Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Supreme Fan

November Book Club: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Alrighty - it's November and our monthly book club book chosen by you for this month is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins!

Quote:
Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When her sister is chosen by lottery, Katniss steps up to go in her place.
I see this all the time when I go to Barnes and Noble and can't wait to read it! Let the discussion begin!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I saw that the other day at the bookstore but I had a couple things on my list so I'll have to either see if there's a copy at the library or wait for payday to get it. Either way, I want to read this book.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Elite Fan

I'm waiting for my hold on Catching Fire to be much lower before taking out Hunger Games. Hopefully that'll be soon.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

I'm thinking of buying the book, but I'm so broke right now.
dive into you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Supreme Fan

I think I'm going to have to buy it because all the copies at my library are out and there are a ton of holds on them...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I went to a local grocery store today to buy a combination lock for work, and they had a copy of The Hunger Games for $5.00 off the price all the bookstore had it. So I went on and got it since it was their last copy and I didn't want to risk it not being there when I came back. It looks really good. Hopefully I'll get the chance to start reading it sometime this weekend.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
I think I'm going to have to buy it because all the copies at my library are out and there are a ton of holds on them...
Ditto. There are tons of holds on it at my library also. I looked up on this book, and it sounds incredibly intriguing!! I love post-apocalyptic books. It sounds like a good read.

Rukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Master Fan

I don't want to spoil anyone, but I absolutely love this book.

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Supreme Fan

That's good to hear because I went out and got it tonight! I'm excited to start it!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like this series a lot. It had a really good storyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
Yeah, I went to a local grocery store today to buy a combination lock for work, and they had a copy of The Hunger Games for $5.00 off the price all the bookstore had it.
How much did you end up paying for your book?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

Just brought the book today and I am starting to read it
dive into you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkles (View Post)
I like this series a lot. It had a really good storyline.

How much did you end up paying for your book?
I ended up paying $13.00 for the hardback (I don't think I've ever seen it in paperback so that may be the only edition).

I just started reading yesterday before work. So far, I really like it. I can't wait to get the chance to read more.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'll have to skip the book club for this month since my library is currently closed because they moved, but I'll follow this discussion. I've heard about The Hunger Games on a few blogs and it sounded interesting, but maybe a bit too dark for me to read until summer (I have seasonal depression and tend to read lighter books in the fall and winter). It's funny because I've been hearing a lot of comparisons between The Hunger Games and Graceling.
Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 PM
New Fan

I just started reading yesterday before work. So far, I really like it. I can't wait to get the chance to read more.
bushafus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I like this book so far. I'm about 80 pages in (I just started chapter seven after Katniss has seen the "traitor" she recognizes from the woods). I really like the complexities of the book and can't wait to get more into it.
Reply   Post New Thread