Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Passionate Fan

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Has anyone read this new book? I have been looking forward to reading it but have yet to find time. If anyone has read it i would love to know how it was and if you would recommend it
Old 04-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

I have also been eyeing this book for awhile when ever I go to a Barns and Noble.

Here's what Amazon.com says about Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld:

Curtis Sittenfeld's poignant and occassionally angst-ridden debut novel Prep is the story of Lee Fiora, a South Bend, Indiana, teenager who wins a scholarship to the prestigious Ault school, an East Coast institution where "money was everywhere on campus, but it was usually invisible." As we follow Lee through boarding school, we witness firsthand the triumphs and tragedies that shape our heroine's coming-of-age. Yet while Sittenfeld may be a skilled storyteller, her real gift lies in her ability to expertly give voice to what is often described as the most alienating period in a young person's life: high school.

True to its genre, Prep is filled with boarding school stereotypes--from the alienated gay student to the picture perfect blond girl; the achingly earnest first-year English teacher and the dreamy star basketball player who never mentions the fact that he's Jewish. Lee's status as an outsider is further affirmed after her parents drive 18 hours in their beat-up Datsun to attend Parent's Weekend, where most of the kids "got trashed and ended up skinny-dipping in the indoor pool" at their parents' fancy hotel. Yet even as the weekend deteriorates into disaster and ends with a heartbreaking slap across the face, Sittenfeld never blames or excuses anyone; rather, she simply incorporates the experience into Lee's sense of self. ("How was I supposed to understand, when I applied at the age of thirteen, that you have your whole life to leave your family?")

By the time Lee graduates from Ault, some readers may tire of her constant worrying and self-doubting obsessions. However, every time we feel close to giving up on her, Sittenfeld reels us back in and makes us root for Lee. In doing so, perhaps we are rooting for every high school student who's ever wanted nothing more than to belong. --Gisele Toueg

I am fascinated with anything haveing to do with a boarding school. The reviews sound promising for the book. I think I am going to wait for paperback or wait till I get done with school to go to my library and reserve it because I am so cheap.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by igloo155
I am fascinated with anything haveing to do with a boarding school.
Me too. I don't know what it is about boarding schools, I just love reading or watching anything about them. I think I was interested in this book, too, if I'm remembering the cover correctly. It's white with this pink and green belt or something on it, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Rain Candy- Yep, that is what the cover looks like for Prep. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy either by library or waiting for paperback.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Master Fan

It sounds interesting. Something I might try in paperback since I normally never buy brand new authors in hard cover.

Thanks!

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I read it. Finished it last weekend.

Excellent! It follows Lee through all 4 years of boarding school.

I would write a more insightful review but my computer is dying ... but it was an excellent book that I couldn't put down. I started it Friday and finished it Sunday.
CourtneyS416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

prep by curtis sittenfeld

have you read it?

its a really good book!

Love Is Not Some Victory March
It's A Cold And It's A Broken Hallelujah

Ryan & Marissa

Literati

Breakfast Club

BeaSugarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Loyal Fan

ooo I liked this book. It was recommended to me by someone off here actually (struggling to remember who, so apologies).

Very good. I saw so much of myself as a obnoxious teen in there, I was physically cringing at some points
Old 05-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

yeah really!!!!

it makes you feel the same sensations of the character!!!

Love Is Not Some Victory March
It's A Cold And It's A Broken Hallelujah

Ryan & Marissa

Literati

Breakfast Club

BeaSugarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Passionate Fan

I read that book last year...My whole school was talking about it, cuz it's kind of like my school...same kind of people and it's a boarding (well, and day) school.

I really liked it though, and choose to use it as my "free choice book" for a 4th quarter english project last year.

I had to make a soundtrack of songs that summed up the book and had to give little summearies as to why I choose each one. It was pretty fun actually. lol
laurengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Loyal Fan

I know this is a book thread - but what songs did you choose?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved this book. I went to boarding school for two years, and I definitely saw a lot of similarities. I definitely recommend this book to anyone.

♥ mal
{icon by morgonrodnad}
MissAndieWitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star21
I know this is a book thread - but what songs did you choose?
I'm not sure some of them make all that much sense without my explanations lol, but here they are...

1. Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani
2. Bitch - Meredith Brooks
3. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
4. Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
5. Genuine - Stacy Orrico
6. Our Little Corner of The World - Yo La Tengo
7. Good Mother - Jane Arder
8. Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson
9. Mr. Brightside - The Killers
10. Your Body is a Wonderland - John Mayer
11. God Be With You Til We Meet Again - Church Choir
laurengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Passionate Fan

I just started reading the book and I love it! I just have to wait till my sister finishes the book so I can finish it! But I really do like it!
Don’t ever let me fall…
sleepneeded911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Master Fan

I hated this book. The main character was horrible and boring. Although it is somewhat accurate in its depiction of boarding school life, it is the cliched story.

I think more books need to be written on this subject.