Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

The Romance Thread #4

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img] ROMANCE [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]

A love affair.
Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love: They kept the romance alive in their marriage for 35 years.
A strong, sometimes short-lived attachment, fascination, or enthusiasm for something: a childhood romance with the sea.
A mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful: "These fine old guns often have a romance clinging to them" (Richard Jeffries).

A long medieval narrative in prose or verse that tells of the adventures and heroic exploits of chivalric heroes: an Arthurian romance.
A long fictitious tale of heroes and extraordinary or mysterious events, usually set in a distant time or place.

The class of literature constituted by such tales.

An artistic work, such as a novel, story, or film, that deals with sexual love, especially in an idealized form.
The class or style of such works.
A fictitiously embellished account or explanation: We have been given speculation and romance instead of the facts.
Music. A lyrical, tender, usually sentimental song or short instrumental piece.
Romance The Romance languages.

(definition from Dictionary.com)

Some links :

Romance Writers of America
The Literary Time
Avon Authors Site
All About Romance
Simon Says Love
Historical Romance Writers
The Romance Reader
Dear Reader

Last thread can be found here
Old 11-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Master Fan

have any of ya'll read karen marie moning's highlander series? most came out back in '99 and are re-released and the most recent came out in august...i stumbled upon the first book in the series and wound up getting the rest after i read it...she does paranormal romance and it's pretty damn good....

Last edited by meretwins; 11-30-2004 at 05:01 PM
Old 12-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

Has anyone read White Hot by Sandra Brown?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Master Fan

Meretwins I heard that Karen Marie Moning's books did well in the sales this year, and someone did mention her to me as a good author. I never checked her books, but I always gladly discover new authors.

MalloryKeaton I can't say I ever heard of that author. Is she any good?

I really can't wait for the new Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter book to be released. I know it'll be up by the end of the month, but I'll have to wait until January to have it over here in Europe.
Blah, I need some good books to distract me.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by MalloryKeaton
Has anyone read White Hot by Sandra Brown?
I've read several books by her, but I don't think I've ever read that one. She's a solid author, though, so I'm sure that book is probably good.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Obsessed Fan

books

I am going to check out Time Traveler's Wife and the other books that were recommended by the last thre some by Karen Hawkins. I lost my list over the weekend...i was at the half price book store just looking at so many books...but not really knowing what to buy. SO I wanted to thank those who gave me a glimpse into these.
EJami powerful, tangible, wild & completely off the charts Choice, not chance, determined destiny. He, too, has been changed in his turn, changed utterly: & a terrible beauty was born. Love comes in many forms & faces, as there are many roads to truth.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Master Fan

I kinda liked Karen Hawkins' stories in the anthologies I read, so I wanted to give her books a shot. I was tempted by her book An Affair to Remember, but I have to check out to see if it's not part of a series, so I'd rather get the first book of the series instead.

I'm kinda bored by Regency romances right now. I've read too many of those successively, and they happen to be quite the same after awhile. I love those kind of books but I need to read something different from Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, etc. for awhile.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by StellaSlight
MalloryKeaton I can't say I ever heard of that author. Is she any good?
I think she's a good author. I"ve read several books by her. I was just curious if anyone had read this particualr book.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:39 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I'm kinda bored by Regency romances right now. I've read too many of those successively, and they happen to be quite the same after awhile. I love those kind of books but I need to read something different from Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, etc. for awhile.
Same here. I haven't read any romance in a while because most of my collection is Regency. I just got a J. D. Robb book in the mail today, so I think I'll read that soon. I've only read the first In Death book so far (and one story in an anthology) and the book I got just happens to be the second book. I also have a lot of the later In Death books because I pick them up as I see them at the used bookstore.

I'm also trying an Avon True Romance book (Anna and the Duke by Kathryn Smith), which is for teens. It is a Regency, but since it's targeted at teens, it is slightly different.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Master Fan

Quote:

Now is the time to try out Jennifer Crusie.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by onionroach
Now is the time to try out Jennifer Crusie.

Oh, believe me, she's on the top of my list.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Oh, believe me, she's on the top of my list.

I picked up two Carly Phillips books the other day. I've seen her stuff everywhere so I was curious. They're okay. The writing reminds me of Harlequin/Silhouette books.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Loyal Fan

meretwins I recently purchased one of her books. I haven't started it yet, but I was told she was really good. The book is on top of my list to read right after Christmas. If by any chance you still want an opinion of it by then, I'll post it here if it's of any help.

Stella: Jennifer Cruise is the best. I really like her books, I really hope that you are willing to try it. If you are taking suggestions, start with the new one, Bet me, it's really good! And then... Welcome to Temptation is definitely worth reading after that. Now, if you are a simultaneous reader, you can read both at the same time. I just love those books!!!!

I'm currently reading The Outlander Series, and have been posting on the thread for a few weeks now. I'm almost done with the third book. I bought the first one when I was going to get an operation. I figured it was big enough to keep me entertained along with the other ones I had acquired, but I went through it really fast, and now I have to say that I love it! Has anyone read them yet?
Tim's Rally Girl #9

Don't you just love that smile??
avie by: daritah
Old 12-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Master Fan

mary a troy fan i'd love to hear your take on the series when you read it...i'm eagerly anticipating the release of sherrilyn kenyon's latest dark hunter book about valerius.....
Old 12-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by meretwins
i'm eagerly anticipating the release of sherrilyn kenyon's latest dark hunter book about valerius.....
Ditto that!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread