Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Science Fiction and Fantasy Thread #3

I thought I'd start this since the old thread is closed.

Right now I'm reading The Long Hunt by Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald and stories in Phoenix in the Ashes by Joan D. Vinge. I've found that it's a lot easier for me to get through books if I read more than one at a time lately.

Anne Bishop, Lynn Flewelling, and Patricia Bray are all going to be doing signings at the local SFF store in the next few months. I might try to get Sebastian from the library, so I don't get spoiled for it at the Bishop signing. I haven't read anything by Flewelling yet, but I have all of her books (for now). I've never read anything by Bray either and I didn't see any of her books at the used bookstore to try.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Passionate Fan

hi Soz

Reading 2-3 books at once seems to be helping me plow through books too. I like being able to switch gears and read a chapter here and there from different stories. It keeps it fresh.

I'm currently reading the book Keeper of the Winds by Jenna Solitaire and just finished Circus of the Darned by Katie Maxwell. I'm one novella away from finishing the paranormal anthology Dates from Hell. I had the same problem with this anthology that I have with all anthologies...that is the stories aren't all good. I really enjoyed the ones from Kelley Armstrong and Lynsay Sands but the ones from Lori Handeland and (surprisingly) Kim Harrison didn't interest me.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Hey tSG.

I have the same problem with anthologies. I liked the J. D. Robb story in Out of This World, but the Maggie Shayne and Susan Krinard stories were mediocre, and I didn't bother with the LKH story since it's part of one of the books. Then in Charmed Destinies, I liked the Asaro and Lee stories, but I absolutely hated the Lackey story. For To Weave a Web of Magic, I loved the Shinn and Kurland stories but I didn't like the McKillip story all that much and I hated the Delcroix story. I'm still working my way through Irresistible Forces, but I loved the Bujold story and I liked the Asaro story.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:54 AM
Master Fan

I'm waiting for Dates From Hell. I want to read it for Kelley Armstrong, but you say it isn't that great. Bummer.

I've stalled in all the books I'm in the middle of right now:
Freedom and Necessity
Sebastian
The Paths of the Dead
Good Omens

Life is so crazy these past few weeks. I'm enjoying all the books though so that's a plus.

I did finish Green's Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth. I wonder if that's the end of that series. I hope now, but I don't want it to go on with no direction either.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Passionate Fan

onionroach, Dates From Hell is still worth picking up. Kelley's contribution of Chaotic was really entertaining and her new half demon character shows promise. Lynsay Sands offers a lighthearted SF story called The Claire Switch Project which I thought was cute and funny. Some people knock it as being too absurd(and it is) but it will probably appeal to people who don't mind wacky stuff like Weird Science, Misfits of Science or Real Genius(yes, I was into geeky TV/movies in the 80s ). Lori Handeland's novella Dead Man Dating actually started out pretty good then fizzled out. I'm not yet done with Harrison's story though I find she over-writes this one. IMO a simple straight forward story would have been better especially for new readers unfamiliar with her series.

The best paranormal romance athologies I've read so far were probably Bite and Cravings. I also liked 2 out of 3 stories from Night's Edge. It really is hard to find a good anthology these days. I admit I read anthologies mainly for one author although I like discovering the lesser known authors that are often featured.

Quote:
I did finish Green's Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth. I wonder if that's the end of that series. I hope now, but I don't want it to go on with no direction either.
I'm sooooo behind on Green's series. I really need to catch up.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoobygang
I'm sooooo behind on Green's series. I really need to catch up.
I'm so behind on so many series. I'm catching up on Doyle & Macdonald's Mageworlds now and I'm going to work on all of Czerneda's series, Shinn's Samaria and Twelve Houses series, Britain's Green Rider books, Flewellings books, Lee & Miller's Liaden series, and the many Tamora Pierce inter-related series all in the near future. I'm also going to try not to start any more series until I finish some up first (unless they are wishlisted on PaperBack Swap, which a lot of the Luna series are, so I'll try some of them soon).
Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Master Fan

thescoobygang, thanks for the info on Dates. I collect anthologies. I've got so many of them and most aren't terribly good, but I keep them and buy more and occaisionally, I'll go back and read them again. LOL You should try Stroke of Midnight. It has stories by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Amanda Ashley, LA Banks, and Lori Handeland. They're definately more of a romantic bent than fantasy. I particularly like Kenyon and Banks. Now that I think about it, maybe you should try it because I only like those two stories. LOL

I don't have any series I have to catch up on, I do have several authors that I need to start reading.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Supreme Fan

Right now I'm reading an assortment of sci-fi and fantasy. I'm just about to finish Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan and I just started Sister of the Dead by Barb and J.C. Hendee. Hopefully I can finish them both soon and start on some new stuff I just bought.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Total Fan

I am currently reading a Robert Silverberg novel originally published in 1964 for "young readers" called Time of the Great Freeze, and finished Stargate: Reconnaisance last week. It is the fourth in a five-book series that picked up where the original Stargate movie left off, but in a different direction than the SG-1 television series. Yes, it can get a little confusing.

I sometimes have two or more books going at the same time, though I try to make sure they are completely different (a futuristic sci fi at the same time as a fantasy quest rather than two futuristic sci fis) so that my tiny little brain can keep the stories separate.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Supreme Fan

I think my record is nine books at a time because of assorted classes and then I take one book with me to read at school, one book I read in bed at night, and one book that I read during the day at home, but I've never really had a problem getting things confused. Although, like you Dukesmom normally they're fairly different subject matter.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'm not sure what my record is, but for the past few months I have at least two books going at once. I have one book in the living room and one in the bedroom right now. I can usually read two books in the exact same genre and not get confused, but they are still different enough. Like right now I'm reading a fun space opera adventure with a hint of magic (the Mageworlds series has been compared to Star Wars) and I'm reading a novella by Vinge that's more thoughtful.

I'm mostly in the mood for fun SF right now without anything I have to think too much about, so I'll probably be reading a lot of space opera for a while. I'm totally burned out on fantasy right now.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Master Fan

I usually have two book in different room of my house...maybe three if I run out of magazines in the kitchen. Then I have one in the car for when I pick of the kiddies.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Hey, shortly before the site went down I'd posted a question here so I'm going to repost it:

I've been reading the Dune Chronicles (I'm almost done with Heretics of Dune) and I really am lost as to what exactly was Leto's Golden Path... I mean, I know it has something to do with preserving humanity. But I don't understand why he had to do what he did in order for it to happen. Nor do I understand the whole of what his intentions were. So if someone could help me better understand, that''d be great. BUT if it is explained clearly toward the end of Heretics or in Chapterhouse, then just let me know and I'll wait until I get there. Thanks!

Ona nother note: if you haven't read these books, you should. They're incredible!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I really try to avoid reading more than one book at once. For some reason if I do, then I lose complete interest in one of them and never end up finishing it. Even if its by one of my favourite authors. *shrug* Weird eh?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Passionate Fan

So, is there a better place to post my question?

The sci-fi board?
It's own thread here?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread