Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't remember what happened with who Molly was with. I remember it wasn't who he was suppose to be.

April
Drunk On You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

I believe there was a guy from where they used to live (New York, London?) who both girls liked. He was not whom he seemed to be and posed as some guy who Molly met and ended up working with him at.. a restaurant? but he was disguising himself and said his name was...the same guy that her sister was seeing. Think he was after something of their mothers?
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes that was it.

April
Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

She didn't have it easy, for sure.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Just started reading 'Somewhere in Between'. I know its not based on Melissa's life, but I believe.. inspired by it.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What's it about?

April
Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

This is the Aus cover, The USA over is here

Quote:
Jasmine de los Santos has always done what’s expected of her. Pretty and popular, she’s studied hard, made her Filipino immigrant parents proud and is ready to reap the rewards in the form of a full college scholarship.

And then everything shatters. A national scholar award invitation compels her parents to reveal the truth: their visas expired years ago. Her entire family is illegal. That means no scholarships, maybe no college at all and the very real threat of deportation.

For the first time, Jasmine rebels, trying all those teen things she never had time for in the past. Even as she’s trying to make sense of her new world, it’s turned upside down by Royce Blakely, the charming son of a high-ranking congressman. Jasmine no longer has any idea where—or if—she fits into the American Dream. All she knows is that she’s not giving up. Because when the rules you lived by no longer apply, the only thing to do is make up your own
I'm up to the part where her parents tell her they are illegal immigrants. I can't even imagine how Jasmine must be feeling. Makes me feel blessed to be born into a good country. The fear of being deported must be terrifying.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I might pass on that. Immigration is a touchy subject right now. I'm a believer in deporting those that are here illegally. I don't have a problem with immigrates. Just do it the right and legal way. The description kind of reminds me of a news story not long ago. There was a high school girl that got a full scholarship and she was bragging on twitter or fb about how she was here illegally.

Also Melissa posted on twitter not long ago on how I think it was recently or that day where her and her husband were flying to Paris and when they got in Paris they were stopped bc they didn't realized their visas was expired or something like that. Customs actually let them through and didn't hold them for long.

April
Old 03-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I know it's a touchy subject at the moment, but I thought the book was great. I think every immigration case is different and should be treated as such. I don't have anything against immigrants, I feel for those who want to make a better life. But there are cases like Jasmine's who grew up in the US, has everything going for her -- getting a scholarship and about to go to college to realise their visas have expired, and I guess were too afraid to say anything and hoping something would come up like a bill or law that will help them.

It was a heartfelt and emotional story. I can understand how Jasmine and her family would not want to go back to the Phillipines after making a life in the US, knowing that's where they belonged, yet the government doesn't always agree.

Her father annoyed me with his negativity, preparing to be deported, even when there was hope. I guess he was preparing for the worst.

I also felt for their parents. They came to the country on temporary working visas when they got jobs with a family friend, but when that business went under and he went back home, her parents visas then were invalid since I guess they were for that particular job, so fearing of deportation, they tried to find work without having to show their papers; which worked for a while , til now.

I'm in the mind that if you come on purpose illegally, then yes, you should be deported; but if you came on a visa but certain circumstances changed that, that there should be a way to work things out especially if you have been there for a long time and its home for you. Like this story.

I was reading Melissa's author note at the end of the book how she drew on her experiences when she and her family immigrated when she was 13, and she had trouble with the immigration process and it took over 20 years to get her green card and citizenship.

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 03-08-2017 at 05:21 AM
Old 03-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'm in the mind that if you come on purpose illegally, then yes, you should be deported; but if you came on a visa but certain circumstances changed that, that there should be a way to work things out especially if you have been there for a long time and its home for you. Like this story.
Yes.

Quote:
I was reading Melissa's author note at the end of the book how she drew on her experiences when she and her family immigrated when she was 13, and she had trouble with the immigration process and it took over 20 years to get her green card and citizenship
Oh wow.

April
Old 03-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's a very interesting story. I took photos of it from my phone. The photos will enlarge if you click on the pictures.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know anything about the story behind this, but this came out earlier this month

Quote:
Their romance shaped a nation. The rest was history.

1777. Albany, New York.

As battle cries of the American Revolution echo in the distance, servants flutter about preparing for one of New York society’s biggest events: the Schuylers’ grand ball. Descended from two of the oldest and most distinguished bloodlines in New York, the Schuylers are proud to be one of their fledgling country’s founding families, and even prouder still of their three daughters—Angelica, with her razor-sharp wit; Peggy, with her dazzling looks; and Eliza, whose beauty and charm rival that of both her sisters, though she’d rather be aiding the colonists’ cause than dressing up for some silly ball.

Still, she can barely contain her excitement when she hears of the arrival of one Alexander Hamilton, a mysterious, rakish young colonel and General George Washington’s right-hand man. Though Alex has arrived as the bearer of bad news for the Schuylers, he can’t believe his luck—as an orphan, and a bastard one at that—to be in such esteemed company. And when Alex and Eliza meet that fateful night, so begins an epic love story that would forever change the course of American history.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Finally met Melissa at Book Con. So worth it And bought the sequel to summer in east end, and her new book, Alex and Eliza.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's great.

April
Old 06-23-2017, 04:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

I had been wanting to meet her for years, so it was worth it. Looking forward to the 2nd YA witches book. And her other one, which I don't know the history behind. But something that its related to hamilton?
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top