Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Loyal Fan

Reading Phases?

I don't know about you guys, but for the past few years I have found myself reading in phases!
For a few months I'll read all romance, then thriller/horror/suspense, then chicklit, then non fiction, etc. I never really read two genres at once, although I often read more than one book at a time.
I never noticed this until I look back on the book lists I've kept!
It doesn't really surprise me as when it comes to books and reading, I'm very obsessive and organised (nothing makes me happier than organising and reorganising my TBR pile and bookcase)
Does anyone else do this?

Reading Is Awesome!
Michael: Why me?
Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
Stars_And_Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Supreme Fan

My reading phases are more, sometimes I'm in the mood to read and sometimes I'm not. For example, for the past month, I just haven't done that much reading. Now I'm interested in it again and I'm reading right around five books at the moment. Sometimes I'll go through genre phases, especially with science fiction or young adult, but normally I'll read anything I can get my hands on when I'm going through a reading phase. In my "non-reading" phases I'll normally only read one book at a time and it's normally something I've read before and really liked.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I used to go through phases, but over the past few years, I've mostly been reading speculative fiction- maybe it's just an extended phase, or maybe I finally was able to find a bunch of decent SF that didn't put me off. But I haven't really been in the mood to read romances, which I was reading a lot of a few years ago. And when I first got my iPod, I listened to a lot of classics, but I got kind of burned out on them for a while- although I'd really love to listen to Emma because I just saw the newest movie on PBS (I read it a few years ago, but I really can't squeeze it into my reading schedule now unless I listen to the audiobook).
Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

I go through phases too with genre. I was on a mystery kick during the end of last year but now I'm onto urban fantasy. My phases tend to be linked to whatever series Im reading though. However, there will also be nearly full month spans where I don't read any real books and instead just read fanfics

I'm an obsessive list keeper too (I have a list of all the tv episodes I've watched for the past several years...sigh.)

Kaity | Goodreads
asterravos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Elite Fan

I stopped reading for six months in 2008. I'd always read on the bus on my way to and from work, but during the summer I just couldn't concentrate on any of the books I was reading so I stopped. I only read 25 books that "year."

And then last year I read the most I ever have!

That's really the only "phase" I've had. Genre-wise I always stick with fantasy whether it's YA, adult or middlegrade I'll probably read it. Although, I'll sometimes read other types of YA if I like the covers/ it sounds interesting. Or now my brother's gf will sometimes bring me books to read (and they're more historical in nature)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

I definitely go through reading phases as well. I was a bit like you, too, going through a phase of different genres (supernatural, fantasy, romance, chicklit, suspense, etc). I can't really stick with one genre now though. Everything gets a little bit 'same-old, same-old' when you stick to one particular genre, so I have to read a little bit of everything to have variety.

I have times when I'm reading everyday and go through books like crazy and then I'll have a dry spell. Like right now, I'm on a roll, but I know soon I'll just slow down to a stop. It either gets too much or I get too busy with other things.

Rukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Elite Fan

I'm definitly not in a reading phase. Haven't been for like two years and it sucks. I've always been a huge reader, and would read books constantly and couldn't get enough of them. Lately, I've been more hooked on tv shows, and finish a book in a month! IN A MONTH! When it's usually taken me 3 days in the past. Ugh. I wish I could read more, but I just am so addicted to tv. Arrrrrg. And as for phases of genres? OMG. I've totally been there. I did go through a romance fiction phase for about a year, but got so tired of the same old formula set in the exact same place with the main female protaganist being of the same archtype. And the sex scenes were also never that exicting after awhile. But usually when I read books, it's fantasy, chick lit, or general fiction.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I'm not really in a reading phase right now, I guess because when I get home from work I want to do something mindless instead of reading. So I watch TV or play a video game instead.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I've gone through terrible reading slumps where I didn't feel like reading or everything I read sucked. But right now, I'm on a reading tear and even sucky books aren't getting in my way.
Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sometimes I go through phases where I take a break from reading for like a month, but thats normally it. I don't have a phase where I read drama, then romance, then nonfiction or anything like that.
that's a bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I was bad for having them last year not so much this year cause have had plenty of time to read while being unemployed. However, these last few weeks have been hard to read during the week but still reading alot generally over the weekend. So can't really say that I'm going though a phrase
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm kinda going out of my reading phase right now because I've gotten busy with other things. I hope I won't get too out of it.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I hear you there I hope I don't get into a non-reading phrase
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

I know! I hope I won't either. If things get busier for me, I might take longer to finish a book, but I hope I won't stop reading all together.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I've just been really tired due to workshops/seminars that I have been doing and even job searching takes alot out of me. So only am reading during the weekend which is fine but want to read more
Reply   Post New Thread