Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Native American books

How many of you are into books about Native Americans?

I've always been into them but it wasn't until just recently, when I got to visit Little Bighorn that my interest grew even more.

Some of the books I plan on reading are "Into the West" and "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee".
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

I loved "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee".

Some other goods ones are:
Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto by Vine Deloria, Jr.
Prison Writings: My Life is My Sun Dance by Leonard Peltier

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Moderator Support Team

I have never read one.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm Cherokee so most of the books I read are related to Cherokee and most of them aren't biographies but more like the myths and legends of the Cherokee and then I have a few on the Trail of Tears and a book on all Native American tribes around North America and some in Mexico.
The best one I have is called Spirits of the Earth by Bobby Lake-Thom. It's a guide to Native American nature symbols, stories, and ceremonies.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Extreme Fan

I don't know if you can count the books I've read to what you're referring to, but so far I've read:

- Ride The Wind & Fearless by Lucia St. Clair Robson

- Brother Wind: A Novel, Call Down The Stars, Mother Earth Father Sky, My Sister The Moon & Song Of The River by Sue Harrison
Jebony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Addicted Fan

I loved Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog. One of the most informative books I've ever read.

Indian Givers by Jack Weatherford is THE most informative book I've ever read. I think it should be required reading for all Americans.

Water Lily by Ella Cara Deloria. It presents an incredibly idealized version of Dakota life, but it's still a good story.

As a kid, two of my favorite books were about Native American myths, but they're both out of print:

The Angry Moon by William Sleator - based on a Tlingit legend. Beautiful paintings. They're not on line so I scanned some: One Two Three Four

Whistling Two Teeth bu Naomi Averill. Story of a young - really young - plains Indian boy who goes on a vision quest. This one's REALLY out of print, like since 1942. You'll never find it, so take advantage of that link and go look at the awesome artwork.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Master Fan

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee is an amazing book.

The best fiction book dealing with Native Americans that I've ever read is called Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko.

From B&N online:

Quote:
Tayo, a young Native American, has been a prisoner of the Japanese during World War II, and the horrors of captivity have almost eroded his will to survive. His return to the Laguna Pueblo reservation only increases his feeling of estrangement and alienation. While other returning soldiers find easy refuge in alcohol and senseless violence, Tayo searches for another kind of comfort and resolution.
Tayo's quest leads him back to the Indian past and its traditions, to beliefs about witchcraft and evil, and to the ancient stories of his people. The search itself becomes a ritual, a curative ceremony that defeats the most virulent of afflictions -- despair.
A great book! She has several other books which are also really good. Her second best IMO is Almanac of the Dead

Thanks for all of the other suggestions. I will be sure to check some of them out

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread