Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Master Fan

New Releases and Book News

Hello,

I thought we could use a thread were we post new releases, events, and other news about books.

Here are some of the books coming out in the next few weeks. Thanks to Barnes and Noble online.

This week releases:

Being Perfect by Anna Quindlen
Superstition by Karen Robards
The Innocent by Harlan Coben

W/O May 2nd

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
A Lotus Grows in the Mud by Goldie Hawn
Down Came the Rain: My Journey through Postpartum Depression by Brooke Shields
Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris

W/O May 9th

Broken Prey by John Sandford
Genevieve by Eric Jerome Dickey
The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard
Sly Moves: Stay Fit, Eat Right, and Unleash the Champion within You by Sylvester Stallone
Countdown by Iris Johansen

I'm looking forward to Dead As A Doornail!! But it sounds like there are a lot of great books coming out this summer. *dances around the room*

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Moderator Support Team

Dead as a Doornail sounds fun by the title.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Master Fan

yeah it is about a mind reader who is friends with Vampires. Part of the Southern Vampire series. I love those books!! I read all of the other books in like 2 days I have been waiting for this book for months

Old 04-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

Vampires!!!

Hehehehehehe................
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I was going to start a similar thread.

There are several books coming out in the next few months that I'm really looking forward to. On May 24, Lois McMaster Bujold's new book The Hallowed Hunt is being released. I already have it on reserve at the library.

Then on June 28, It's in His Kiss by Julia Quinn (the second to last Bridgerton book) and The Misted Cliffs by Catherine Asaro both come out. I'm going to buy both that day but I'll have a hard time deciding which one to read first.

I mostly depend on the following sites for book release info:
http://www.locusmag.com/ForthcomingBooks.html
http://www.romanticsf.com/forthcoming.shtml
http://www.likesbooks.com/coming.html
They are all genre-specific though.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Master Fan

ooh thanks for those links Soz! I have bookmarked them!!

Old 04-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
ooh thanks for those links Soz! I have bookmarked them!!
No problem Kim. I have way too many of the books on those lists on my wish list.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Master Fan

I put all the books I want this summer in my calendar. ALL of my favorite authors have stuff coming out! Right now I have 9 hard covers I have to buy this summer.

And of course remember that Harry Potter is coming out July 16th! heheh I'm picking it up at midnight

Also on the Today Show they had Harlan Coben and his pick of the month. A new book called "History of Love" by Nicole Krauss. A Link to the story about the book Check it out! It looks like an amazing book! I'm certainly going to Borders later to see if I can find it.

Last edited by k46; 04-26-2005 at 07:53 AM
Old 04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I know, I have so many books to buy too. In addition to the ones I mentioned, there are a few paperbacks coming out in the fall that I'm desperate to get. I usually get the hardcovers from the library and buy the paperbacks when they come out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the new Harry Potter book. I have it on reserve at the library but if the Science Fiction Book Club gets it earlier than they did OotP, I might order it from there- especially if I'm way down on the library reserve list.

I forgot to mention that I also use the Harper Collins Author Tracker to keep track of new releases: http://www.authortracker.com/ Most of my favorite authors are published by Harper Collins, so it's really convenient for me.

Oh, and I also forgot to mention the Science Fiction Book Club exclusive (for now, but there is a paperback planned for next year) anthology Down These Dark Spaceways. I will probably order it soon because it has a Catherine Asaro Skolian story in it.

Last edited by Soz; 04-26-2005 at 10:57 AM
Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Master Fan

I was watching MSNBC and they were talking about how authors have sent a plea to Oprah to bring back modern books to her book club. Since modern book sales have dropped after she started going with classic books.

Full Story

Old 04-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
I was watching MSNBC and they were talking about how authors have sent a plea to Oprah to bring back modern books to her book club. Since modern book sales have dropped after she started going with classic books.

Full Story
That probably wouldn't be a bad idea since the publishing industry is in so much trouble right now. It's sad that book sales have dropped so much. Even the new Harry Potter book probably won't have much of an impact on overall book sales figures.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Master Fan

Part of me though is glad that the book club is gone. I worked in a bookstore when her book club was around and I always wondered why people couldn't come up with their own ideas. But at least after a few months the publishers would send the books before hand so you would be ready for the mass of people looking for the book

It is a sad thing about how sales are dropping in the book industry. I think more time should be spent marketing towards kids lit. so they grow up to be great readers!

Old 04-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
W/O May 2nd
Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
Ooh...a new Palahniuk book. Thanks for posting that. I didn't know about it.

I usually prefer to read off a hardcopy rather than my computer screen so I usually depend on the Borders newsletter, Entertainment Weekly, and my local newspaper for info on new releases. Although I do use the HarperCollins authortracker as well and PAGES online is a pretty good site. (Although I tried to subscribe to their magazine by way of internet a couple years ago and they never sent it to me. I finally snail-mailed a request for it last month, hopefully that works.)

I never really liked Oprah's Book Club. It's great that she promotes books, but I just don't like how they put that Oprah seal on the cover and suddenly everyone in the world wants it. I mean, it's just like people buying a shirt with a brand name emblazoned on the front that they wouldn't have bought otherwise. I hate that. But strangely enough, there are many people out there who will do almost anything Oprah says. I guess that's just the way it will always be.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

The Oprah club actually bothers me too, especially since she's such a snob toward genre fiction. I hate to tell her, but several of the books she featured had speculative and romance elements, yet she said they would never read science fiction, fantasy, or romance. You'd think she'd at least try Octavia E. Butler, Nalo Hopkinson, or one of the few other African American SF authors out there.

She did help sell books, but I agree, people should be able to pick their own books without Oprah telling them what to read.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Master Fan

I can't tell you how many times people would come into the store saying "it was on the Oprah show" and that was all the info they would give you!! Man hello I was working when the show was on.. I need more info and she use to pick books that were out of print or that we only had 1 copy of

Reply   Post New Thread