Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Pammie, that's awful what happened to your sister. I'm glad she's recovered enough to be a wife and mom. Something similar happened to my cousin and she's a great mom and teacher now. I'm mostly scared because I don't know how I'll handle the fatigue of pregnancy and disrupted sleep once a baby arrives because I'm always tired now from various health issues.

Melissa Ann, I do the same thing with knitting and crochet. I have to do something with my hand while I watch TV, but I haven't been crafting much lately. I like small crochet projects because of the instant gratification, but crochet can aggravate my carpal tunnel so I tend to knit more than crochet.

The Titanic-themed party was due to my friend sharing her birthday with the anniversary of the Titanic hitting the iceberg. There was a Titanic cake with a model of the Titanic half sunken into the cake, nautical plates, napkins, and cups and we watched the James Cameron Titanic movie, which my friend timed perfectly so the ship struck the iceberg in the movie at the exact moment it did 100 years ago.

I've been a Titanic nut since I was a child and in the past few years, I've almost become a Titanic scholar, reading every book I can get my hands on and watching all the movies and documentaries. I've been really busy over the past week, watching all the specials. I'm also in the middle of the Julian Fellowes mini-series, which I was really excited about because it's sort of Titanic meets Downton Abbey .
Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Elite Fan

^^ I agree. It's like someone saying you 'get over' someone's death. I don't think you do, you just learn to adapt better.

ETA:

Soz - I love the history surrounding Titanic, and I find it so intriguing because of how people were still separated by class and how that even effected how they were 'saved' when it came to life boats!

Some of the stories I've seen in documentaries are so sad.

They pulled a boy from the water, and assumed he was around age 2 or 3, but til this day he has still not been identified, and the workers who pulled him from the water also found the richest man on the ship, "John Jacob Astor", and his son gave away a $10,000 reward for the retrieval of his father's body.

These worker's shared that $10,000 and used it to give that poor unidentified little boy and proper burial.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Elite Fan

Soz & Melissa Ann - I've also read alot about the Titanic throughout the years. I think the birthday party was really cool. I have the new mini-series on my tivo but haven't watched it yet. I know alot of people made comments about wanting or expecting to see jack and rose, and some people even had a heard time being convinced Jack and Rose weren't a true story. I prefer the history of it, though a lot of background characters in the theatrical movie were historical like John Jacob Astor and Molly Brown.
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]

Last edited by AtomicEmpress; 04-15-2012 at 10:30 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Elite Fan

Even the cast of Titanic (1997), we're cast based in how they could resemble the real people.

For example, Barnard Hill was cast as the Captain and he looked a lot like the real captain of Titanic. Google for photos!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wow. I had no idea they did that.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, when the movie originally came out, there was a bit about the casting on Entertainment Tonight, and they showed the real people and then the actors in costume.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah I remember seeing it on tv and always entertainment weekly did an article I believe. I read everything Titanic I could get my hands on.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Elite Fan

I'm still fascinated with the history and the stories of the people who were on board.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'm reading Titanic: An Illustrated History again and I find the whole time period so fascinating. I've sort of immersed myself in the Edwardian Era lately, between all these Titanic things I've been watching and Downton Abbey.

I'm still watching the miniseries- I Tivoed it too. I haven't had as much time as I've wanted to sit down and watch the whole thing between the NHL playoffs and working around the spouse's biking schedule (we're watching it together). I also want to listen to the historical commentary on the Cameron movie again; it's my favorite of the three commentaries (and it's by the author and illustrator of Titanic: An Illustrated History).
Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Elite Fan

I've got Downton Abbey, but I haven't watched yet. Just finished with GOT and AHS.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hear Downtown Abbey is good.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Elite Fan

I have it in my instant cue in netflix.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Elite Fan

It's not on my Netflix. Canadian Netflix is different from American.

I had to download.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Elite Fan

I think we just got it and its only the first season so far.
-Pammie

Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I missed the first season of Downton Abbey when it was on PBS, so I borrowed the DVD set from the library and watched the whole thing in two days! I loved season one and season two was good. I'm looking forward the season three, but I hate that it takes months and months for it to get shown in the U.S.

I finished the Titanic mini-series last night and I liked aspects of it, but felt it could have been a lot better without all the repetition.