Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Supreme Fan

March Book Club: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Alright, everyone. The voice of the people has spoken and the book for this month is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This is what Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more has to say about the book:
Quote:
Born in India, the unattractive and willful Mary Lennox has remained in the care of servants for as long as she can remember. But the girl’s life changes when her mother and father die and she travels to Yorkshire to live with her uncle. Dark, dreary Misselthwaite Manor seems full of mysteries, including a very special garden, locked tight for 10 years. With the help of Dickon, a local boy, Mary intends to uncover its secrets.

I adore this book. It's been ages since I've read it but I may try to get my hands on a copy tomorrow and read through it in the next couple of days since I'm ahead on reading for school. So, let the conversation begin.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Total Fan

I just finished reading it. I had actually never read it before, only saw the movie a while ago.

I really loved it. The story is touching. I just love how Mary and Colin make eachother grow and change.

My favorite characters are probably Martha and her mother, even though we mostly ear of her from other characters. I was kinda surprised when she actually showed up at the garden at the end, I was expecting to never really meet her
Daph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Master Fan

I love this book as well. In the beginning we see Mary as a spoiled child, same with Colin, but they both learn and grow and it's absolutely lovely.
Brody♥Bilson
How Cute Is She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Total Fan

It's crazy how spoiled and mean they can be though, right? But you still feel for them because they received absolutely no love from their parents...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Supreme Fan

I need to try to get my hands on this book. I have a copy at home but I'd like to read it now. I'm going out today and may try to do it then. School is horrible, it takes away from my fun reading time, though I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing about work in three months.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Supreme Fan

I just got it last night and started reading it, but like you, work really cuts down on my available reading time Luckily it still allows me to come on FF

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Aww I have a beautiful illustrated edition of that book, but it's in German ^^ I'd love to read it in English... Especially since I read A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Maybe I come across an English version & reread it this month ^^
takeitgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Total Fan

I read it in French... doesn't matter, right?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I finished it yesterday.
It was really rather cute. I had never read it before and didn't really know what to expect but I enjoyed having something nice and happy to read.

Chrissy |
red velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved that book when I was kid and I like Mary and Colin they might have been spoiled but they become nicer as the story progress and through the gardens and they both did not experience love or much attention by their parents so I found it natural that they were like that in the begining
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Supreme Fan

I haven't finished it yet (not too much left!) but I too love Mary and Colin and just how similar they are even though Mary doesn't see it. I really loved the scene when he's having a fit and she comes in and puts him in his place

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, I really love that scene too! How she just throws his tantrum back in his face and won't have any of it. Only someone similar enough to him could have done that, would have thought to do that.

Chrissy |
red velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Supreme Fan

I just love how innocent Colin is even though he is a bit of a brat I'm at the part where Mary is telling him to his face (in a nice way) that he is really rude and he's just like, "I am?" - I think I would really dislike Colin if it wasn't for his and Mary's interactions. Throughout the entire scene where Colin first stands up and gets angry at Ben, he's just commanding orders to Dickon.

I am a little surprised as I only have 50 pages left (out of 300) and Ben has just found out about the three of them going into the garden. I thought that the happenings in the garden would start sooner and there would be more time of Dickon, Mary, and Colin tending the garden, getting to know each other even better.

Anyone else done or getting close to the end?

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Total Fan

I'm done! I too was surprised, I thought the garden would come sooner. And I thought Mary would actually meet Dickon before she did.

It's kinda sudden, also, how Colin's father comes back... after his dream...
Old 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Master Fan

I love this book. Mary and Colin really grow from being spoiled to more aware of their surroundings and it is such a children's book. As I am rereading this book, it totally takes me back to when I was a child & I read this book.

As for reading it in other languages- it shouldn't matter because the book is so adorable!!
Brody♥Bilson
How Cute Is She is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread