Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Shannara Chronicles | Terry Brooks #1: Welcome to the world of elves, magic and kingdoms.

The Shannara Chronicles | TERRY BROOKS

Long ago, wars of ancient Evil ruined the world and forced mankind to compete with many other races - gnomes, trolls, dwarfs, and elves. In peaceful Shady Vale, half-elfin Shea Ohmsford knows little of such troubles until giant, forbidding Allanon, with strange Druidic powers, reveals a supposedly-dead Warlock Lord plots to destroy the world.

The sole weapon against this Power of Darkness is the Sword of Shannara, only usable by a true heir of Shannara. On Shea, last of the bloodline, rests the hope of all the races. Soon a Skull Bearer, dread minion of Evil, flies into the Vale to kill Shea. To save the Vale, Shea flees, drawing the Skull Bearer after him

An ancient evil threatens the Elves and the Races of Man. The Ellcrys, the tree of long-lost Elven magic, is dying, unravelling the spell of Forbidding that locks the hordes of Demons away from the world. Already the fearsome Reaper is free. Only by quickening a new seed in the mysterious Bloodfire can the Ellcrys be reborn and the Forbidding made whole. Amberle, a young Elven girl, is chosen to undertake the quest for the Bloodfire.

The way is perilous, though. Other demons besides the Reaper stalk the land. Amberle will need a protector if she is to prevail, and Wil Ohmsford, heir to the elven magics of Shannara, is chosen to accompany her. Amberle's quest and the fate of the Four Lands will rest on Wil's ability to unlock the magic of the mysterious Elfstones of Shannara.

Horror stalks the Four Lands. The Ildatch, immemorial book of evil spells, has stirred to eldritch life, sending its foul Mord Wraiths to accomplish at last Mankind's destruction. Once again Allanon, ancient Druid Protector of the Races, must seek the help of a descendant of Jerle Shannara. Brin, daughter of Wil Ohmsford, born with the magic of the Wishsong which alone can open a way to the Ildatch, reluctantly joins him on his perilous journey east; meanwhile her younger brother Jair learns that Brin will fail and die, unless he can reach her in time. And as Brin walks into the trap the Ildatch has set, Jair must travel through the very heart of evil to reach her..

Sequel follow on
+ Then + and + and this one + finally these

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 02-04-2016 at 09:31 PM
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting.

I still haven't decided if I want to read the books or not.

April
Drunk On You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

I got the tie in cover for The Elvstones of Shannara. It's book 2 and the one they are starting the show off with.

Since I heard the entire book will be season 1. If this show lasts for a few more reasons, it'll be interesting to see if they change cast every season since every book jumps generations.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I would feel weird not reading book 1. Especially since seems like all the background info is in that one.

April
Old 02-06-2016, 03:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I know with book 1 it introduces all the background information, but they're also generations apart from one another.

The books aren't even available here, the only reason I saw the tie in cover for book 2 is because of the show.

I guess I could order the first.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's kind of weird they aren't available there.

April
Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

thanks for this thread
yeah id like to get some background info so ill read from the beginning

hopefully they'll have it soon here

{}
fire for a heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

I had never heard of the series before the show, but actually I don't know for sure they don't have the books here. I'll have to check the fantasy or sci fi section when I'm in the bookstore. I tend to mostly only explore the YA/UF, PNR/Romance sections of the store.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I wouldn't say I've heard of the series but the author. I had a manager who read these books. I only know/remember that because I remember the author. And I've seen the books (once again I notice the author and not the actual book names) in the Sci-Fi/fantasy sections.

Though seems like they are trying to target YA. I saw the second book reprinted with the tie in cover at Target under the YA section.

April
Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. They're not YA books, but they have made the show YA, taking some of the characters from the book who are teenagers and making them more prominent.

From the little I had read of the book, Amberle had already left, and you never saw the whole chosen stuff.
Lauren is still alive and is the one who alerts Amberle's uncle about the tree dying.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Who is Lauren?

So the show is almost completely different?

April
Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

aka Loren, Amberle's boyfriend who died in the pilot.

I had only read a little bit, from what I gather its mostly focused on the adult characters, but they have taken the teens from it and used that as a focus for the TV show. I have only read about 30 pages but have yet to come across either of the main characters yet.

I saw the first book in the bookstore, along with the others, it's of the cover I have in the OP. But I am not sure about getting it. Or waiting til if they do a tie in cover; which I am not sure they will do since they are only taking the show from the second book onwards.
Or whether I don't need to read it at all, and I can just start from this book, and could just read a recap of book 1.
I heard there are no female characters in the first book though.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ahhhh I was thinking that was him. Saw Lauren and assumed it was a girl.

April
Old 02-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. It was just how it was spelt in the book.

So.. I knew it would bug me later, so I bought the first book

Even though I know they can be read as standalones because how they're generations different.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I knew you would go back and get the first.

April
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top