Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Roswell High Original Series Thread

I tried this over on the Roswell board but it got lost. i think that this would be a great place to start this thread over. This thread is to pay tribute to the original 10 Roswell High novels by Melinda Metz and other Melinda Metz books. I hope everyone enjoys the thread!!!

My favourite book was the Rebel

Roswell High Novels
1. the outsider
2. the wild one
3. the seeker
4. the watcher
5. the intruder
6. the stowaway
7. the vanished
8. the rebel
9. the dark one
10. the salvation

setham #46

sock monkey #38

I had my 1000th post at the OC Setham thread #22!
september angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

i love this series!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
i've read each book at least 3 times. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Drink up beautiful, I spiked your cup with angst and a heart attack.
Got Candy? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Candy?:
<STRONG>i love this series!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
i've read each book at least 3 times. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG>
i know me too! i like them a lot more than the new ones

setham #46

sock monkey #38

Old 10-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

I didnt really care too much about this series, i liked the ones based off the show.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

the only book ive read is the vanished. i thought that was good.
colinhanksisbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:47 AM
Addicted Fan

Roswell High! I actually prefer this series over the one they do now based on the show. But this could just be me. I actually liked the characters a little bit more and less then in the show. When I was watching the toyhouse and they were all at the baseball game and Maria, Alex and Michael were all sitting there I was just expecting them to be all cool and funny and force food down her mouth like they did in I think the watcher. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Addicted Fan

I love that Michael's nickname for Isabel was "Izzy lizard", I found that really cute. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Erin, from TWOP.
loquacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Master Fan

I really like this series.

The TV setting works best on TV. The later ones don't even have all the original characters, I don't see the point of them at all.

Metz's books are a lot of fun, it's great to read the original Roswell. I like all the books.

My only peeve is, that while her ending was immeasurably, light-years better than the ending of the show, I would have liked a more clearly happy ending.

[img]smilies/abduct.gif[/img] [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Loyal Fan

hey everyone! everyone has brought up great points. the ending in melinda's books were way better. i also liked how in melinda's books, there was more interaction with the parents. that made the stories a bit more believable. Maria is definetely my fav character in the books. Cameron was pretty cool too. Adam would have been a great character to see on the show.

setham #46

sock monkey #38

Old 10-09-2003, 08:46 PM
jjt
Master Fan

The two are so different it's hard to compare them. I liked both the books and the tv series for very different reasons.

I will say that I did like the background the books gave the Liz character .. made her actions much more understandable. And adored adam.

Still routed for the M&M pair up .. but it was a pair up of two very different characters .. but they fit either way imho.

I think the characters on the tv show were darker. And it's usually the other way around. So that was my only complaint with the books. The characters were a little too bright. I liked the connection the main group had .. but didn't really need the colors and smells thing to feel it .. thought that was over the top. But all in all .. I did dig the books. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Master Fan

I agree with jjt ... the show was much darker than the books, and also more adult, even though it was supposed to be set in high school most of the time. The consistency of the writing and the characters was so much better in the books though.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

I adore the series! I actually prefer the books over the TV series (I really only liked Season One -- do not get me started on Seasons Two & Three) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] --but the books rock!

The characters were more typical high school students, and the gang really worked as a unit - each book devoted equal time to each character/couple - as well as finding ways to add new characters (eg. Adam (oh, the toaster)).

Also, I loved the idea of the auras...very cool.

I loved Melinda's work sooo much, I read (and bought) the Fingerprint series as well...very good reading.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynea:
<STRONG>I adore the series! I actually prefer the books over the TV series (I really only liked Season One -- do not get me started on Seasons Two & Three) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] --but the books rock!

The characters were more typical high school students, and the gang really worked as a unit - each book devoted equal time to each character/couple - as well as finding ways to add new characters (eg. Adam (oh, the toaster)).

Also, I loved the idea of the auras...very cool.

I loved Melinda's work sooo much, I read (and bought) the Fingerprint series as well...very good reading.</STRONG>
I agree with you about the aura thing! i thought that was so cool! however, it would have been kind of cheesy on the show.

i think the reason why i liked the sow so much was because it wasdark. it wasn't all candy coated like the other shows i was watcing. The books would have been cooler too if the characters were more dark. of course maria was my fav. in the books, but i wished that she was a bit more sarcastic like the one on the show

as for fingerprints, i love the series too. melinda is such a good writer. i have that book series too. i'm glad that on the cover it says 'the author of roswell high'. i think that's what got my attention the most.

setham #46

sock monkey #38

Old 10-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Master Fan

I love the original Roswell High series. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I own all ten and have read them all several times. I like the ten books on the same level as season one of Roswell, though in a different way (I consider them to be sort of an alternate universe). However, I like the books far better than season two or three of Roswell.

We had a Melinda Metz thread not too long ago, but I suppose that it got eaten by one of the crashes. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

The Fingerprints series was also great. Melinda also has a novel (stand alone, not a series) coming out next fall, titled Raven's Point. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
--Rachel
Old 10-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Master Fan

The Roswell High series are some of my favorite books. I'm currently reading the series for the third time - just got finished with the sixth book. The Stowaway has one of my favorite Roswell High scenes in it - I've read it so many times, over and over again. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I love the connections they form among the group: music, auras, perfumes and all. The bonds the group has and the love they have for each other is my favorite part of the books. As Michael puts it in one of the books, they really are a family.

I also love the Roswell TV show. It's probably my favorite TV show ever. For me, I think of the two Roswells as being two completely separate entities (although at times there are some surprising similarities). I can see the characters starting off the same, but their experiences change them, and of course, the storylines go off in vastly different directions. I like both versions for different reasons. (I do wish the Adam character had shown up on the show, though. Adam was great. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

[ 10-18-2003: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Anla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread