Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Obsessed Fan

Richard and Judy BookClub 05

Does anybody follow the Richard and Judy Book Club in the UK? They've released their new list for 2005 and it's got some really interesting books on it. I've already been to the libarry and got most of them and they sound great. Here's the list if anybody is interested.

THE SHADOW OF THE WIND - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

A stunning literary thriller set in Barcelona. The discovery of a forgotten book leads to a hunt for an elusive author who may or may not still be alive...

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE - Audrey Niffenegger

Destined to become a word-of-mouth classic this is a funny, moving and utterly original first novel. It is the story of Henry and Claire, who have known each other since Claire was six and Henry was 36, and were married when Claire was 20 and Henry 28. This is possible only because Henry can travel in time...

THE AMERICAN BOY - Andrew Taylor

Interweaving real and fictional elements this is a major new literary historical crime novel...

THE PROMISE OF HAPPINESS - Justin Cartwright

A powerful elegy to the idiocies and intimacies of family love, this is the captivating story of an apparently ordinary English family caught up in uncontrollable events, united again, as much by apprehension as celebration on the return of the prodigal daughter...

FEEL: ROBBIE WILLIAMS - Chris Heath

This is a groundbreaking publication, a truly original and brilliantly written book, it is the grippingly honest story of an extraordinary man...

THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB - Karen Joy Fowler

Over the period six months, six people – five women and a man – meet in California’s Central Valley to discuss Jane Austen’s novels. In this time marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable and under Jane’s guiding eye a couple of them even fall in love...

CLOUD ATLAS - David Mitchell

A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850, and a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilization - these and the other narrators of this novel hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small...

THE SIXTH LAMENTATION - William Brodrick

A highly promising, extraordinarily intelligent debut thriller about war, stolen identity and the nature of betrayal...

MY SISTER'S KEEPER - Jodi Picoult

An astonishing, gripping, thought-provoking and at times almost unbearably moving novel about a family's love...

PERDITA: THE LIFE OF MARY ROBINSON - Paula Byrne

A sparkling and authoritative biography about the life of Mary Robinson – in her time, the darling of the London stage, mistress to the most powerful men in England, a renowned feminist thinker, and a best-selling author more famous for her poetry than Wordsworth...
Old 12-31-2004, 03:56 PM
Supreme Fan

Re: Richard and Judy BookClub 05

Quote:
Originally posted by Star5
Does anybody follow the Richard and Judy Book Club in the UK? They've released their new list for 2005 and it's got some really interesting books on it. I've already been to the libarry and got most of them and they sound great. Here's the list if anybody is interested.

THE SHADOW OF THE WIND - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

A stunning literary thriller set in Barcelona. The discovery of a forgotten book leads to a hunt for an elusive author who may or may not still be alive...

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE - Audrey Niffenegger

Destined to become a word-of-mouth classic this is a funny, moving and utterly original first novel. It is the story of Henry and Claire, who have known each other since Claire was six and Henry was 36, and were married when Claire was 20 and Henry 28. This is possible only because Henry can travel in time...

THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB - Karen Joy Fowler

Over the period six months, six people – five women and a man – meet in California’s Central Valley to discuss Jane Austen’s novels. In this time marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable and under Jane’s guiding eye a couple of them even fall in love...
These are the three that interest me. I wonder if I can get them yet in the states.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Fan

I've been following but I didn't read any this year, I think I'll try and pick up a few of the books this time.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

I would highly recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. It is such a brilliant book and guaranteed to have you in tears at the end.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star5
I would highly recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. It is such a brilliant book and guaranteed to have you in tears at the end.
I second that! I made the mistake of finishing the book right before going to sleep, and not only was I in tears, but I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the story. It's a little hard to follow at the beginning but it's really worth it. It's a really beautiful story, I loved it.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Absolute Fan

I definitely third The Time Traveler's Wife. Such an amazing book and one that definitely made me say, "Wow" when it was over, caused me think a lot.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread