Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Addicted Fan

Phantom by Susan Kay

Come on lets talk about it. Since the PotO is out. Im borwing the book from the libary right now LOVE IT so far.

Angie
Buffy/Angel, Pacey/Joey, Max/Liz, Brian/Justin, Charlie/Claire, Nancy/Hartigan, Wolverine/Rogue, Erik/Christine, Jack/Elizabeth, Mason/George, Mal/Kaylee Chiana/John, Peter/Claire, Daniel/Betty, Doctor/Rose, Bill/Sookie, Riddick/Jack, House/Cameron, Belle/Rumpelstiltskin
ANGELforBUFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think I'll go out looking for it this weekend.

Sasha
S.A.S.H.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have to go to my library and see if they have this book. I've been hearing good things about and I really want to read it. I also want to see if they have the original Phantom of the Opera.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

Favorite. Book. Ever.

I just adore this book. It moved me like no other book I've read. I have the first edition hardback....I wish they'd reprint it though so I could get a PB copy to read and take with me on trips and such, because I don't want to damage my HC but the prices of this book on ebay are insane and I could never find it in bookstores.

Angel4Buffy - What part are you on?

I'm not sure I have a favorite passage...I like every section for different reasons.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Addicted Fan

Im only on Giovanni's part and he's only like 14 or something.

So far im likeing Eriks moms part the best. BUT its ALL Good.

Angie
Buffy/Angel, Pacey/Joey, Max/Liz, Brian/Justin, Charlie/Claire, Nancy/Hartigan, Wolverine/Rogue, Erik/Christine, Jack/Elizabeth, Mason/George, Mal/Kaylee Chiana/John, Peter/Claire, Daniel/Betty, Doctor/Rose, Bill/Sookie, Riddick/Jack, House/Cameron, Belle/Rumpelstiltskin
Old 01-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Giovanni's part is heart wrenching...

If I had to narrow it down, I like Nadir's, and Erik's 2nd passage, and Erik & Christine's counterpoint near the end.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Addicted Fan

I absolutely love this book. I'd like to read it in English. Can't buy it anywhere though. And I'm not paying $40 on eBay for a used book...

If you enjoy Susan Kay's book, I recommend to also read the original story by Gaston Leroux.

Also, punctuation marks don't live in packs!

If you made that icon let me know. I'd be happy to credit you!
Caradeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Addicted Fan

This is one of my favorite books, and so is her book "Legacy," about Elizabeth I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradeangel
I absolutely love this book. I'd like to read it in English. Can't buy it anywhere though. And I'm not paying $40 on eBay for a used book...
Where are you? They have it on Amazon.com for $16.49, but that still seems like a lot. I got my roommate a brand new paperback version for like $7 at a bookstore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradeangel
If you enjoy Susan Kay's book, I recommend to also read the original story by Gaston Leroux.
I'm not so sure about that. I thought LeRoux's novel felt like total hack-work compared to Susan Kay's. I've never understood how that book could have spawned so many movies, not to mention at least two musicals and several other novels. I dunno, maybe it's better in French (I read an English translation).

Last edited by Crossbow; 01-20-2005 at 01:25 PM
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Addicted Fan

Oh, I adore Susan Kay's Phantom. I first read it when I was fifteen or sixteen and fell in love with it. It completely expanded upon Erik's character and his struggles. I found him to be a very sympathetic character despite his flaws.

Spoilers

She made Raoul more sympathetic without taking away from Erik and Christine's relationship. The bit about Christine looking like his mother was rather interesting. He had wanted to please that woman for so long. I really loved the parts with Nadir.

Gabrielle
Old 01-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Addicted Fan

I or We Just got to Nadir's part. I cant wait to read it.

Its taking me a LONG time to read it when normally it wouldnt cause I like it ALOT and cant wait to find out what happens.

But the reason its taking me so LONG to read it is because my mother wants to read it 2 and because her eyes are going and she almost cant read small print anymore I'm reading it outloud every night for a half a hour or so.

Angie
Old 02-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELforBUFFY
I or We Just got to Nadir's part. I cant wait to read it.

Its taking me a LONG time to read it when normally it wouldnt cause I like it ALOT and cant wait to find out what happens.

But the reason its taking me so LONG to read it is because my mother wants to read it 2 and because her eyes are going and she almost cant read small print anymore I'm reading it outloud every night for a half a hour or so.

Angie
That´s the part I`m at too, It´s realy sweet that you are reading to your mom
**Spikes kitten #6**
~Twisted Angel~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Addicted Fan

well thanks but it's getting harder not to read it on my own. Cause right now we're at Erik second part. OMG its getting really good.

Angie
Old 02-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

As soon as I get paid I'm going to go to a few used/rare books stores. I hope I can find a good copy at a good price. keeping fingers crossed
Old 02-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll
As soon as I get paid I'm going to go to a few used/rare books stores. I hope I can find a good copy at a good price. keeping fingers crossed
I'll pray for u ok. I'm trying to find it too. BUT no luck so far.

Angie
Old 02-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Loyal Fan

I rented it at the library, but I always get so sad when I have to return a book I realy loved reading I´m strange in that way...
**Spikes kitten #6**
~Twisted Angel~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread