Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

Readers Beware: Any books you gave up on and didn't finish? Or wish you had?

I gave up on an Anne McCaffrey book back when I wouldn't finish anything unless I really liked it from the get-go. Plus, that book was just atrocious

I wanted to give up on Halo.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

I gave up on Lover Mine and the whole Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

Also.. I couldn't get through Bram Stroker
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Elite Fan

Dracula? (Not sure if he wrote more than that.) It was pretty difficult in some places
Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah Dracula.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Supreme Fan

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

It was the Book of the Month here once a little while back. I got it from the library and gave it a try, but I only made it through about 50 pages before I had to stop. I just really couldn't get into it.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

It was the Book of the Month here once a little while back. I got it from the library and gave it a try, but I only made it through about 50 pages before I had to stop. I just really couldn't get into it.
I get what you mean. I did like parts of it though, and it was lent to me so I managed to pull through
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Master Fan

I tried and tried to get through Dreamland by Kevin Baker...but I couldn't. It's sitting on my bookshelf with the bookmark still in it. Glad I got it for only $2.
Icon: Unknown
hann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Master Fan

I'm going to give it another go, but I wasn't able to make it through The Yiddish Police Men's Union.

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

I thought I had good will to read Richardson's Clarissa (mostly due to the fact he is the master of characterization and that I love how complexly-motivated his characters are), but I stopped at excerpts because I found it too lengthy and difficult.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay to the Lights (View Post)
I gave up on Lover Mine and the whole Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

Also.. I couldn't get through Bram Stroker
really? what didn't you like about BDB? I'm reading Lover Avenged now.. (almoast finished) and I looove the series..

okay maybe that's a little embarrasing I gave up on The Lord of the Rings..

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
kostilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Fellowship of the Ring. I like it so far, but I can understand giving up on it. It's not exactly a page turner, and it's written in a strange enough style that if you're not really into it, it wouldn't appeal to you, or be worth the effort to finish it.

I gave up on Foucault's Pendulum bu Umberto Eco
I like symbology, and loved The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown so when I heard about Eco's book, I thought I'd really like it. To me, it ended up just being really pretentious and this guy was basically using really academic language without any real purpose, kind of being like, if you don't understand these silly, pointless words that are 20 syllables long then you're too stupid to read this book. But, like I said, there wasn't really any point to language like that. It didn't add to the story and just made it difficult to slog through.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Elite Fan

I've heard a lot of people say they gave up on LotR, I don't personally get it but heard it enough to know it happens

I wanted to give up on Magic Below Stairs (by Caroline Stevermer) but it was pretty short so I slogged through it
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I remember having to read Dracula during the summer holidays as it was on the reading list for English of the one of the two Sixth Forms I was choosing to go to. I somehow managed to finish reading it, but I hated it, definitely wasn't my cup of tea. I ended up going to the other sixth form in the end Wish I had given up on it. It gave me chills for days.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
I gave up on Foucault's Pendulum bu Umberto Eco
I like symbology, and loved The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown so when I heard about Eco's book, I thought I'd really like it. To me, it ended up just being really pretentious and this guy was basically using really academic language without any real purpose, kind of being like, if you don't understand these silly, pointless words that are 20 syllables long then you're too stupid to read this book. But, like I said, there wasn't really any point to language like that. It didn't add to the story and just made it difficult to slog through.
I haven't tried reading Eco so can't say anything about him, but I very much agree with your general opinion. It is frustrating when you have to struggle with complicated language (especially given I'm a non-native speaker) only to discover there is really nothing much behind it. I feel that in such cases the authors are using it to cover up for the lack of substance.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't hate Dracula, but it took me a week or more to finish the thing