Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Shantaram

I'm not sure if the book is very well known or not, but I don't think it is, which really makes me upset. It's amazing and epic, one of the best books I've ever read and one of my favorites, if not my number 1 favorite book. Honestly, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't read this book. It's called Shantaram and is written by Gregory David Roberts.

It's a story about a man who escapes from prison in Australia and makes his way to India and Bombay as a fugitive. The book mostly takes place in Bombay, where he falls in love with a girl, and with India. He becomes a doctor in the slums, joins the mafia in Bombay, and it's a really interesting read. There's so much about life and philosophy, and it's a book about everything. And did I mention that it's based on the author's life? That's another thing that's truly amazing about this book.
There's such rich description of Bombay...the sights, the smells, the sounds, the places. I could picture everything, and now I really want to visit India!

I recommend this book to everyone, but please don't let the size intimidate you! I'll admit that I was a bit intimidated at first because it's a 900+ page book, but it's so good that you won't want it to end, and you'll eat it right up! (I finished it in less than a week.) It will grab you by the first page and you'll have trouble putting it down. I know that there were many nights where I was just going to read a chapter and then stayed up reading for hours and hours.

So don't let this book pass you by, go out to the book store or library and get it!!

Save the Johnny Depp Board
natalie8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Nobody?

Save the Johnny Depp Board
natalie8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Dedicated Fan

Oh i have read about a quarter of it. It's a really good book but I stopped reading it during exam preperations i think and never got around to reading it again, but i definatley will.
"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe...and...he's wonderful"

Rebelious?Nah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread