, I don't consider Darcy much of a good friend to her either. They are both to blame and by the end of Something Blue, I am very satisfied with their happy endings. It was realistic in the sense that Darcy and Rachel are no longer great friends, but they both KNOW they were partly to blame in the end of their friendship too! They moved on and grew apart, but learned to accept they are better off for each other as acquaintances with a lifetime of history, as opposed to friends that are constantly in competition of each other.
I find the books are sorta unequal and unfair to Rachel. Darcy got her redeeming story, whereas the only thing Rachel got was an excuse to go along with her betrayal. It doesn't make me like Rachel, but I do end up loving Darcy...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What did you all think of the casting for the movie?

I should read Love the One You're With.

I also liked that the conclusion wasn't sugarcoated, but very realistic with them not really being friends anymore. They were poor friends to begin with. Darcy moving on and forgiving Rachel, Rachel wanting her forgiveness to alleviate any guilt...they were all at fault, even Dex.

Quote:
I find the books are sorta unequal and unfair to Rachel. Darcy got her redeeming story, whereas the only thing Rachel got was an excuse to go along with her betrayal.
That's an interesting point. But part of why Darcy was able to get such a redeeming story was because she was so selfish/terrible at the beginning, cheating on Dex herself. She couldn't get any worse. Whereas Rachel was always depicted as a hard working person from the beginning, who felt second string, but decided to put herself first for once. That's probably the growth in her character. I do feel that the reason why Darcy was written the way she was, was to make people like Rachel more. It would definitely had been really hard to like Rachel if Darcy was being nice at the beginning.

That's why I liked having the 2 books and point of views. They made interesting comparisons.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Elite Fan

yeah, i do agree with it, but i think although the first book was supposed to be more of a positive book about rachel, it just makes me see them as equally bad friends to each other. Even while Darcy was all those things to Rachel, I found myself annoyed that Rachel just took it and yes, that was a complete character growth, but one in which she went through by sleeping with her "friend's" fiance. And Dex he was far from innocent too. By the time I read the second book, I disliked Dex a lot less, just because Darcy was cheating on him at the same time.

I also think the reason I never grew to love Rachel and I did grow to love Darcy was because of the types of character growths both characters go through. Although Rachel learns a good life lesson and finally lets herself be happy, it doesn't affect the reader all that much. What I mean by that is that Darcy had to be depicted as some sort of wench in order to try and make what Rachel did look a little okay, but in reality, it's not okay. Darcy was a bad friend, but Rachel should have cut her loose. Also, Rachel had the perfect opportunity to be with Dex before introducing them, but didn't. Anyways, this whole thing should have been avoided the way it went down. Darcy starts off as a bad friend. We see her at her worst and then we slowly get to see her change. It just feels so different. I saw Rachel feeling bad for her actions, but not much change other than the fact that she changes to put herself first. Darcy changes to put others first and IMO makes for a far more interesting read.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Elite Fan

Well said.

Can someone explain to me what they are doing for the film? Are they making both books into a film and combining them? Or are they doing them as separate films?

Vicky
Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Elite Fan

i heard it's just going to be one, which i can understand. the first half of the second book is just Darcy's perspective of the same events that occurred in the first book.

I really like the actors they picked for the parts, although I always imagine Rachel as a little more harsh than Ginnifer Goodwin.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for clearing it up.

Anyone know when is it due to come out?

Vicky
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

May 6th, in the US.

I thought they were planning on two movies though, if the first did well. That's what I've read, anyways.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Elite Fan

oh really? that would be amazing then! i would hope so!
Reply   Post New Thread