Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

New Adult [01]: A new coming of age category--as it relates to growing up and becoming an adult.

NEW ADULT ----

What are New Adult books?
There is quite a lot I could say about what makes a book New Adult, but explained in its simplest form they are books that are about and are aimed at “new” adults. In the same way that YA books are aimed at 13 – 17 year olds (ish) NA books are aimed at readers who are roughly 18 – 25 years old.
NA books are about the main character learning to be an adult. Often in books they are living away from their parents for the first time at college or they might be struggling with their first job.

Are New Adult books all about sex?

No. This is a common misconception people have about NA because of the way it has been portrayed by journalists. New Adult books do generally have more sex than Young Adult books but this makes sense if you think of the characters ages. 20 year olds are almost definitely going to have sex at some point, 15 year olds, not so much. Also as these books are aimed at slightly older readers authors don’t have to be scared to write sex scenes; if they feel that is where the characters are going then it will probably happen.
Sex in NA books is like sex in adult books, it might happen but not be described, it might be described in detail or it might not even happen at all. I have read some NA books that are less sexual than your average YA.

Are New Adult books only contemporary?
No. New Adult is an age category not a genre, it can and does encompass all genres. Currently NA is completely dominated by contemporary romance, this is because it was contemporary authors such as Jamie McGuire, Tammara Webber, Abbi Glines and others who got the category well known. It is already starting to grow and there are many new and future releases that are other genres.

more about NA - Read HERE

NEW ADULT TITLES

01. Easy by Tammara Webber
02. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
03. On Dublin Street by Samantha Young
04. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
05. Slammed by Colleen Hoover
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 AM
Elite Fan

Jen - Thank you for making this So what are some you have read?
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

I own Pushing the Limits. I haven't read it yet. I read a indie book that's new adult with a touch of Dystopian called "Persistence of Vison" by LK Hill
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Elite Fan

What did you think of it?
I read the link you provided and I think its interesting that its so new as an idea to be marketed.
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. It was pretty good

Yeah I think it's good to have a different age group such as this.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Elite Fan

I read in a writing magazine that it wasn't until like 6 years ago that they actually realized that there was a market for books with native american heroes and heroines, so there was this part of the market untapped for all that time. Thats basically what it sounds like they figured out here that they could broaden and tap a market that was very large.

I read through some of the books that good reads said were NA and it seems like there are a good many good girl/bad boy stories out there.
-Pammie

Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I have noticed the pairings tend to be bad boy/good girl things in NA.

Yeah. I read about that too They want to try expand the readership, and how it's natural how people would want to read more related to themselves, as new adults, and coming of age books.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Elite Fan

Oh that's interesting, I hadn't really heard anything about this before.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Elite Fan

I hadn't heard anything about this category until I saw it on dateline (which was a bit misleading about it)
-Pammie

Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The only one I've read is The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen.

The overall plot was ok, I just had issues with the book. It read more like a fanfic, and some things in the book wouldn't/couldn't happen in real life.

But the genre is intriguing.

April
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Elite Fan

The two books I am most interested in right now are Slammed by Colleen Hoover, and Losing it by Cora Carmack. the second of which comes out Tuesday.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

April, I think there is gonna be a sequel to that actually 2 more books.
The Forever of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #2)
The Temptation of Lila and Ethan (The Secret, #3)

And she has another one kinda like that..

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden
Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I haven't read anything, but I'd be interested in trying out some to see if I like them. Maybe On Dublin Street.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Belle, I have heard that's a good one
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Elite Fan

I've only heard of the first two books on the list. Easy is supposed to be good, I think, but I've only heard really negative things about Beautiful Disaster.

I think I would be interested in reading this genre, but if it's an extension of YA and has more intelligent and mature streams than YA is allowed.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread