Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Master Fan

Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Discussion Thread #2

Hey you guys! I noticed that the old thread was past 300 so I started the new one let me know if you want another title and I can edit it!

btw I saw Soz's last post about Anita Blake series and I agree they are the best! But I think it is important to read them in order The first are sooo good! Her last couople weren't as good.

anywoo keep on talking

Old thread

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:21 AM
Master Fan

AlexEvans, with regards to Anita Blake, it is best to read from the beginning. There's more story and less sex.

I actually started the series with Obsidian Butterfly which I really enjoyed and then read Blue Moon. I totally read the series out of order and I was okay with it. I think it did make me have little tolerance for Richard, though. He just annoys me.

I'm not reading anything right now. Some magazines and newspapers. Maybe this weekend I'll start on Confessions.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Master Fan

I didn't care for Richard either. I'm more of a Jean Claude fan! Obsidan Butterfly was my favorite of the books! I also really loved Laughing Corpse great books!

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

Soz, k46 and onionroach, I appreciate your suggestions regarding Anita Blake. I'll continue keeping an eye out for the first book in the series.

Unfortunately, all too many authors fall for the sex instead of story trap.

Soz, enjoy Discworld.

I just (re)read Rider at the Gate and Cloud's Rider by CJ Cherryh. This particular series - just the two book so far to my knowledge - is quite good. It's part of her SF collection, I guess, but there are psi powers involved so it doesn't fit with her usual hard SF. It's a very interesting and unique approach, however, and she creates a really nifty world. No surprise - she's one of my favorite authors.

AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Just a quick drive-by post before I go to my mom's for the day.

AlexEvans, thanks, I'm sure I will. I have a few of the books and I'm expecting another one in the mail.

I still haven't read Cherryh, but I have tons of her books. So many books, so little time.

I'm enjoying The Hallowed Hunt- so much so that I don't want to do any of the million things I have to do around my house so I'm having this inner war with myself: "Read!" "No, I have to paint." "But you really want to read the Bujold book, she's one of your favorite authors." "Sorry, I can't right now, I have to get this painting done." So I end up reading during commercials, while I fix things on my TiVo, and other times when I'm idle for short stretches of time, and before I go to bed (I can't seem to fall asleep without reading first).
Old 06-19-2005, 04:53 AM
Master Fan

My two fave Anita Blake books are Obsidian Butterfly and Narcissus In Chains. I love the were stuff in NIC and I like Micah.

I think I prefer Merry Gentry better because you know it's about sex. Anita Blake starts out as a mystery/supsense series and ends up being about revolving around sex. At least you know where the series is with MG. LOL

I picked up Shadows and Light by Blake. I'm putting off Confessions for some reason. I'll get to it eventually.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

Yeah the problem with Anita was that I think after Laurel made her powers related to sex there wasn't really any going back.
n e r b l e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 AM
Master Fan

I picked up Haunted by Armstrong and Going Postal by Pratchett so I'll be reading those soon.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I will also have to put off Confessions for a while (and renew the book) because I have to finish The Hallowed Hunt then there are two new books coming out Tuesday that I want to read right away (the new Julia Quinn and Catherine Asaro's new Luna).

The Hallowed Hunt is amazing, I just wish I wasn't so busy and tired. I have about 200 pages left, so I should be able to finish it by Tuesday, when it's due at the library. And next Wednesday (7/6), Bujold will be at a local bookstore doing a signing and reading.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Master Fan

I tried to renew Confessions but unfortunately there's a hold on the book. I've been reading all three books at once but now I'll have to just read Confessions so I can return it by Wednesday.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionroach
I tried to renew Confessions but unfortunately there's a hold on the book. I've been reading all three books at once but now I'll have to just read Confessions so I can return it by Wednesday.
I hate when that happens! I think I might be able to finish Confessions by the time it's due on 7/5. I'll probably just hold off on reading the Catherine Asaro book until afterwards (but I know I can read the new Julia Quinn book in a day or two).
Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I got the final book I needed in Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden series yesterday and I was wondering if anyone else has read any of these books. I've read Conflict of Honors and Agent of Change and I loved the first one and liked the second, but I never got around to reading any more of the books. Now that I have them all (except the new sort of related book), I have this need to read them. Anyway, they are great romantic space opera books with the coolest aliens that are called turtles.

Edit: Okay, so it's not my final Liaden book. I looked them up today and there are two prequels I don't have and there's a third one on the way next year. And I think their one stand-alone book is actually related to this series.

I'm in the mood to read science fiction, but I've been so busy with book discussion books (not just for here) lately. As soon as I'm done with the 3 books in my TBR, I'm going to read some Lee & Miller, Shinn, Clayton, Joan D. Vinge (and maybe even her ex-husband Vernor too), Doyle & McDonald, and maybe some more Tepper. For some reason, I read a lot of SF in the summer (along with romance or I read romantic SF).
Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Master Fan

Currently picked up Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Fantastic, fantastic book. Can't wait to pick up the second in the series.

Hey there, everyone!
Arrow #47. Sidekick #13

Porthos.
Love wins. Love always wins.
Tesseract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Master Fan

Tesseract, I'm glad you like Ender's Game. I would suggest reading Ender's Shadow next because it's in the same time period or there abouts even though it is written much, much later. Speaker for the Dead, to me, was such a departure from the first book. Let us know how you like the second one.

I just finished Haunted by Armstrong. I really like it. I really like Paige and Eve. I haven't decided if I want to read the next book. I am not a fan of Elena. She annoys me to no end. I hope that the book after that will be about someone else. Now I have to finish the Pratchett book.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Master Fan

I got to reserve a copy of the second book in the series. Will pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the review.

Oh, you can call me Kitt.
Arrow #47. Sidekick #13

Porthos.
Love wins. Love always wins.
Tesseract is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread