Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Addicted Fan

I enjoy reading Shakespeare in fact I took a course last semester in school about him and we read several of his plays and sonnets. It took me some time to get the language down but it keeps getting easier.
icon credit to Cristolfe
charminggirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have to read "King Lear" for my AP english class. Is it any good?
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

sibling rivalry, deceit, betrayal; it's pretty good.
VampAracely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Shakespeare is my lifeblood along with Edgar Allen Poe

Some of my favorite plays by Shakespeare are:
Romeo And Juliet
The Merchant Of Venice
Macbeth
Hamlet
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Antony and Cleopatra
Old 08-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan, since I've only ever read his plays for school, but I did enjoy the ones I've read. I've read Romeo & Juliet, Julius Caeser, Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Hang It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm not really a fan of Shakespeare or of poetry, but I have read some from him.
twilight15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

To read!
I wouldn't say I was a fan either, I'm not sure if I'd read his work for fun (Except maybe A Midsummer's Night Dream because I say Get Over It and I really like it) but, I think there is definite beauty in his language and the images it creates.
I've read; Macbeth, Romeo&Juliet and right now I'm studying The Tempest.
I've enjoyed all of them but I do tend to find them more interesting once you analyze them and you start to to see the themes etc more clearly.
A lot of my friends don't appreciate Shakespeare because they don't understand his language but I don't usually have a problem with that.

I think that if you're interested in English Literature then you should definitely read some of his work because he's a majof contributor to the language we use today, which is why he's so widely used in school etc.

My next task is to go see one at the theatre because I never have and I think I'd quite enjoy them.

baby you're a wrecking ball, crashing into me...
thegirlinquestion_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Extreme Fan

I have just finished my first Shakespeare book...Hamlet.
I really enjoyed it, but sometimes the language was a little complicated.
Anyway, I will definitely read more of him sometime soon.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Supreme Fan

I really like Shakespeare, I just hate the way some teachers present it. I had a teacher this semester that spent a good month on King Lear and while I loved the play I didn't really have the chance to enjoy it in class because everything had to be so analytical and in depth. I didn't get the chance to enjoy the surface beauty or the intricate relationships that Shakespeare creates and instead just had to listen to my teacher ramble on and on about the symbolism and imagery and double plot for 75 minutes twice a week and then I wrote four papers on it and realized that if you don't simply recycle back what the professor said than he'd say you were interpreting it wrong.
I've also read Romeo and Juliet, Caesar, Macbeth, and Hamlet, all of which I enjoyed. It really just depends on how well the teacher presents the material.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Extreme Fan

i don't think i would read Shakespeare unless I had to simply beacuse i find it to difficult. Im in the middle of As You Like It for my English class right now but my teacher isn't teaching it well
Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Master Fan

I am totally obsessed with Shakespeare. I'll be having a conversation with someone, and then I'll somehow randomly relate it to Shakespeare (usually Hamlet or R&J, which are my faves). My first semester of college, I took a rigorous Shakespeare class, which was amazing; we read a play a week, though only got to read 11 pays.

**Actress^Animal Lover^Flutist^Writer**
amusic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Dedicated Fan

I love Shakespeare. Not everything of his is of the same quality and he's not a kind of literary saint who never put a foot wrong. Never-the-less, his language is so powerful and his insight into the human condition is so complex and sharp, he astonishes me. I find myself in his work a lot.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusic20 (View Post)
I am totally obsessed with Shakespeare. I'll be having a conversation with someone, and then I'll somehow randomly relate it to Shakespeare (usually Hamlet or R&J, which are my faves). My first semester of college, I took a rigorous Shakespeare class, which was amazing; we read a play a week, though only got to read 11 pays.
That sounds interesting, but it really seems to me to be a very short amount of time to accurately explore all that Shakespeare has to offer. I'm not saying take a year or even a month to read one of his plays, and then there are all the great sonnets he's done which no one seems to ever study, but really that does seem like a very short amount of time to me. But then I've been averaging a book a week with two English classes so I guess it's not that fast. I just spent a month on King Lear for some reason so I guess I'm biased.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 PM
New Fan

Hmm, the only one I've read in its original text is Macbeth for a particular course. How does it compare to the other plays?
fallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Elite Fan

I've always had really good teachers when it came to Shakespeare plays, so that lead me to start reading them in my own time.

I've read
Macbeth
Much Ado About Nothing
Othello
Romeo and Juliet

I'd really like to read King Lear next, a know a few people that studied it at school this year, and they seemed to enjoy it.
AbolishPuppyFactories
Playing The Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread