Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Mystery books

I thought there was a thread on this, but I can't find it. I'm sure a mod will correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm just getting into mysteries. Never liked them - I thought the Sherlock Holmes mysteries were pathetically obvious, and kind of blew off the whole genre. Plus, my parents read them, so [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]. However, I like historical novels and I started reading Barbara Hambly's "Benjamin January" series, then I read {The Beekeeper's Apprentice[/i] by Laurie King, and now I'm reading the "Lovejoy" books by Jonathon Gash. Has anyone else read those? I don't know how many there are, but I know there are at least 12 and I only have about 5 of them.

Oh, and I also liked "The Bookman's Wake" and "Booked to Die" by ... Dunning? Is that the name?

[ 10-14-2003: Message edited Crossbow ]
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Passionate Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]Hi Crossbow

Whenever there is a mystery thread on this board it seems to always fade off into oblivion. Personally, I find that rather odd because I always thought mystery/suspense/thriller was one of the most popular genres out there.

I read a lot of contemporary mystery. Women sleuths/police procedrals are my favourite...although I have a soft spot for romantic suspense too. I don't think I've read any historical mystery before but I'm willing to give it a try.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Addicted Fan

Mystery IS a really popular genre, but I think it's more popular with older people, and FanForum is mostly younger people. My parents are both heavy into it, but they didn't start reading it until they were in their 50's. I'm 36 and only just getting into it - and I'm even friends with 2 mystery writers and still never read it.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

I never liked mysteries much until I read the Nero Wolfe series. I loove them because they have a sense of fun in them. I've read a couple of others but I always go back to Nero Wolfe and of course Archie Goodwin. Archie was why I read them. Has anybody else read the series?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Passionate Fan

hmmmm...I'm 29 and I've always liked mystery as far back as I can remember(Nancy Drew, Christopher Pike) . Then again, I also liked watching classic B&W movies when I was 12 too...so maybe my taste in fiction is somewhat off the norm. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Nowadays I'm more into suspense than I am into mystery...in the sense that I don't necessarily need the story to be a "whodunit" in order to enjoy it. But I do still like mysteries that have that twist ending that catches you completely by surprise.

Here are a few books I would recommend from this genre:

Stealing Shadows by Kay Hooper (psychological suspense)
Out of the Shadows by Kay Hooper (psychological suspense)
Deadly Legacy by Robin Burcell (police procedral)
Mercy by Julie Garwood (romantic suspense)
Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (mystery/humour)
In Death series by J.D. Robb (police procedral/future)
Storm Warning by Dinah McCall (romantic suspense)
Deadly series by Brenda Joyce (historical romance w/ mystery)
Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard (romantic suspense)
A Thin Dark Line by Tami Hoag (police procedral)
Last Breath by Michael Prescott (police procedral)
Ugly Duckling by Iris Johansen (action/suspense)

[ 10-15-2003: Message edited thescoobygang ]
Old 01-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

thescoobygang: What a great list! I think I've read most of those. I've been reading mystery series since I was a teenager. I started with Lawrence Sanders' series and have worked my way through many different writers and styles.

Has anyone read Charliane Harris' is a fun quick read if you like a supernatural/humor twist with your mystery novel.

Patricia Cornwall is a favorite of mine too.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Patricia Cornwall is my mom's favorite. She also likes Nero Wolfe and Tony Hillerman. For some reason, though, the only ones that grab me are the historical ones. I think maybe I like seeing how they figure things out without the benefit of fingerprints or blood typing.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

Have you ever read The Alienist by Caleb Carr? It is set at the turn of the century and focuses on the the development of forensics...it's amazing. The sequel Dark Angel is also very good.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Master Fan

I like Patricia Cornwell and though Blowfly was the best of her recent books.

Charlain Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books are wonderful. Does anyone know when the next one comes out?

I'm reading the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr right now. Anna is a park ranger (as is/was Barr). So far each book has been set in a different National Park and it's interesting to get different settings.

Karin Slaughter has a good series, the Grant County series. They're very graphic in dealing with rape, torture and child sexual abuse so they might not be for everyone.

jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Master Fan

I've been a mystery fan ever since I started reading Nancy Drew a long time ago. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

A lot of the mysteries I've read are YA, and the two best authors in that genre, Lois Duncan and Joan Lowery Nixon. I still pick up their titles for a quick engaging read now and then.

My favorite mystery book was Yesterday's Child by Sonia Levitin. I was so into the story that I think I faked being sick or something so that I could stay home from church to finish it.

Now I really like Mary Higgins Clark, especially her older books. Lillian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who..." series is good, and the Jane Jeffrey series by Jill Chruchill are fun and totally light murder mysteries.

When I have time I'm finally going to read Agatha Christie's And Then there were None. A very long time ago I read The Body in the Library but really don't remember much of it.

Another book on my shelf is The Other by Thomas Tryon. I'm not sure if it's a mystery or a supernatural thriller, but my mom and my sister both reccomended it to me.
--Rachel
Old 01-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Surya:
<STRONG>Have you ever read The Alienist by Caleb Carr? It is set at the turn of the century and focuses on the the development of forensics...it's amazing. The sequel Dark Angel is also very good.</STRONG>
Yes, I loved those!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jennarose:
<STRONG>Karin Slaughter has a good series, the Grant County series. They're very graphic in dealing with rape, torture and child sexual abuse so they might not be for everyone.</STRONG>
Nope, definitely not for everyone. I tried to read Blindsighted and it gave me the creeps [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I guess I'm too squeamish for that kind of stuff. But I still ended up buying KissCut though...in case I'm ever in the mood to get the heebie jeebies again. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The next mystery I'll read will probably be Cold Case by Robin Burcell.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

I love mysteries.

I'm just starting a new one today called Innkeeping with Murder by Tim Myers.
AlienSyzygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Master Fan

Yesterday I got a book by Mary Stewart called Nine Coaches Waiting out the library. I've only read the first chapter or so but it seems pretty good so far. Anyone here read books by here?
--Rachel
Old 02-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Extreme Fan

I was completely addicted to Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys when I was younger... [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] Good times...

The latest mystery/suspense books I've read were all written by Dennis Lehane. I've read most of his Patrick/Angie series (fell in love w/ them & w/ Bubba) and "Mystic River". "Shutter Island" was the only one I hadn't gotten my hands on yet...

I've been looking for a good mystery book to read, glad I lurked on by this thread b/c all the books/series named sound like great suggestions [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Joan of Arcadia
Thank you for the ripples.
Sweetwater Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread